All CaptAmerica04's Comments

Showing items 1 - 10 of 1,247

THE PHOENIX PROJECT - Trailer (Article) - 12/16/2014 6:32:42 PM

This movie was made before. It was called "Flatliners."

And also "meh" with an extra side order of "pfah."

Mad Max: Fury Road - Official Theatrical Teaser Trailer (Article) - 12/10/2014 11:09:44 AM

I saw the entire film at a sneak preview on Monday.  It's amazing.  Definite B if not higher (depending on what you want to get out of it.)  It's 2 hours of vehicular warfare.  Tom Hardy is perfect as Max, possibly doing a better job as the "man of few words" survivor than Mel Gibson did in the originals.  Charlize Theron's Furiosa is a perfect partner for Max.  The villains are all the expected and appropriate hordes of screaming, mutated psychos that one wants in such a film.

For purists, the story does stray a bit from the series, but the spirit of George Miller's original is alive and well and kicking a LOT of post-apocalyptic ass.

Dialogue is minimal, and there isn't much backstory given on anyone, including Max, so if you didn't see the original or Road Warrior, you might feel like character development is non-existent.  And basically, it is.  This isn't a Lifetime Movie Channel, touchy-feely, let's-find-ourselves-and-learn-a-valubale-lesson-about-humanity film.  This is balls to the wall, V8 engines and jury-rigged weapons, huge explosions, and practical effects, in-your-face-and-kiss-my-ass-if-you-don't-like-it adrenaline-fest.  I seriously think that, if one were to do a time count of it, the characters spend a grand total of about 20 minutes out of their vehicles through the whole thing.  The rest is on the move, and most of that is stunts, booms, crashes, and roaring engines.

My only caveat to all of this is that we were all advised that we weren't seeing the final cut of the film.  In fact, they were doing another screening fo the movie in the theater next to the one I was in, with apparently a slightly different edit of the film.  (It did appear that most of the effects and CGI were in place, though.)  So my few complaints about lacking much character or backstory for the uninitiated might get handled before the May release.

I think the film was great fun, and I can't wait to see it again.

Jessica Jones is Krysten Ritter?! (Article) - 12/8/2014 8:44:58 AM

Definitely not my first choice for Jessica Drew, but we'll see what she can do.  Marvel hasn't gone wrong yet.

In Kevin Feige I trust.

The Winter of '84: Beverly Hills Cop (Article) - 12/8/2014 8:44:12 AM

This movie was, is, and will continue to be hilarious.  It's a comedy, not meant to be taken as a serious action or drama piece.  Your critique isn't so much wrong as I think it is misplaced.  It's clever where it needs to be clever, vulgar and hilarious where it should be, with just enough action and "detective mystery" to make it more than a 2-hour R-rated sitcom.  FAR worse has come and gone in the theaters both before and after this movie came out.  Beverly Hills Cop is a staple of 80s cinema, and a reminder of how awesome the 80s were.  Life and our movies, both, were not and did not feel the need to be "dark and gritty" all over the place, which, right about now, is getting to be a bit exhausting.  I think our entire American society could use a break from all the dark and gritty bullshit, and see a return to movies like this that don't try to take themselves so seriously.

First Look: AVENGERS: ULTRON FOREVER (Article) - 12/2/2014 3:30:09 PM

I am SO f*cking tired of all of these "epic" stories.  What happened to just being a comic book.  Not every story has to be "epic."  How about some small stories where we give a shit about the characters?  That used to be what Marvel excelled at.  I loved Captain America, Thor, and the Avengers in the 80s because the characters were developed and they evolved.  They engaged in more than just huge WWE-style mass brawls against these beyond-God level mega-villains.

Also, the art in comics in the last 10 years or so has sucked something awful.  I miss Steve Ditko, John Romita, and Walt Simonson.  Hell, even bring back Whilce Portacio and Rob Liefeld!  I am tired of paying $5.00 an issue for something that looks like my 10-year old drew it and my 2-year old colored it with her water colors, and reads like it was written by the best of the worst of professional wrestling script writers.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: A Fractured House Review (Article) - 11/3/2014 9:11:00 AM

B- is a little harsh for this episode.  I wasn't as great as the first couple from this season, but a B-?  That's being a little too critical and giving too much weight to the few scenes that didn't work AS well as the rest.

Constantine: The Darkness Beneath Review (Article) - 11/3/2014 9:06:36 AM

My wife and I felt like they showed this episode out of order (a la "Firefly" where the season never made sense because Fox was showing the episodes out of order).  What happened to the girl from the first episode?  Is Zed to be the regular female lead now?  And yes, the whole plot felt like a giant throwaway just to introduce Zed.

I AM excited about Papa Midnight being introduced next week!  Let's hope that this was just a misstep episode for the series and that we get back on track from here on out.

LEATHERFACE Origins Revealed (Article) - 11/3/2014 7:02:02 AM

LAME.

Doctor Strange is Benedict Cumberbatch! (Article) - 10/27/2014 1:22:12 PM

SCORE!!!  If this works out, I'll have a possibly terminal nerdgasm.

Constantine: Non Est Asylum Review (Article) - 10/27/2014 8:31:07 AM

I thought it was really good, and I disagree that it was over-full with stuff.  I'm glad that I don't have to sit around for 3-4 episodes being spoonfed small doses of the character to get into the story and the world just because Rule #3 of Television Production states that "All shows must be paced out for the general public who watches Maury Povich and The Real Housewives of New York" (i.e. morons).

I really enjoyed the first episode and I can't wait for next week!  I hope they can keep up the strong pace!

CAPTAMERICA04'S MANIACAL PERSONA