In which Mania guides you through bits of pop-culture trivia that connect U2 to The A-Team...
1. U2 is the Irish rock band who was poised to launch the American leg of their much-anticipated 360º Tour this month. However, the tour has been postponed due to a back injury suffered by Bono which includes "a severe compression of the SCIATIC NERVE”
2. SCIATIC NERVE is a major fiber found in humans and many other animals. In the Jewish Religion consumption of sciatic nerve is forbidden. The reason for this is out of reverence to the epic biblical struggle between an Angel and the patriarchal figure JACOB.
3. In the bible JACOB deprives his rebellious twin brother Esau of his birthright and the two engage in a bitter, life-long struggle. The story parallels that of the two characters, one of whom is named Jacob and one of whom goes unnamed, in the TV series LOST.
4. In the LOST episode "Flashes Before Your Eyes" Eloise Hawking illustrates the futility of defying fate by pointing out a man notable only in that he's wearing a business suit with red sneakers. The shoes are P.F. Flyers, which have been around since the 1930s. The company caused a sensation in 1964 when they offered with their shoes a promotional Jonny Quest DECODER RING.
5. DECODER RINGS were featured on early adventure serials on radio and TV and were incorporated into shows Little Orphan Annie and Captain Midnight. Kids could use their devices to decode messages in the show. The same sort of interactive link between TV and product was taken to an exasperating extreme in 1987 when Mattel designed electronic toys designed to interact with the TV series CAPTAIN POWER AND THE SOLDIERS OF THE FUTURE.
6. CAPTAIN POWER was short-lived and only ran for one season. It was one of the few starring roles for actor Tim Dunigan who was previously denied his shot at fame. You see, Dunigan was the first actor to play Lt. Templeton "Faceman" Peck in a TV series pilot. The role would later be recast to Dirk Benedict and the show became the phenomenon known as THE A-TEAM