All Devilcow's Comments

1 2 >  >>

7 Trippy Movies and the Drugs That Made Them (Article) - 3/4/2010 7:49:34 PM

Joe, a great article as always, but I confess that I'm a little surprised you left the Monkees' "Head" off the list.

10 Most influential women of Sci-fi (Article) - 3/4/2010 7:35:28 PM

Kswizzle... I loved Natasha Henstridge in both species movies, and as isgrimner correctly suggests, I do get "hot" and "influential" confused.   So by that standard Henstridge should be number one on the list.

Walker, I confess to not hsving seen Near Dark.  That will change.

And now to recap.... the consensus seems to be that the article should have been written thusly:

The Top 10 most influential women of Genre Films

1. Sigourney Weaver
  2. Nichelle Nichols
  3. Mary Shelley
  4. JK Rowling
  5. Linda Hamilton
  6. Gale Anne Hurd
  7. Angelina Jolie
  8. Carrie Fisher (actually no one's mentioned her, but I still think she's important)
  9. Sarah Michelle Gellar or Summer Glau
  10. Kathryn Bigelow (Look, I need her to tie into the Oscars... oh, and did I mention Iove Point Break)

Is that closer to the group mind?

BTW - I personally also like Tara Perry as an honorable mention.  The most recent Movie Maven rocked.  Also what about Felicia Day? She was groundbreaking in the as yet underdeveloped field of genre musicals when she starred in Dr. Horrible's Sing-along Blog.

10 Most influential women of Sci-fi (Article) - 3/3/2010 4:56:43 PM

Karas - great call on Sarah Michelle Gellar.  I love Summer Glau too, but it's hard to see her as influential.

About point break...  Bigelow made the list a) because of her connection with sci-fi due to strange days and Cameron....  Once she's established her credentials as a woman of sci-fi, then I examined her overall influence (on genre movies and society as a whole).  Thus the leap to point break, an influential movie.  Or at least it should be.

That's really how I was looking at this list.  Once a woman has genre credentials, then her influence on society as a whole became important.  That's really why Angelina was number one.   Sure she's not the most influential woman in genre movies.  Weaver has her beat by a mile.  But Jolie's impact on our culture has been bigger than Weaver's.  Or at least, I think that's an arguable position.

Also, she was great in Wanted.  An underrated film if you ask me.

10 Most influential women of Sci-fi (Article) - 3/3/2010 2:36:00 PM

Here you go Hanso... Roger Lodge had an office in the Blind Date production studios, but he rarely came in, because he'd tape all the intro and outros for the season in a few days on a seperate sound stage.  That being said, when he did come in he was pretty short, but man, his wife (I think, maybe GF) was super-sexy.  And yes, he always wore a cheesy leather blazer.

Redhairs... I hope you enjoyed the anti-Gale anne hurd clip.  As for Jovovich's age/nudity, we can certainly agree that she was hot in 5th element.  I thought she was nude and Of Age in 2 Moon Junction, but I was watching it through scrambled HBO, so please cut me some slack.  I must have been watching Sherilynn Fenn.  I did some fact-checking (something I do after an article is published), and it turns out Milla first gets nude at the the old age of 16 in "Return to the Blue Lagoon".  But no matter what, I strongly disagree about her needing enhancement surgery.  She is great-looking as-is!

Taydor.  I do care.  If you think the Mania paycheck is big, you should ask Hanso.  I confess to enjoy a little bit of trolling, but for the most part, I like the women on the list.

Jppintar - I remember a week or so ago when I wrote this, I had a reason for not inculding JK Rowlings, but for the life of me I can't remember what it was.  It couldn't have been a very good one, because I miss her on the list more than anyone.  Even Nichelle Nichols.   But I strongly disagree with youabout one comment...  I liked the first Resident Evil movie.

Axia777.  So long as you concede Point Break's awesomeness, I will concede its irrelevance.  But man, it's good.   Any excuse to have a clip from that movie is worth it.

10 Most influential women of Sci-fi (Article) - 3/3/2010 12:55:51 PM

Mason Brown here again.

MONTEZILLO: Does Mason Brown know anything about sci-fi... Well, let me ask you this... Does Mason Brown know anything about a dry spell that lasts throughout his teens? The answer, Sir, is yes! Therefore, I say to you, that my credentials are impeccable.

Bigelow is mostly on the list as a way to start the discussion. And because she had sex with James Cameron. That alone makes her influential in the sci-fi world.  Also, so help me, I love Point Break.   You may quibble and say, "that's not even close to sci-fi", but I don't care. I love it, love it, love it.  If loving Point Break is wrong, I don't want to be right.

To those who are upset at the co-mingling of genres under the rubric of sci-fi... well, you're correct.  But the title was getting to be a mouthful.   And "The 10 most influential women of the movies that nerds, geeks, and loners-who-run-comic-stores love" seemed like it might alienate the audience.  I know it made me feel bad about myself.

