All JackTChance's Comments

1 2 >  >>

DVD Shopping Bag: Man of Steel Dilemma (Article) - 11/14/2013 10:12:14 AM

I over all enjoyed the movie, certainly an improvement over Superman Returns (although I did not despise that movie as some did).  I did not have an issue with Supes killing Zod.  In fact I have the John Byrne Comic where he does it to the Pocket Dimension Kryptonians.  My only beef is that, I feel it happened too soon. Never been a big fan of killing off good main villians too soon.  Wasn't happy with Two-Face dying in The Dark Knight...wasn't happy with Joker dying in the Keaton Batman.  What makes a story and a hero's journey engrossing is often his/her foil.  Zod as played by Shannon was awesome.  Big fan of Terrance Stamp's Zod...but this was better.  You almost understood why he was doing what he was doing...almost.  A great villian is one that you can sorta understand, or at least emphatize with a little bit.  Again...ok with his death, just thought it was too soon.

Also, at first I absolutely LOVED watching Kryptonians in a full tilt "slobberknocker".  Totally what I imagined it to be.  But as was pointed out, as soon as Kal-El realized the amount of destruction they were causing, he would have done whatever he could to "take it outside".  So the violence does (at second glance) feel gratuitous.  It clearly was a "release" of special effects, violence etc to make up for the lack of fighting in Superman Returns.

Finally...as an aside...I started collected DC in 1986...I stopped it with the New 52.  Hate what they did to the Justice Society, Captain Marvel (THAT'S RIGHT I SAID CAPTAIN MARVEL!!!), and am just getting sick of DC superheroes being rewritten to be like Marvel Superheroes.  If I want conflicted, flawed, superheroes I will go buy a Marvel Comic...which I still do.  If I want superheroes that we should all aspire to be like, ALA Superman...I USED to buy DC.  Not anymore.

Batman Vs. Superman Title Confirmed? (Article) - 9/17/2013 1:19:58 PM

I am going to assume this is a "working title" and very general.  If they put this little thought into the final title, as they appear to be doing with casting, that bodes ill for the movie as a whole.  Agreed, World's Finest needs to be somewhere in there!

IS Jarvis Ultron? (Article) - 8/29/2013 10:18:51 AM

A great casting!!  Marvel is showing DC/WB the way...but no one over there is paying attention.  Sad...I was a DC Fan first, but have been leaning Marvel over the last 5-6 years.

Affleck is Batman (Article) - 8/22/2013 9:19:15 PM

Daredevil......end of story.

Affleck is Batman (Article) - 8/22/2013 9:05:33 PM

....is there anyway to start a petition?  I really don't want to boycott a Superman Movie.....but I might have to.

Avengers 2 Casting Problems (Article) - 5/8/2013 11:42:43 AM

I wouldn't put too much stock in the deadline article anyhow.  I lost count of how many unnamed sources were quoted.  When I start seeing quotes that you can't reference, I get suspicous of arm-waving.

Are several renegotiating or trying to?  Yes, likely.  Are they going to recast several actors for Avengers 2....NO, ruins continuity when Marvel and Disney have said, numerous times, they are trying to create a Marvel Universe continuity.  That being said, I think Chris Hemsworth will have a better leg to stand on after Thor 2.

Rotating cast members in just ruins continuity and everyone knows it.  You need only look at Batman Forever and then Batman and Robin.  I admit the stories were crap, but it also became less "believable" when after Michael Keaton, you rotated through 2 other actors for Bruce Wayne/Batman.  Did you see any recasting for Nolan's Dark Knight saga?  Except for Katie Holmes (which didn't affect anything one way or the other) NO.  After The Dark Knight hit a billion I saw the same arm waving articles about Nolan and Bale...."Is TDK the last movie for Nolan?"  blah blah.  And lo and behold the The Dark Knight Rises came out.

In fact a different article just came out yesterday that RDJ and his wife had a big dinner at their house with Kevin Feige, Shane Black and other execs.  And was the beginning of negotiations with him.

