All JTime's Comments

1 2 3 >  >>

The Spring of '84: The Natural (Article) - 5/12/2014 5:55:16 AM

This is a really cool movie.

Justice League Movie Announced (Article) - 4/28/2014 11:09:13 AM

redhairs99, points taken, though I'm skeptical that the momentum of Thor or the 30 year struggle to reboot Superman entirely explains that narrow margin of boxoffice difference. I'm sure it was a factor, but I doubt that MoS would have had such steep drops in receipts so quickly if it had generated the good word-of-mouth that say, Winter Soldier did. Even the first Iron Man movie garnered better business domestically than MoS, without momentum and without Supe's brand recognition. Despite the 30 year struggle, people were exited about this reboot, I was, too. I really believe it would have made more if the makers had been more careful with the plot, characterization, etc. and gotten a director who'd proven himself in those areas. I also think that having Superman kill someone at the end, while there might be precedent for it, was probably not wise. It was shocking. It was controversial. But it also undercut public perception. I think they lost people there. Marvel seems to understand and honor the image their characters have developed. (So far) Warner needs Brad Bird. One more thing: Agreed on Pacific Rim but I guess it didn't bother me because I have no history with those characters. In MoS, Supes' supporting cast was less developed than Agent Coulson in Avengers. No excuse for that.

Monkeyfoot, got it.

Justice League Movie Announced (Article) - 4/28/2014 9:45:55 AM

I don't know if I qualify as one of the "MoS haters" as monkeyfoot put it but I was disappointed by that movie. I think it could have been so much better if certain obvious holes had been plugged (Why didn't Superman consult the Jor-el hologram before confronting the Kryptonians? He would have learned how to defeat them sooner.) or if there were more chemistry between him and Lois or if the makers didn't make illogical things happen just to depict widespread destruction (a small invulnerable body hurtling into a build would put a hole in it, not cause it to collapse) or…well, I could go on but here's my point: while it wasn't ALL bad, it barely made more than Thor:The Dark World did domestically (or totally) and that should send signals that something's wrong. Superman done right would have creamed Thor. Zack Snyder might be a good filmmaker but I don't think he's a great one. I would love to see a GREAT JSA movie. I'm just skeptical that this will be great in his hands. It will make money, no doubt because its a first, it has all these iconic heroes together and many people don't care if it's video-game-thin on plot or characterization. And because it will make money, my complaints and any others' will likely be ignored. I don't think that I'm a "hater" (if there's one overused term, it's that one) but I'd just like to see these movie made as well, as or better than the Marvel Movies have been. Is that hating?

Man of Steel Fan Event (Article) - 11/11/2013 9:27:25 PM

@alienstatue, point taken. The previous movies could skew the perception as to what characterization occurred in Avengers. But I contend that even if you discount those movies and consider only what was conveyed by the dialog and actions taken by the characters in Avengers, Snyders' efforts still come up short by comparison. Even if the Widow was the least interesting character here, transport her character to MOS and she would just about steal the show. ( She "interrogates" by seeming vulnerable, thinks love is for children, can still function though terrified, keeps tabs on her debts and is a student of people.) I think that only Supes, Jonathan and maybe Zod would hold up next to her as a character.

@shellhead88, I agree: no "golly gee Louise Superman"—but I don't want cardboard either. If you've got a minute, compare the scenes I mentioned—the first interview of Clark and Lois from each movie—be honest—which one conveys more emotion? Which one has the best dialog? Which one shows the most chemistry? (If you still think it's MOS, you're entitled. Just my opinion. No biggy.)

@ignitethepages, I only mention Perry because he's a major supporting character in the Superman mythos. Good directors understand that the whole movie benefits when the supporting characters are interesting, too. I didn't see MOS to watch Perry but why have him there at all if he's just a prop? I also didn't sign up for a video game with flat characters and sparkles to keep me distracted.

Man of Steel Fan Event (Article) - 11/11/2013 7:52:49 AM

Ditto @spiderhero on Cavill and Snyder.

