All Ryodin's Comments

<<  <  6 7 8 9 10 11 >  >>

Singh Confirmed for SNOW WHITE (Article) - 11/3/2010 6:02:30 AM

Wow, this is . . . interesting. I loved Tarsem's last flick, The Fall. He's like the Salvador Dali of filmmaking. Based on that movie alone I could see this working.

5 Fortuitous Casting Substitutions (Article) - 7/21/2010 6:10:13 AM

Good catch, DayDrumFour. I'm pretty sure he meant to say I Am Legend.

Is it me, or is the paragraph on Back To The Future practically unreadable in this article? Someone get a copy editor in here QUICK!

Radcliffe on Western Front Remake (Article) - 6/23/2010 6:18:24 AM

The novel was one of my favorites back in High School, and the original 1930s b&w film is simply amazing. Yet I would be totally happy with a remake, if done with the proper respect to the source like the old movie did. And I don't see why it wouldn't.

First Look: SMURFS Trailer (Article) - 6/17/2010 5:50:17 AM

I think I just threw up in my mouth. No, wait . . . yup, I did.

Didn't the Muppets already do this? Take Manhattan? Or what about that Disney movie, Enchanted? Are you sure this isn't really some cruel sick joke?

*vomits again*

KARATE Chops the Competition (Article) - 6/14/2010 6:07:20 AM

Wow, so much negativity for a movie most of you haters didn't even watch. How does that work, now? A movie you didn't watch is no. 1 at the box office . . . and you automatically deride this feat by insulting the movie-going public who DID bother to actually watch it? That's some nice credibility right there.

Truth of the matter is, Karate Kid was a movie enjoyable to both kids and adults. I saw A-Team first, then KK. And while I enjoyed A-Team immensely, no one clapped at the end of it at the packed Times Square theater where I watched it. But they did clap--and clap uproariously--after the Karate Kid credits came up.

I'm sure you haters would still hate the movie even if you do watch it. Gotta keep up appearances and all, right? But the movie goer who doesn't go into it with a chip on his shoulder might actually be surprised to find out it's a well put-together and charming film.

The martial arts was WAY better than the original, btw. The fight scenes were longer, more brutal, and staged beautifully! Except for the last move -- the finishing move, which fell flat. The crane kick was super lame, don't get me wrong. But the move Jaden performs at the end . . . that was just straight out groan worthy. MY GOD!

Movie Maven Karate Kid's the A-Team (Video) - 6/9/2010 6:05:09 AM

Can people please give the Karate Kid title a rest already? Geez! It's called the Karate Kid because the boy knows a smattering of Karate that he learned in Detroit. When he goes to China, the bullies mock this and call him "the Karate Kid." It's all in the trailers. There. Is that so hard to understand? Yes, this takes place in China and not Japan. Yes the movie features Kung-fu and not Karate. And yes the movie makers are capitalizing on the previous movies by keeping the title the same. But from a purely plot perspective, the title is ironic and fits. And it's rather awesome in that light, if you think about it. I still don't understand how this movie is garnering so much negativity from genre fans when it looks fairly decent from what the trailers are showing. If it's remake hate, fine. That's a legitimate beef. But seeing how everyone here is fellating the A-Team movie, that would be rather hypocritical don't you think?

New KARATE KID Trailer (Article) - 2/24/2010 1:34:37 PM

Jedi,

Yeah, the tournament set-up in the first movie looked accurate to me, true. And I guess the stances, also. I'm not a martial artist, but I have watched similar karate tournaments before in real life. It's just that the actual choreographed moments in the movie don't really resemble what I've seen at real matches. It seems far slower and way more structured than an actual match does.

Which is what I'm seeing in the trailer of this new movie.

So no big difference there.

New KARATE KID Trailer (Article) - 2/24/2010 9:51:09 AM

Jedi, I didn't get that impression at all from this new trailer. To me, Jaden Smith's character seems like he's just adequate in the tournament fights. That he's getting by based on a handful of memorized moves, the element of surprise, and because his teacher taught him an "organic" form of Shaolin-style gong-fu rather than the more rigid and indoctrinated form of wushu, China's national sport. Definitely did not get a super ninja vibe.

Also, what? The original Karate Kid was the epitome of choreographed movie fights. I mean, I suspend belief for the sake of enjoying that movie. But let's get real, the fights (especially during the tournament) were some of the most choreographed pieces of phony karate I've ever seen.

The original KK movies were great, but founts of authentic martial arts showmanship they were not.

New KARATE KID Trailer (Article) - 2/24/2010 8:24:56 AM

djphillips,

Read my previous comments. There seems to be a reason for the title beyond just the obvious tie-in to the original movies' fanbase. If true, this nicely explains the title.

And I'm quite sure everyone involved are fully aware of the discrepancy between the title and the martial art being displayed this time around.

New KARATE KID Trailer (Article) - 2/24/2010 7:39:27 AM

It's true that the movie producers and studio are obviously trying to evoke the connection between the original movies and this one. But all that aside, I think the title works within the context of the story of this movie, too. If Dre already knew some Karate while growing up in Detroit, then you can make the claim he is a "karate kid" of sorts. If he then thinks that this piddly knowledge prepares him to take on kids in China who were trained in wu-shu while still in diapers, then the title becomes just a tad ironic. Which is all sorts of cool!

For me, so long as there is *some* basis for the title within the movie, then it works. Regardless of the fact that this time the martial art being showcased is kung-fu.

In the first movie, the title referred to a kid who knew a little karate and then learned a lot more from a master. In this movie, the title refers to a kid who knows a little karate, and then learns from a master in a different discipline that martial arts is not just about learning to throw punches. Sounds like a connection to me.

RYODIN'S MANIACAL PERSONA