All MaLarrya's Comments

<<  <  1 2 3 >  >>

Summer of '82: Poltergeist (Article) - 6/4/2012 3:55:14 PM

I used to live in Simi right around the corner from where Poltergeist was filmed. This was an exciting time (1981), seeing all the trailers, construction crews, and actors. I actually saw them filming the part when Steve Freeling (Craig T. Nelson) and his boss were walking out of the house and down the front walkway discussing why he hadn't been at work in some time. I was pretty sure Speilberg was there next to the camera but wasn't too familiar with his appearance at that time. I talked with some of the crew members who were digging holes in the grassy areas running along the sidewalk, asking them what the movie was about and what the holes were for. One guy showed me it was to put the coffins inside on hydraulic lifts.

I figured this was some cheap horror movie that would blow since I didn't recognize any of the actors’ names starring in the movie. I had no idea how awesome it would be, until I sat in that darkened theater the following June on opening night. What a total shocker! I remember seeing it with my friend Dan and we discussed for a while afterwards how surprised we were that a PG rated movie could scare so well. Today it stands as one of my top 5 favorite horror movies of all time. I really do miss those summers in Simi, they had such wonder and discovery.

Summer of '82: The Road Warrior (Article) - 5/21/2012 9:30:07 AM

As I posted before, in the 1982 Conan the Barbarian article,  I was living in Simi Valley at the time and going to the movies at least once a week (in-between RPG gaming). Even though The Thing is my all-time favorite horror movie and Poltergeist (which is in the top 5) was filmed just 5 houses away from mine, if you're a horror movie fan, 1981 gets the edge. Granted 1982 had some fantastic blockbusters (E.T.), great surprises (Road Warrior, Blade Runner, Conan), and total flops that became uber-classics (The Thing) but 1981 had the horror.

Here's a sampling of the horror: Evil Dead, Scanners, American Werewolf in London, Halloween II, Friday the 13th Part 2, Dead and Buried, Hell Night, Happy Birthday to Me, The Funhouse, My Bloody Valentine, Ghost Story, Wolfen, The Howling, The Hand, The Entity, Graduation Day, Madman, and The Burning. This list is short too... just do a search for 1981 horror movies. As mentioned before, the fantasy/adventure movies like Time Bandits, Raiders, Clash, Excalibur, Dragonslayer, Superman II, For Your Eyes Only, and Escape from NY really round out this year nicely.

I think we should just start arguing that the period between winter '81 and summer '82 was the best ever for nerds/Hollywood :)  If you have to whittle it down to just 1 year then, looking at the releases week by week for both years as a whole, '81 had something decent every week from Jan-Dec.

SDCC: Walking Dead Escape (Article) - 5/16/2012 4:05:25 PM

Signed up to be a walker! It would be so awesome to have the intership crew they hire to do makeup make me look better.

Summer of '82: Conan the Barbarian (Article) - 5/15/2012 1:18:45 PM

Yes.. .Superman 2 was released in the USA June 19th, 1981. That makes it a 1981 movie as far as I'm concerned. :)

Summer of '82: Conan the Barbarian (Article) - 5/15/2012 9:08:03 AM

What's truly amazing is that I've been talking about how 1981 was the best year for movies for at least the last couple years to my wife and friends. Suddenly, at Wonder-Con there's a panel about how 1982 was the biggest year for geek movies. It's crazy how many times my wife has asked what I'm watching and I'll say oh Calsh of the Titans from 1981", "Ghost Story from 1981", "Escape from New York from... you guessed it, 1981."  I remember it well, living in Simi Valley and going to the movies at least once a week to see the lastest slasher/horror/fantasy/adventure flick. Even though The Thing is my all time favorite horror movie and Poltergeist (which is in the top 5) was filmed just 5 houses away from mine, I still have to give a slight nod to 1981. Here's just a sampling of the horror: Evil Dead, Scanners, American Werewolf in London, Halloween II, Friday the 13th Part 2, Dead and Buried, Hell Night, Happy Birthday to Me, The Funhouse, My Bloody Valentine, Ghost Story, Wolfen, The Howling, The Hand, The Entity, Graduation Day, Madman, and The Burning. This list is short too... just do a search for 1981 horror movies.
As mentioend before, the fantasy/adventure movies like Time Bandits, Raiders, Clash, Excalibur, Dragonslayer, Superman II, For Your Eyes Only, and Escape from NY really round out this year nicely. The whole 1 1/2 year period between winter 81' to summer 82' is the ultimate nerdgasm.

AVENGERS Begins Production (Article) - 4/25/2011 9:44:17 AM

Can't wait to hopefully see some early footage at this year's San Diego Comic-Con. Hall H will be nuts on Saturday!

Batman: Year One Cast Confirmed (Article) - 4/20/2011 3:33:03 PM

One thing the article failed to mention is that it will be premiering at this year's San Diego Comic Con. I'll be in line to watch this one for sure!

19 Survival Horror Games That Deserve Another Look (Article) - 11/3/2010 9:26:05 AM

One HUGE, glaring omission from this list is "Zombies Ate My Neighbors." That game should not only have been redone on the newer systems but made into an 80s era movie.

I agree about The Thing, but if the prequel coming out next April is any good there's a good chance of a game.

5 Reboots We Would Love to See (Article) - 8/13/2010 9:41:45 AM

I saw My Science Project as a double feature (remember those?) with Real Genius and thought it was a great unknown film. I actually saw Blue Thunder in the theater and for it's time it was fantastic. Everything that followed seemed to be just another armed helicopter copy.

If I was to add anything to this list though it would be 3 lesser horror flicks that could be fun remakes.

1. Night of the Comet - cheerleaders and zombies are ripe for a modern take. Put a Zombies Ate My Neighbors spin on it and this could be the next Zombieland.

2. Killer Klowns from Outer Space - This could actually be done with more horror and less camp. Think Slither.

3. One Dark Night  - Check this one out if you've never heard of it. The original wasn't especially great but the concept is fantastic. Good Friday late night flick.

Supernatural The Complete 4th Season DVD Review (Article) - 9/9/2009 10:38:41 PM

Easily the best show on TV bar none IMHO. The acting is top notch, even from the supporting and non-regular supporting cast. There aren't dozens of muddled characters and their lame stories painted into a corner to worry about. There aren't any criminals confessing how they did it to the CSI staff ala Murder She Wrote, and the comedy is delivered perfectly.

The show has a simple premise - evil actually exists and hunters exist to kill the evil. I figured the subject matter of the 4th season would receive quite a lot of backlash from religious groups but as Sara Gamble remarked in the Comic-Con panel there hasn't been any. One thing Eric Kripke and the writers commented about was that the 5th season could very well be the last since the Lucifer story and The Apocolypse are really the last foreseeable chapter. This absolutely cannot happen to such a unique show that has been a well kept secret from the masses since it's on the CW.

MALARRYA'S MANIACAL PERSONA