All Halfluck1's Comments

The Top 16 Most Important Video Games of All Time (Article) - 9/15/2011 3:51:40 AM

Um.... Civilizations? Kind of an important game. Wing Commander IV, where there was an entire movie? (Or was that WCIII?) Zork!

FRANKENSTEIN Heading to TV (Article) - 8/11/2011 6:20:30 PM

Batmite, I'm sure you meant Romantic and not Victorian, though the Victorian age did bring a fantastic amount of sci-fi.

Axia777, I wanted to like Branagh's Frankenstein, but it was just so cheesy bad. The blood and gore was over the top and not horrifying. The sexy bits were not sexy enough, and Kenneth's hair was out of control.

82nd Academy Award Winners Are (Article) - 3/8/2010 3:18:08 AM

death4sale: I knew Monique was a shoe-in for it, because the Academy loves to honor the "non-traditional" actors and roles in the supporting actors categories. If someone is going to win for a role in a comedy (or for playing a mostly comedic role), it'll happen in the supporting. There have been great women's directors, but they mostly craft movies for women, which the Academy doesn't always respond to. Or, they take the attitude, "Well, nominating it will be an honor enough." Look at how "The Piano" did back in the nineties.

I was surprised that Precious beat out Up in the Air for adapted screenplay.

HudsonTaco: The wars in Afghanistan/Iraq actually haven't had much success either critically or commercially (in movies that is). There have been a lot of great plays developed from the two wars, but I felt that "Hurt Locker" was the first serious movie about war that won. I do agree that sometimes the Academy gives awards based on career achievements, rather than the merits of the individual movie.

LOVELY BONES Trailer Tonight (Article) - 8/4/2009 7:58:33 PM

This is the last book I read that made me cry. Full on weeping on a plane. I read a lot (I'm an English teacher), and I can't tell you how rare it is for modern fiction to move me to tears. There are a number of good movies and tv shows that can get me, but books are rarer.

The better Peter Jackson comparison is to look at Heavenly Creatures. An awesome flick. (And Kate Winslet's first major role--naked no less).

Having said that I'm excited for this one, my wife is certain that Jackson will ruin it as the book is "unfilmable."

All films are unfilmable (except perhaps anything written by Dan Brown), but all books are adaptable.

DOLLHOUSE Season Two Premiere Set (Article) - 7/14/2009 5:08:15 AM

Firefly got cancelled because Fox put it in the Friday deathslot (which Dollhouse had this season). Specifically foxed wanted funny, wacky action adventure (not so much on the complex characters and slow, simmering, season-long plot development). Even though Fox hated the original pilot, they kept using the clip of Summer Glau as "the naked girl in the box" in all their commercials. (Whedon reveals a few of these gems on the commentary tracks in Firefly).

I've watched Dollhouse throughout the first season and loved it, as Whedon shows tend to improve over the course of the season. 1st season Buffy was very spotty with quality (I only started watching it at the end of season two), and even Whedon admits that the chemistry of cast and story wasn't set with Angel until the end of season two (when Lorne, Gunn, and Fred had all been introduced). The concept of Dollhouse and where Whedon intends to take it intrigues me; he gave an excellent interview on Fresh Air when Dollhouse started which was very illuminating.

I watched the first season of TTSCC, and found it to be slow, uneven, and relatively impactless. I wanted to care about it (being a fan of the leading ladies and of the Terminator movies), but if I missed a week or never got around to watching it on the DVR, I found that I didn't really have a huge desire to see it again.

TRUE BLOOD: Shake and Fingerpop Review (Article) - 7/14/2009 5:00:26 AM

Originally, I had Maryann pegged as some sort of maenad or Circe from Greek mythology--the reference to Pan, the Mediterranean vibe of her house, the feasts, and her fashion. The pig made me think Circe, transforming men into their true selves. The Earth goddess statue is supposed to be Mycenean? Or did the servant say it was Minoan (which would connect with the minotaur)?

And what about Daphne, who in Greek mythology had her father turn her into a tree in order to escape the love of Apollo?

True Blood (Complete First Season) (Article) - 6/11/2009 4:39:25 AM

I thought that this was a fantastic foray into the vampire-world, and just plain good television. There are a ton of dynamic characters and wacky subplots (as only an Alan Ball created, HBO series can). In some ways it reminds me of Twin Peaks (small town, weird characters, serial killer mystery) crossed with Buffy the Vampire Slayer and sprinkled with a little Tennessee Williams (for the Southern flair) and a healthy amount of attractive meet for both genders (and orientations). Some of the Southern accents are a little too strained, and I find that most annoying about Tara.

In terms of Twilight, I find it wholly unoriginal. I teach ninth grade, so I felt compelled to read the first book. It is like someone neutered Buffy the Vampire Slayer, threw in a little Romeo and Juliet, and oh, most importantly, forgot what good prose writing was. The female lead is just far too passive. You want good chick lit? Read some Bronte or Austen. You want good stories about teenage strife and love try reading Laurie Halse Anderson or watching My So-Called Life or the first three seasons of Buffy.

Unspecified Title (Article) - 8/14/2008 4:58:15 AM

I'm all for detailed description and a re-imagining of the Hero Cycle, and I really enjoyed the blending of different mythologies into the characters. That said, the last good book in the series was the fifth one (where Perrin saves the hometown). What kills me about it is the amazingly flat characterization of female characters. They are almost all virtually interchangeable. They all seem to tug on their braid or cross their arms underneath their bosoms. There is quite simply no feasible way for them to produce twelve films. Every studio is desparate for the next HP/LOTR, but it is so tricky. The Dark is Rising series died when they brutally savaged the first book, and the Narnia series is not fairing too well. And these are the series geared to the young adult crowd. As this is a more adult flavor (and complex in its narrative) it's going to be very difficult (expensive) to make it for anything higher than a PG-13 rating. Even condensing the plot of all twelve books to three films would simply leave too much to do.

D&D Co-Creator Passes Away (Article) - 3/4/2008 4:51:20 PM

I sort of feel like being back in high school when Gene Roddenberry died... This weekend I will definitely fire up the DND cartoon series and mourn his passage for d12 hours. Sigh.

One Comicscape, Many Subjects (Article) - 1/16/2008 5:55:04 PM

Merin, you have to push the Cyclops-Skrull retcon back further. It happened right before Cyclops lost to the powerless Storm... That's smarter than "Maddie's nascent powers allowed Storm to win." I hated that bit of Inferno.

HALFLUCK1'S MANIACAL PERSONA