All Rosenbaum's Comments

1 2 3 >  >>

Unspecified Title (Article) - 8/3/2009 12:00:52 PM

QED,  as the Ancient Greeks used to say.  But doesn't my gaffe mean that I am ideally qualified to write second-rate, second-hand "historical" fiction?  The Roman philosopher, Socrates, once wrote: I know that I know nothing.  I thought of changing that to: I write because I know nothing.  Do you think I could get published?

Unspecified Title (Article) - 8/2/2009 3:30:03 AM

Stella, you're absolutely right!  Wikipedia misled me:

Various (unreliable) Internet sources assume Ile des Juifs = Ile des Javiaux = Ile Louvier.  I now appreciate that these assumptions are no more than the deposits left by the previous occupants of the Ile des Javiaux and the Ile Louvier/Ile des Vaches!

As a result I have forfeited my right ever again to cock a snook at D. Brown for placing Versailles north of Paris!

Unspecified Title (Article) - 8/1/2009 6:24:07 PM

Of course, it's too late now to correct historical errors, but here's a mid eighteenth century map of the no longer extant island referred to as the Ile aux/des Juifs, Ile des Javiaux and Ile Louvier:

Unspecified Title (Article) - 3/31/2009 12:28:56 PM

I certainly hadn't realised what an exciting life Ms McGowan (nee Taylor) has had.  To think that she was one of those present at the Milltown Massacre on 17 March 1988, when Michael Stone threw three hand-grenades into the mourners at a funeral in Belfast, is truly unbelievable.  However, a little surprising to me is the fact that, despite what she says, the Times gives a very full description of the events of that tragic day.  Perhaps it is just as someone present at Milltown on that fateful day, Ms McGowan/Taylor's experiences were at variance with the Times' story.  But she tells her own story so fascinatingly in this clip:

What's also interesting is that she herself underplays her direct lineage from Jesus Christ and Mary Magdalene.  Maybe it's not that important that she sees herself as the "constant" (her word) in the Christian history.  It's also fascinating how she explains how she uniquely is able to present the missing history from the Gospels - the Gospels which, as she describes, present only a fraction of the true history which she is now making available to the world through Simon and Schuster.

I was also very touched to hear Ms McGowan say that Jesus Christ was "enhanced by being married to Mary Magdalene".  A powerful message for those who simply didn't realise that the Christ of the New Testament needed enhancing.

What comes across in the talk by Ms McGowan is just how powerful a woman she must be to have overcome so many challenges.  Not being able to get a job as a journalist in Belfast, simply because she was a 26-year old, inexperienced American woman.  How can one not be impressed by a woman who - without speaking a word of French to this day - has been able to immerse herself so deeply in the culture and folklore of South Western France to be able to learn so much of the true history of the post-crucifixion Christian history, which has been ignored by  so many dull academics, many of whom even speak French?

It is truly moving when Ms McGowan describes the genocide by the Catholic Church of the Cathar people, who died for  what she has written in The Expected One, and yet, despite the genocide, some Cathar survivors (the ancestors of those who presumably escaped the Catholic Church!) have been able to share their history exclusively with Ms McGowan.

One would have to have a heart of stone to comment on Ms McGowan's body-language as she fields questions about her maiden name and lineage (26.00).

A truly incredible woman!

Unspecified Title (Article) - 3/14/2009 1:35:10 AM

Interesting review.  Thank you. I had read The Expected One and was somewhat shocked.  I think I shall give the Book of Love a wide berth now.

I was interested by the comment about the Gospel of Philip.  The Gospel contains a sentence along the lines, Jesus kissed [Mary] often on the [here the original parchment is damaged and the word is missing].  The missing word could be mouth or forehead or hair.  It is quite unscrupulous to draw the conclusion that Philip was saying that the relationship between Jesus and Mary was "non-casual, sexual and holy".  I believe that that conclusion is disgraceful, offensive and without any foundation.

I loved the idea of absorbing light from a book.  I didn't gain any light from The Expected One, just a slight feeling of nausea!

Unspecified Title (Article) - 3/2/2009 1:52:14 PM

Little Nell,

I couldn't have put it better myself!  It was sloppy of me to write "sensible" when I should have brought in the element of the scientific/verifiable/objective.  If someone says that they have seen the royal family turn into reptilians (and I am not by any means a monarchist!), I want something more than their words.  Of course, we all - after a certain age/set of life experiences - encounter phenomena which we cannot explain - but I wouldn't think anyone would enter into a conversation with me, if I were to say that I can float from building to building or that I am Hitler's and Diana Mitford's love-child.  (Both are true, by the way!)

Abeline

Unspecified Title (Article) - 3/2/2009 2:52:53 AM

Little Nell,

Fair point.  I suppose the truth is I've never read anything sensible about the Nazis and the occult. I'm only at the Indiana Jones level!

As a small child I was taken to the grave (subsequently proved to be a hoax) of Little Nell in Tong in the English Midlands, the location where the end of The Old Curiosity Shop takes place.  It left a strong impression, which I'd completely forgotten until I saw your nom de plume.

Abeline

Unspecified Title (Article) - 3/1/2009 4:48:22 PM

Little Nell, I respect what you say.  What concerns me is that gullibility is a greatly underrated human characteristic and so many second-rate writers have made livings off human credulousness.  That anyone can actually believe the DVC and its numerous clones and now Angels and Demons is very, very sad.

Abeline

PS Your name has a great personal synchronicity for me too.  So maybe you're right after all.  Good choice!

Unspecified Title (Article) - 3/1/2009 7:42:40 AM

Little Nell, I think you make some good points.  I think - at some fundamental level - we all hope to find some truth behind the confused world in which we live.  Where I think it is easy for us all to go astray is to lock on to writers who claimed to have joined the dots.  The danger of so many of the sensationalist claims we read about every day is that they are taken at face value without considering the agenda of those writing them.  I don't for a second believe that anyone has seen a member of the British royal family metamorphosing into reptilians or that the Bohemian Grove members are really making pagan sacrifices.  What I do believe is that the McDonalds family does want to increase their profits (as you say, who would not?) and that the Bush family want greater wealth and power.  Perhaps all those who try to make these spurious links are trying to show a darker side to human nature which is within all of us - but that doesn't mean there are links.  However, we should never forget that that those who write sensational books claiming to have found a connection between short-lived sects in the eighteenth century and people in power today or have discovered that Christ was married to anyone you choose are out to sell books and make money.

As we feel insecure in this confused world, it is tempting to look at those who claim to have answers.  The trouble is when you look more closely at the writers of this books with their new discoveries, you discover that many of them are charlatans out to make a fast buck.  The problem as i see it is that so many of us are remarkably gullible and refuse to see how little is actually known about historical subjects and allow second-rate writers to fantasise without the slightest substance behind their claims.

It never fails to amaze me how some people so readily give credence to a new theory without considering for a moment:

(i) the factual basis for their claims and

(ii) the financial benefit that the writers get from peddling their inventions.

Abeline

Unspecified Title (Article) - 2/26/2009 3:53:24 PM

Dear Mr Foray (or may I call you Mort?),

I understand that all that glitters etc, but where precisely would one find such geological manifestations at noon?

Perhaps I am not sufficiently of a philosophical disposition...

Yours