There are tons of stories to do with RDJ as Tony and Mark R as Banner etc.  Civil War?  Secret Avengers"  Secret Invasion? Hammer?  Planet Hulk/World War Hulk?  Frankly I would love a Civil War thing...great story.  Oh yeah...and Thanos is in play somewhere.

So I wouldn't get too worked up over this deadline story, which is a bit suspect anyhow.

Mania Review: Iron Man 3 (Article) - 5/8/2013 6:58:19 AM

Hmm, with the movie only being out for a week and 1/2 worldwide and its already at $711 million worldwide gross, I'm not sure Disney/Marvel is going to look at this as a "fizzle out" or a past expiration date issue.  All indications are its going to go past the $1 billion mark and fast....so in no way is this the end of Iron Man movies.  Also an article came out yesterday that RDJ is in talks for Avengers 2 and future IM movies.

Man of Steel TV Spot #3 (Article) - 5/7/2013 9:44:25 AM

I began collecting Superman comics in 1988 with the epic John Byrne Man of Steel revamp and collected them straight on through until "The New 52" crap happened.  I have to say, I haven't been this exited for Superman since The Death of Superman books, which was 1992?  Been so long I can't remember.  Anyhow, the trailers look great!!

SPOILERS

The extended trailer where Jonathon Kent reveals to young Clark that he is from another world and Clark says" Can't I keep pretending I'm your son" and Pa Kent starts to choke up and says "You are my son" almost brings a tear to my eye.

Not only will this movie have a great story, great acting, great effects...but its going to have heart!  And it will remind us how important Superman really is to pop culture and the superhero industry!

Mania Review: Iron Man 3 (Article) - 5/6/2013 11:50:01 AM

@innerSanctum I disagree with your assessment on wheter we see RDJ down the line, some very recent interviews with Shane Black and RDJ indicate that something is in the works.

Shane Black-  "There has been a lot of discussion about it: 'Is this the last Iron Man for Robert?' Something tells me that it will not be the case, and he will be seen in a fourth, or fifth."

Shane Black in another interview said we would see him in a 4th film.

Downey himself has recently said "there's a couple other things we gotta do with this character".

Couple other interviews have indicated that some negotiations are occuring.

It's all about negotiations and $$.  IM3 is sure to pass $420 million in the US, $1 billion worldwide, especially after this $175 million opening.  This will, no doubt allow RDJ to get a bigger % and Disney/Marvel will feel comfortable "giving it".

They recast the two Hulk movies because neither were overly successful and there were internal issues with Ed Norton on the last one, so I would not compare them to the Iron Man franchise.

I think we will see RDJ in Avengers 2, Iron Man 4....and maybe, maybe a 5th film.  He has owned the role of Tony Stark, Robert Downey  Jr. is Tony Stark....Tony Stark Is Iron Man....thus RDJ is Iron Man!  its his as long as he wants it and the studios clearly still want him.

I bet even as we speak agents and lawyers are trying to work out the details!

Mania Review: Iron Man 3 (Article) - 5/5/2013 5:58:45 PM

So...I went back and watched it a second time on IMAX.  I have to say I enjoyed it much more than I did they day of the IM Marathon.  Maybe I was tired, maybe I was keyed up after just watching The Avengers again on the big screen.  Anyhow, was definitely worth a second look.  I caught more of the plot, more clues, more everything.  So I think I agree with Robs B ...may even go A-.

SPOILER!

I went with some comic book purists....I was shocked when the twist came and they laughed at it.  Actually enjoyed it and didn't see it coming.  Figured they would lose their minds and begin complaining immediately.

Also, I was wondering if anyone else noticed this.  Early on when Aldrich comes to Stark Industries to give his presentation to Pepper.  He takes the three metal balls out and rolls them onto the table.  The first image they show is the map of the Galaxy.  He says' "whoops my bad" and switches it to an image of his brain.  Does anyone else wonder what the heck that map was there for??  Was that foreshadowing of something else?  What does a guy who is interested in harnessing the energy from the mind to create weapons etc, care about a detailed, 3D map of the Galaxy?  Thoughts?

Anyhow...for those of you who were in the C to B range for the movie grade, try it again.

JACKTCHANCE'S MANIACAL PERSONA