All ProfessorW's Comments

23.5 Degrees: The Tale of Ursula and the 11,000 Virgins (Article) - 10/26/2009 4:29:09 AM

Oops!  Mea maxilla culpa.  A failed attempt to be humerus.  I was merely curious as to whether Stella has more stories about the divine femur in the 23.5 Degrees chest for her readers.

23.5 Degrees: The Tale of Ursula and the 11,000 Virgins (Article) - 10/24/2009 3:33:26 AM

Another hip tale from Stella, our guide to all things spiritual-bone related.  Is this now a series of ossuaric anecdotes or has pelvis finally left the building? (Sorry!)

Unspecified Title (Article) - 10/18/2009 2:17:40 AM

I couldn't see any reference to "selling" indulgences in the article.  While not being a Catholic, what I read was a description of  a profound spiritual experience (which I shared) rather than of a commercial transaction.

Unspecified Title (Article) - 9/26/2009 5:14:33 AM

What happened to this week's Stella Maris column?  Is something going on behind the scenes?  I think we should be told!

Unspecified Title (Article) - 9/20/2009 2:35:09 AM

Squid, thanks for the link.  I particularly enjoyed the Today interview with DB.

Unspecified Title (Article) - 9/19/2009 12:37:31 AM

Great insider's review of The Lost Symbol (I never did find out what that referred to).  My take on the book is that you get exactly what it says on the tin:

- hundreds (and hundreds) of pages of fast-paced action

- cool codes

- hokey ancient mysteries

- quirky (and bad) use of language and grammar and lots and LOTS of italics and CAPITALS

- the familiar Brown universe (familiar also extends to those writers who so obviously influenced Brown: Sebastian Junger"s The Perfect Storm for how drowning works and Thomas Harris' Red Dragon for nasty, full-body tatooed baddies)

In the end, what does it all MEAN?  It means Brown and the Washington Tourist Board are going to make a shedload of money from the book and the movie.  ... and just maybe there'll be an epidemic of self-castration this Fall.  After 550 pages, I was myself thinking of reaching for the knife.  I only wish Jason Kaufman had...

Unspecified Title (Article) - 9/16/2009 5:49:17 AM

Wyldstaar, thanks for the recommendation.  Will investigate the books.

At present I'm mystery-hunting with Mr Brown, whose book I find eminently put-downable.

W

Unspecified Title (Article) - 9/15/2009 6:47:14 AM

Now Wyldstaar has got me wondering whether Starfather would have been "anatomically correct".  I think I need to find a distraction.

Can anyone recommend any new books that I should read?

Unspecified Title (Article) - 9/14/2009 6:30:33 PM

Wyldstaar, Now you mention it, that does ring a bell.

Maybe there was a twinkle in the Starfather's eye too!

W

Unspecified Title (Article) - 9/14/2009 2:43:28 PM

Wyldstaar wrote: "The notion that an alien life form would be interested in cross-breeding with a human is laughable.  Leaving aside the total genetic incompatibility, they'd be crazy to even want to.  Humans are a highly aggressive species that thrives on conflict to the point of potential self-destruction.  Any species capable of travelling here has already developed into a society capable of dealing with whatever obstacles lay before them.  They would have no need for anything we primitive humans have to offer."

I agree with you.  It beats me why humans breed within the species!

PROFESSORW'S MANIACAL PERSONA