All DeeJay4ADay's Comments

<<  <  1 2 3 4 5 >  >>

Heyman Producing OSCAR PILL (Article) - 4/6/2011 3:21:08 PM

This sounds as if it could be interesting. As the written works lack the international profile of the Harry Potter books, I can't see this even reaching their level, but that doesn't mean it can't be successful. After all, the Narnia series has recently reminded us that even highly successful literary works are not assured box office successes.

Whatever the case, I hope the plot description consists of Jarrod's words and that they aren't taken from the publisher. Considering what might be the target audience, I can only envision endless "entering someone's body" jokes coming from smarmy teenagers... with some of them being so funny that they could actually decrease interest in the movie(s).

Top 1980s Properties That Need Their Own Movie 2 (Article) - 3/29/2011 9:39:39 AM

Sectaurs is particularly interesting. The property may now be owned by Hasbro, which would imply that the Symbion world is part of the Hasbro Universe. As it stands, I suspect to see the toy (and a few others)re-introducted sometime within the next 5 years, as some recently emerging technologies can allow a fresh take on the property.

More Captain America Trailer Teasing (Article) - 3/23/2011 4:50:38 PM

Everyone... the entire trailer is now online. It's on Entertainment Tonight's webpage, and also on Youtube (for the moment, at least)...

Deathly Hallows 2 Featurette Online (Article) - 3/18/2011 4:30:08 PM

Violator, et al

I know the book has been out for quite some time (and a lot of people have read it), but would the 3 of you be so kind as to not post spoilers?

Some people, by design, are waiting to see the story unfold in this very last segment.

Captain America: The First Avenger Trailer (Article) - 2/9/2011 6:29:15 PM

Well, I'd just like to concur with the compliments on this preview/TV spot. I've noticed that Evans has given the character a great deal of respect in interviews, and can see where Johnston is treating this movie as the biggest break in his career (which is already pretty accomplished). While I'm not expecting much from Nick Fury's cameo (it doesn't sound as if he'll have that much screen time... so it's somewhat of a step down from what Jackson's done thus far), I'm most interested in where Marvel is going with things. We know that they're eventually planning to go cosmic, and will likely reinvent a number of characters along the way. I previously submitted an (unpublished) Mania article about the untapped potential of Ant-Man, and think that movie has the potential to surprise people... though I don't see it doing as well as Captain America.

Despite last year's success with Tangled and the sale of Miramax, the Thor and Captain America movies are poised to give Disney some comparatively handsome profits this year... which is a year that's looking to be a game-changer for the superhero genre.

CAPTAIN AMERICA! (Article) - 1/14/2011 6:42:41 PM

Loco... to take a couple of pages from one of Lost's John Locke/Jack Shepherd dialogs, "DC has a movieverse. They just don't know it yet." Because "it's destiny." Honestly, I'm convinced that we'll see a DC movieverse due to the sheer inevitability of such a prospect. You do, however, bring up a good point when you write the "near future," though. There's some subjectivity as to what people deem to be "near" or "far" away... so I'm inclined to agree with you to the extent that I don't see this happening in th enext couple of years.

Wise... yeah, Nolan's really throwing a monkey wrench in all of this. Of course,the Green Lantern's tone looks a bit silly, and I almost wonder if it would be best to wait until Nolan and Bale are done with Batman before bringing that character into a DC movieverse. Still; if DC isn't careful they could *really* look like Johnny come lately's. Word on the street is that Hasbro views all of their properties as taking place within the same universe and, if true, that would offer some interesting opportunities down the road.

Movie Preview 2011 (Article) - 1/10/2011 5:05:53 PM

DaForce... while I respect your opinion related to Avatar (even though I don't agree with it), can you please let us know what's with all the negativity? Between the "Redneck movie night" comment, the derogatory analogy to the hearing impaired and blasting Wise (from what seems to be nowhere) is there something people on this site have done to tick you off?

Movie Preview 2011 (Article) - 1/7/2011 5:46:09 PM

Looking at the barrage of high-quality genre movies coming our way, it looks as if the most successful studios will be those that best know how to maximize their marketing strategies as well as tap into ancillary markets. Cars may prove to be the purest example of such a phenomenon. Rob... while Cars may have its detractors, the upcoming theme park will likely make this film one of the summer's most profitable endeavors (in the aggregate, at least).

When it comes to sheer box office numbers, I suspect that Transformers 3, the last Harry Potter and the upcoming Pirates of the Carribean pretty much have a lock on the top 3 spots. On the flip side, Green Lantern may turn into the 2011 Watchmen... unless the summer marketing campaign is rather tight and well-conceptualized (due to confusion with the nerd-directed Green Hornet and the movie's overly-silly premise). If nothing else, the 2011 box office season will raise questions as to whether anyone can truly determine what makes a move "good." At the same time, this is a year where 4th quarter DVD sales may have a relatively weak correlation with first-run box office numbers... but we shall see.

THOR Trailer Debuts (Article) - 12/13/2010 10:10:17 AM

This movie is a must-see for me... and has been that way for quite a while. I really like the decisions that've been made with this production, but hope that I haven't raised my expectations too high...

TREADER Continues Dismal Season (Article) - 12/13/2010 10:03:46 AM

I'm with Samurai. I think next weekend will be a different story... and suspect that a combination of weather, school calendars (e.g. most schools not yet being on break) and a shift in shopping patterns made last weekend somewhat strange. I don't know if it would've helped Dawn Treader, though. For the US market, I'm afraid that the production looked too much like a well-financed BBC  television production by way of PBS. That's not meant to be a slam... just to say that the visuals may not have done much to grab the US audience. This is particularly problematic when one considers the high visual concept moveis that have recently been marketed (Tron, Transformers 3 and, to an extent, even the comic book movies).

DEEJAY4ADAY'S MANIACAL PERSONA