All BryanWay's Comments

<<  <  9 10 11 12 13 >  >>

"300" (Article) - 3/2/2007 12:22:40 PM

Unfortunately, I got to the advance screening late and had to sit in the second row, so my neck was up the entire time (I guess it was sort of like seeing it in IMAX). The effects aren't necessarily bad, though some of the blood looked like it squirted straight out of a video game, it's just obvious that they were trying to make practically every shot with a digital background epic. The problem with that is that it calls attention to itself when it should not, and it can even distract the viewer from the action and dialogue. It's not on my personal must see list, but I am glad that I saw it. If you liked Gladiator, Troy, Lord of the Rings, et. al., you'll thoroughly enjoy this one too.

"Zodiac" (Article) - 3/2/2007 1:56:24 AM

I don't see anything negative in here that would suggest a 'minus' being tacked on to the score. Is this because the idea of just giving an A is too frightening?

"300" (Article) - 3/1/2007 7:42:57 PM

Well, Bryan Way is my name, so more often than not I use my name as a handle. Only a few people I've ever met call me 'Bryan Way' in person. I prefer just Bryan.

"300" (Article) - 3/1/2007 5:54:53 PM

First of all, please, just call me Bryan. Second, I haven't defeated the purpose of going to see movies. Film is both a medium of entertainment and of artistic expression. Even the cheesiest overblown action movie has artistry to it, and artistry invites criticism. When I watch a movie, any movie, I can divide my brain into two sections; one looks for continuity errors and general poor execution and the other is entertained. I have a VERY good time being entertained while simultaneously criticising, because I find the criticism fun as well. The B- is an excellent grade for a movie, I'm just stating that it's not Citizen Kane or even Lord of the Rings.

"300" (Article) - 2/28/2007 7:02:21 PM

Christ, I'm not tearing it apart, I gave it a B-, not an F. I know that at least one background in every movie not in the last five years, but TEN years have been manipulted with digital processing or a computer, but the Lord of the Rings, a fantasty trilogy, managed to look more realistic than this movie. I don't really want to be an easy sell, that's why I prefer critiquing movies to just watching them.

"300" (Article) - 2/28/2007 11:23:53 AM

The Phalanx is pretty cool, and an excellent way of fucking up an army that's 3333.33 times bigger than yours, but some of the shots and moves seem to be taken directly from Troy, Gladiator, and the entirety of the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Brian Thomas is also right about the special effects being distracting rather than beautiful. Maybe it's just me, but I would have preferred that the monsters be kept to a minimum in favor of a more 'realistic' portrayal of the events, but I understand that this is the interpretation of Frank Miller's Battle of Thermopylae. Gerard Butler has a few moments of great acting, but most of the time it's just yelling and looking angry. Either that or the same smarmy expression when he thinks he's doing something cool. All that said, for a plot that's about non-stop killing, it's fairly cohesive. The action rises and falls at the appropriate times, and there's just the right amount of sentimentality coming from the Spartans, particularly Dilios and Leonidas. That's why I give it a 'B-'.

"300" (Article) - 2/28/2007 2:07:50 AM

Ehh. I don't think it quite deserves an 'A-', especially considering how notoriously conservative this website is with doling out high grades. This movie was too much like a combination of The Two Towers and Gladiator to make it particularly fresh. The 'rousing' speeches Leonidas makes sound too much like every other 'rousing' speech I've ever heard. I will admit, however, that I was left consistently wondering what the Spartans were going to do to stop Xerxes' advancements, and I was consistently pleasantly surprised by the results. Aside from that, I'd say the movie was too much of a standard fare for it to be anymore than a 'B-'. 'B' tops.

"Avatar" releasing Memorial Day weekend in 2009 (Article) - 2/23/2007 12:51:28 PM

I think Cameron has disappointed. The love story in Titanic should have been a subplot, and the main plot should have been based on the real people of the boat. The best part of the love plot was seeing Kate Winslet topless. After he won the Oscar, he practically disappeared, because apparently that was what he was going for. I hope for his sake, and the free world's, that after a ten year hiatus this next movie is good.

"Resident Evil: Extinction" Teaser Online (Article) - 2/21/2007 10:21:14 AM

I swore off of these rubbish piles when Romero was tossed off the project. The game had plenty of excellent plotlines and characters that could have been parlayed into an excellent movie, but naturally Anderson chose to do about the dumbest thing he could; come up with his own plot. I don't know about the rest of you, but when I want to go see a movie that was based on a book I read, I don't want to see them changing the characters, locations, and situations to make something new. I want to see a faithful interpretation. It can be done, such as Mortal Kombat, and Tomb Raider. The industry needs more dedicated gamers to be involved in these films.

Darren Lynn Bousman to direct "Saw IV" (Article) - 2/20/2007 11:43:36 AM

I've only seen/wanted to see the first one. Though creative death sentences are cool, they only work well if they serve the structure of the movie, rather than the structure of the movie serving the death scenes. The first movie was good for what it was, and though it was somewhat creative, it's too much like every other modern horror film. However, as long as audiences keep eating up the schtick, they'll keep going to see it. They'll probably make ten of these. I think creative death scenes peaked with the original 'The Omen', unfortunately.

BRYANWAY'S MANIACAL PERSONA