All JTime's Comments

Fantastic Four: Official Teaser Trailer (Article) - 1/28/2015 6:07:24 PM

Not sure if I'll see this. I love the classic version of the FF too much. I would love to see the original concept done right. Tim Story had a wonderful opportunity and wasted it. Bad casting. Silly stories. Messed up Dr. Doom AND Galactus, two of the greatest fictional villains in comic history. Now, the classic characters get shafted because someone thinks that they MUST go a whole different route because the classic characters don't work or because they want to attract a younger audience or they want to put their own stamp on it or they like the Ultimate versions better…ugh. To each his own, I know but this is just sad.

Nothing personal against the director, I don't begrudge anybody a successful career but…I'll be hoping this one fails like I was hoping Story's first FF movie would fail just so I can see the Fantastic Four that Stan and Jack created. If it doesn't…another long wait, if ever, before I see the FF that inspired me on the big screen.

Marvel as we know it is done! (Article) - 1/20/2015 6:31:25 PM

Not fond of the increasingly negative tone of comics. I have little confidence that today's writers will inspire me with the universe they create or re-create. Don't know if I want to invest my time in this. Hope I'm wrong but if not…might lead me to give up comics for good. Never thought I would say that. Never.

The Fall of '84: Supergirl (Article) - 11/24/2014 6:16:06 AM

Spot on review. I always felt bad that Helen Slater's performance had not gotten the praise it deserved. Ditto, Jerry Goldsmith. And although Peter was slumming, his scenes were among the best in the film.

The notion that stand-alone female superheroes cannot carry films was (is?) a reflection of a similar notion that pervaded the world of comic books for many years, as well. In comics people would often site the poor sales and failures of books like She-Hulk(v1), Ms. Marvel (v1),Tigra, Red Sonja (Marvel), the Cat, Shanna (v1), etc. as "proof." I would always point out that most times the regular teams on those books were not the cream of the crop at that time.

I think that the same is true of movies led by female superheroes, so far.

Too, bad.

The Spring of '84: The Natural (Article) - 5/12/2014 5:55:16 AM

This is a really cool movie.

Justice League Movie Announced (Article) - 4/28/2014 11:09:13 AM

redhairs99, points taken, though I'm skeptical that the momentum of Thor or the 30 year struggle to reboot Superman entirely explains that narrow margin of boxoffice difference. I'm sure it was a factor, but I doubt that MoS would have had such steep drops in receipts so quickly if it had generated the good word-of-mouth that say, Winter Soldier did. Even the first Iron Man movie garnered better business domestically than MoS, without momentum and without Supe's brand recognition. Despite the 30 year struggle, people were exited about this reboot, I was, too. I really believe it would have made more if the makers had been more careful with the plot, characterization, etc. and gotten a director who'd proven himself in those areas. I also think that having Superman kill someone at the end, while there might be precedent for it, was probably not wise. It was shocking. It was controversial. But it also undercut public perception. I think they lost people there. Marvel seems to understand and honor the image their characters have developed. (So far) Warner needs Brad Bird. One more thing: Agreed on Pacific Rim but I guess it didn't bother me because I have no history with those characters. In MoS, Supes' supporting cast was less developed than Agent Coulson in Avengers. No excuse for that.

Monkeyfoot, got it.

Justice League Movie Announced (Article) - 4/28/2014 9:45:55 AM

I don't know if I qualify as one of the "MoS haters" as monkeyfoot put it but I was disappointed by that movie. I think it could have been so much better if certain obvious holes had been plugged (Why didn't Superman consult the Jor-el hologram before confronting the Kryptonians? He would have learned how to defeat them sooner.) or if there were more chemistry between him and Lois or if the makers didn't make illogical things happen just to depict widespread destruction (a small invulnerable body hurtling into a build would put a hole in it, not cause it to collapse) or…well, I could go on but here's my point: while it wasn't ALL bad, it barely made more than Thor:The Dark World did domestically (or totally) and that should send signals that something's wrong. Superman done right would have creamed Thor. Zack Snyder might be a good filmmaker but I don't think he's a great one. I would love to see a GREAT JSA movie. I'm just skeptical that this will be great in his hands. It will make money, no doubt because its a first, it has all these iconic heroes together and many people don't care if it's video-game-thin on plot or characterization. And because it will make money, my complaints and any others' will likely be ignored. I don't think that I'm a "hater" (if there's one overused term, it's that one) but I'd just like to see these movie made as well, as or better than the Marvel Movies have been. Is that hating?