To those who think Sigourney Weaver should be at the number one spot.  Maybe.  Your points are well made. I don't think happen to think she be number one.  But I do concede that Galaxyquest was underrated.

10 Most influential women of Sci-fi (Article) - 3/3/2010 12:09:57 PM

Oh and as for Liv Tyler...  I love a woman who speaks Quenyan.  But yes, her major influence was on my pants.  Nichelle Nichols should have bumped her off the list.  I just forgot.

10 Most influential women of Sci-fi (Article) - 3/3/2010 12:07:26 PM

I concede 2 glaring errors...  1) Nichelle Nichols should have been on the list.   And 2) Dana Barros was an undersized shooting guard who still managed to become a one-time all-star with the philadelphia 76ers, and who later went on to have a disappointing season on the first fantasy basketball team I ever coached.  Why he was on my mind, I cannot say.

I stick by Jolie at the one spot.  Her influence on society at large is huge.  And she's way hot, so on the off chance she reads Mania and likes to bestow sexual favors on its writers, then my choice totally makes sense.

Yes, I know it's a long shot.  But a shooter shoots.  Just ask Dana Barros.

8 Gratuitously Sadistic Guilty Pleasure Movie Moments (Article) - 1/13/2010 3:51:53 PM

Hey all, Mason here.  A few thoughts... first off, great alternate ideas.  Creosote was hilarious, and so was Deap Blue Sea.   Great deaths.

As for the Titanic haters.... you're all correct.  The movie was terrible!  But in the end, the iceberg won, so that was good.   And the guy falling from the propeller makes me laugh with girlish delight every time.

7 Rules for Making THE HOBBIT Movie (Article) - 11/20/2009 4:29:59 PM

Jimini... I hope you're right about everything. I will certainly be checking the film site on December 8th.  And I also fear that if the first half splits at Bilbo getting the ring, there just won't have been enough stuff to make the first half into a whole film.  There are maybe 5 big events in that split... he meets Gandalf and the dwarves, encounters trolls, goes to Rivendell and relaxes, then gets captured by the Goblin King, and encounters Gollum.  All great stuff (and I'm probably missing something), but that's not a 90 minute film.   I strongly believe The Hobbit should be one movie, because I just don't see it stretching out to two and being that good.   Don't get me wrong, I really want to see Gandalf at Dol Goldur... but even that occurs in the second half, post-Beorn.

On one other note... I'm most curious to see who plays Beorn.   Beorn kicks major ass.  Similarly, if there's ever a gap part, I'm wondering what woman eventyally marries the guy who turns into a bear at night. Eventually, she has baby "beornings."  Do the babies turn into cute bear cubs after dark?  I admit it, I wanna see those baby pics.

Maniahasissues... I believe you may have some issues yourself, but I'm still pleased to have sunk to "most worthless mania article ever."  On a related note, I'm against censorship of any kind,  so it will please you to know that I've imagined a string of devastatingly well-placed obscenities that reduce me to a quivering, weeping mass of jelly.  I am currently typing while in a fetal position, sobbing softly.

Lobbygow.. that was an awesome reply.  I know this to be true, because it has been posted and it has been read.

StarlightGuard... when you come out to LA, you will realize that Story Producers are not to be slept with, merely abused.   You need to become a Co-EP to be worthy of sleeping with.

DrWimsey... you bet I'm worried about Deathly Hallows too!  I thought the "Half-blood Prince" was a big  drop, but maybe splitting up the Deathly Hallows will be a good thing.  I'm looking forward to re-reading it.  But to me, the Potter books and movies lost steam after the Goblet of Fire.  And I thought Azkhaban was the best... although why Hermione was initally given a device to turn back time just so she could attend extra classes was always beyond me.

7 Rules for Making THE HOBBIT Movie (Article) - 11/19/2009 6:51:06 PM

Almostunbiased...   I don't think I can win on the trolls comment.   It's just always been a pet peeve of mine that they turned to stone in the hobbit, but functioned fine in the LOTR.    I know they were seen, so it probably can't be changed, but what can I say... it's just always bugged me.

In regards to your earlier comment that they were under the dark cloud from Mordor during the fight for Minas Tirith...  all I can say is I don't think that those trolls would not have turned to stone.   For one thing, in the movie, they are operating the gate levers in the open sun.  For another, when the wind changes and Aragorn arrives, it seems clear that the sun starts shining again... yet no trolls turn to stone then.

In fact, Tolkien discussed this discrepancy in appendix F, when he noted that at the end of the third age a troll race appeared that had not been seen before, the Olog-hai.  Unlike the older race of "twillight" trolls, these trolls could endure the sun.  And, to me, these trolls are way cooler and scarier.

That being said...  I should probably back off the trolls point, since I'm quite clearly in the minority, and quite possibly in a minority of one.   Still,  I wish they had died another way.

DEVILCOW'S MANIACAL PERSONA