All HansoSword's Comments

1 2 >  >>

Anti-Religion Not in GOLDEN COMPASS (Article) - 8/23/2007 11:18:43 PM

Well, this certainly has been a most interesting discussion. And I know that I am joining the party a little after the fact but I must say that this move doesn't surprise me in the least bit. I was pretty much expecting it after seeing the trailer. There was one thing missing throughout that struck me the very first time we got a glimpse of Lyra... she had no familiar! Now, with the obvious references to witchcraft I can't say that it strikes me as odd that they would have removed it from the film, but everything about these books (and the success and awards it has won in the Children's Literature market) I have always found a bit peculiar considering the obvious anti-religious overtones. It just seems weird that (un-edited) the novels managed to sneak under the microscope of the religious fundamentalists while, at the same time, they were bashing the Harry Potter series as being Satanic. It's a shame that the producers of the film don't share the same initiative as Pullman did. After all, Hollywood is not about art or form, it is strictly about how much money a film can bring in and right now children's novels adapted to film is the latest rage. It was an obvious choice to make the film because the title alone would raise ticket sales. And it seems, for the most part, it will simply be that: The Golden Compass in name alone.

Academy to screen "Star Wars" (Article) - 3/31/2007 5:42:59 PM

Where I absolutely agree that Star Wars should have won the Best Picture award hands down, I can't disagree with giving the Best Director award to Woody Allen. Close Encounters was a fun film but the fact that Spielberg was even nominated for directing it shows what a weak year 1977 really was in the film industry

George Lucas (Article) - 3/9/2007 5:04:18 PM

Tkay - He's also the columnist who wrote the article :)

Smell my face! (Blog Post) - 2/22/2007 11:18:56 PM

I'm have to agree with chip on why KJ's take is a good idea... and yet I have to disagree with KJ for one reason: Taxi Driver

Weekend Box Office Report for February 2-4 (Article) - 2/5/2007 11:40:38 PM

Great breakdown on why we always get shafted with garbage films in February, Jarrod. That list must make studio execs cry. Just the fact that the 5th best opening of all time for the month was a mere 30 million and the film only pulled down 63.2 million all together is pretty sad in itself.

Walden Media acquires C.S. Lewis' "The Screwtape Letters" (Article) - 2/3/2007 10:33:41 AM

With the right director and cast this could be a great film. It could just a easily be horrible in the wrong hands. My mind won't be made up until we get a little more information.

"Harry Potter VII" gets a Publishing Date (Article) - 2/3/2007 10:26:33 AM

I'm going to have to disagree with you mlaforcer. I read most of those writers works as a teen and I felt they were all a bit formulaic and childish. The Harry Potter series may be written simply but it is filled with subtle signs and clues and has a very well crafted story structure that usually keeps one guessing. I for one will be in line at midnight once again and have the whole book read before I sleep. :)

"The Reaping" Final Poster (Article) - 1/31/2007 11:34:26 PM

Doesn't it strike you a little odd that they are making a film about a series of plagues ravishing the state of Lousiana? That's a new one... I can't wait for the scene where Hilary raises her hands up to the sky, parts the Gulf of Mexico, and screams "Let my people go!!"

Weekend Box Office Report for January 26-28 (Article) - 1/31/2007 11:22:37 PM

(double post, sorry guys)

Weekend Box Office Report for January 26-28 (Article) - 1/31/2007 11:22:12 PM

I know I was harping on the studios for making crap earlier but when you get down to it the only people we can truly blame is the public general. If people didn't pay to see such mindless crap then the studios wouldn't make it. They'd give "other" films more opportunites and release them more widely. Instead, most of us have to make the extra distance to an art house theater or simply wait for them to be released on DVD. Besides, winning an Academy Award doesn't exactly bring that much more income to the studios. Actors and directors can demand higher salaries but by the time the awards are handed out a film has made its run in the theater already. Doesn't anyone remember what happened to Orion? They chose to focuse more on Ocsar material films and after winning the Best Picture Award in back to back years for Dances with Wolves and Silence of the Lambs they promptly went bankrupt. We'll never win guys....

HANSOSWORD'S MANIACAL PERSONA