Man of Steel Fan Event (Article) - 11/11/2013 9:27:25 PM

@alienstatue, point taken. The previous movies could skew the perception as to what characterization occurred in Avengers. But I contend that even if you discount those movies and consider only what was conveyed by the dialog and actions taken by the characters in Avengers, Snyders' efforts still come up short by comparison. Even if the Widow was the least interesting character here, transport her character to MOS and she would just about steal the show. ( She "interrogates" by seeming vulnerable, thinks love is for children, can still function though terrified, keeps tabs on her debts and is a student of people.) I think that only Supes, Jonathan and maybe Zod would hold up next to her as a character.

@shellhead88, I agree: no "golly gee Louise Superman"—but I don't want cardboard either. If you've got a minute, compare the scenes I mentioned—the first interview of Clark and Lois from each movie—be honest—which one conveys more emotion? Which one has the best dialog? Which one shows the most chemistry? (If you still think it's MOS, you're entitled. Just my opinion. No biggy.)

@ignitethepages, I only mention Perry because he's a major supporting character in the Superman mythos. Good directors understand that the whole movie benefits when the supporting characters are interesting, too. I didn't see MOS to watch Perry but why have him there at all if he's just a prop? I also didn't sign up for a video game with flat characters and sparkles to keep me distracted.

Man of Steel Fan Event (Article) - 11/11/2013 7:52:49 AM

Ditto @spiderhero on Cavill and Snyder.

Snyder needs lessons from Whedon as to how to build character, especially the secondary ones. Every one of the Avengers' characters seemed well-defined, despite have six main characters (Ironman, Thor, Hulk, Cap, Black Widow, Hawkeye) and at least four secondaries (Loki, Coulson, Fury, Hill). The world-weary guard that found Banner after his Hulk-out had more presence and development than Perry White did for cryin' out loud! Perry could have been any unnamed generic newspaper guy and it wouldn't have altered the experience one bit. He didn't do one thing or utter one line that set him apart from everyone else.

I know this might be heresy to many of the Man-of-Steel fans but: check out the first interview between Supes and Lois in MOS and campare that to the first interview between them in Superman:the Movie. Donner's film had a lot of flaws, agreed, but it was brimming with character.

Please, MOS fans: demand more because once they make the second movie and Synder further sets the sterile tone for what follows, DC's cinematic universe is going to be built on a weak foundation that will scream for reboots way before it should.

I'm expecting Superman/Batman to be a spectacle without substance.

5 Great Stories for the Next Captain America Film (Article) - 11/6/2013 8:50:51 AM

I may be in th minority here but I do NOT want to see Civil War—at least, as it was done in the comics. I have a hard time believing that heros who have fought together to save the universe and have stood together against impossible odds, would now actually beat each other to a pulp over governmental pressure, rather than turn a blind eye to their brothers-in-arms, no matter what anybody said. Nor do I believe Reed Richards would be stupid enough to clone Thor and not think that was going to go badly, inspite of having seen Doc Doom make similar mistakes a zillion times. Nor do I think Spiderman—of ALL people—would reveal his identity and endanger his loved ones given his origin. To me, there were major parts of that storyline that were not thought through.

The Sleeper stuff would be cool.

NEW Captain America: The Winter Soldier Poster (Article) - 10/23/2013 12:00:39 PM

Uh, joe4306…If CD had Cap, he wouldn't have been written by Stan and drawn by Jack in the 60's. It might have been written by John Broome and drawn by Carmine Infantino. Both, are talented men but, c'mon. Cap wouldn't have been nearly as cool.

JTIME'S MANIACAL PERSONA