Snyder needs lessons from Whedon as to how to build character, especially the secondary ones. Every one of the Avengers' characters seemed well-defined, despite have six main characters (Ironman, Thor, Hulk, Cap, Black Widow, Hawkeye) and at least four secondaries (Loki, Coulson, Fury, Hill). The world-weary guard that found Banner after his Hulk-out had more presence and development than Perry White did for cryin' out loud! Perry could have been any unnamed generic newspaper guy and it wouldn't have altered the experience one bit. He didn't do one thing or utter one line that set him apart from everyone else.

I know this might be heresy to many of the Man-of-Steel fans but: check out the first interview between Supes and Lois in MOS and campare that to the first interview between them in Superman:the Movie. Donner's film had a lot of flaws, agreed, but it was brimming with character.

Please, MOS fans: demand more because once they make the second movie and Synder further sets the sterile tone for what follows, DC's cinematic universe is going to be built on a weak foundation that will scream for reboots way before it should.

I'm expecting Superman/Batman to be a spectacle without substance.

5 Great Stories for the Next Captain America Film (Article) - 11/6/2013 8:50:51 AM

I may be in th minority here but I do NOT want to see Civil War—at least, as it was done in the comics. I have a hard time believing that heros who have fought together to save the universe and have stood together against impossible odds, would now actually beat each other to a pulp over governmental pressure, rather than turn a blind eye to their brothers-in-arms, no matter what anybody said. Nor do I believe Reed Richards would be stupid enough to clone Thor and not think that was going to go badly, inspite of having seen Doc Doom make similar mistakes a zillion times. Nor do I think Spiderman—of ALL people—would reveal his identity and endanger his loved ones given his origin. To me, there were major parts of that storyline that were not thought through.

The Sleeper stuff would be cool.

NEW Captain America: The Winter Soldier Poster (Article) - 10/23/2013 12:00:39 PM

Uh, joe4306…If CD had Cap, he wouldn't have been written by Stan and drawn by Jack in the 60's. It might have been written by John Broome and drawn by Carmine Infantino. Both, are talented men but, c'mon. Cap wouldn't have been nearly as cool.

Gordon-Levitt on Ant-Man Rumors (Article) - 10/18/2013 6:15:03 AM

@Rizing

I'm not against thinking outside of the box but even then, it has to make sense to me. I just don't think the brand of humor Pegg would bring to the role fits the character. I wouldn't have immediately picked GL as the one for this role but I've seen him in roles that indicate he's got the chops to do it justice dramatically and when necessary, humorously. I like the way InnerSanctum expressed it. I don't want to see "Hank Pym, comedy relief." Pegg was in a drama (Star Trek) as you pointed out but he was comedy relief, not dramatic. (Also, since you mentioned it, I didn't like Keaton as Batman before or after I saw it. He didn't physically fit the part and his Bruce Wayne portrayal seemed quirky and sometimes manic, like him.)

If I'd seen something where Pegg showed the dramatic chops necessary for this role, I could get on board with his casting as long as he beefed up. Again, see InnerSanctum's comments: one day, he's going to be Giant Man. When that happens, I don't want it to be a superhero version of Honey I Blew up the Kid.

Gordon-Levitt on Ant-Man Rumors (Article) - 10/17/2013 3:15:04 PM

I'm honestly surprised that so many are okay with Simon Pegg as Ant-Man. I have to admit that I haven't seen everything that he's done but…he seems to be more of the second-fiddle, comedy relief kind of guy, to me. I most likely would wait to see the movie on video if they go that way. I'd prefer that the lighter moments came organically rather than seeing casting an actor for that purpose, especially when the character as we have known him, was not generally funny.

That being the case, I'd rather Gordon-Levitt got the role.

Mania Review: Kick-Ass 2 (Article) - 8/16/2013 8:48:25 AM

No problem, CyanideRush. Thanks for keeping it cordial.

JTIME'S MANIACAL PERSONA