All Shogunn2517's Comments

Goodbye Maniacs (Article) - 2/18/2015 8:44:13 AM

Yes.  There are quite a few Cinemania's on Facebook.

But I just friended you and a few other names I saw here so hopefully yall can lead me to the right door.

But not to go through the similar history, I like most of you came to this site from a previous incarnation looking at "Superman Reborn" or "Star Wars 4" or "Spiderman" being in "Development Hell" or "Greenlighted" or "In the Can" as they use to tell us back in Cinescape's days.  Like most of you, I relied on this site for much of my genre news and update as they came.  And lastly, like most of you I had to prove my nerd superiority and make a profile here just to chat.  But I'm glad I did and I hope this site and the news and relationships to continue in some for or another.  After nearly 20 years, it would be a shame to lose such an institution in the lives of so many.

Jamal Gunn, Virginia Beach VA

Marvel's Avengers: Age of Ultron - TV Spot 1 (Article) - 1/30/2015 11:59:34 AM

redvector, I think that might just be editing.

Fantastic Four: Official Teaser Trailer (Article) - 1/29/2015 1:10:55 PM

As a VERY socially aware black man, I want to make this clear:

I have a problem with a black Human Torch.

If Sue Storm was black too, then I'd have a problem with that as well.  Established characterization aside, there's something about taking an existing character and changing their ethnicity for the sake of change.  In terms where it makes no difference one way or another it's slightly more understandable.  But for the sake of identification, I don't want a rehash of blackfaced white guys.  I want my OWN.  Growing up, I desired super heroes I could identify with.  I didn't want a white Spiderman because I know he isn't black.  So it was a good thing by time I started to get into comics, Milestone Media came about and brought me and my brother a wealth of minority characters, with our stories, our backgrounds, our problems that identified with US.  Icon wasn't a alien that grew up in Kansas, but an alien that grew up as a slave and in the Jim Crow South.  Static wasn't a wise cracking white kid living with his aunt that just got spider powers, but a wise cracking black kid in a single parent household that just got his own superpowers.  The X-Men, while quite revolutionary themselves and a varied background.  But the Blood Syndicate were a group of former gang bangers living in the ghetto.  It spoke to me.  Talked about things I wanted to see and what I saw in life and knew in life.  I finally had my OWN heroes, that I could identify with.  Not just in skin tone, but in character.

While Michael Jordan might inspire young black kids watching and give them a hero, opening a comic, he's still a white kid.  When they ultimately reboot this again or have another cartoon, he's gonna still be white.  So instead of shoe-horning a black face on established white actors, give us heroes we don't need to change that just are heroes.  Like Jedibanner said, there would be a RIOT if someone tried to change Luke Cage or Storm.  That's like identity theft but worse because you're stealing from generations of us who already have few to inspire us already and don't need less.

Fantastic Four: Official Teaser Trailer (Article) - 1/28/2015 2:20:19 PM

At least Tim Story had the decency to put a wig on Jessica Alba.

Fantastic Four: Official Teaser Trailer (Article) - 1/28/2015 11:19:37 AM

See, that's the problem though Wise.  It seems like there's defense and sensibility that needs to be made about this film instead of it just being what we would expect it to be.  I get the fact it's 2014 and mixed families are so 1900 and whatever.  My aunt's white.  My nephew is some mix of something(my sister in law doesn't even know).  Cousins are mixed.  So I get it.  And I absolutely love Michael Jordan as an actor.  He was great in Chronicle and unforgettable as Wallace from the Wire, but why such a departure.  Again, I get it that the Ultimates are a different take on the character.  Mr. Fantastic is younger.  Spiderman is latino.  Fury is black.  That you can get away with because he wasn't a central character.  But the other characters where focused on their 616-versions, particularly in terms of character design.  But outside of that, I just have to wonder WHY!?  WHY are they doing this?  Audiences already have a hard enough time keeping Hawkeye and Green Arrow separate.  Now you're going to put a black guy on the Fantastic Four, I can almost guarantee someone's asking "who's the new black guy?"  Audiences like familiarity.  They like constants.  That's why they can get away with seven Fast and Furuious movies.  It just seems like they want to change what's been recognize as the Fantastic Four for a half a century for just because reasons.  Yeah over the years Superman has worn a all blue costume with no cape.  Yeah, spiderman has worn a black costume and a scarlet spidey costume.  But when they do films, they're in their typical noticable blue and red costumes.

It feels like Superman Reborn.

Fantastic Four: Official Teaser Trailer (Article) - 1/28/2015 8:51:02 AM

No, trust me I've been to the party.  I'm just still bummed someone let them get away with this without taking a swift dropkick to the grill for being stupid.

Fantastic Four: Official Teaser Trailer (Article) - 1/28/2015 8:31:23 AM

BTW, that's clearly Reg Cathey doing the voice over.  He's playing Franklin Storm.

Of course that would make a black Johnny Storm a little bit easier to swallow, but then it makes me wonder what's Kate Mara's issue?  Susan Storm is white?  Okay, now I'm supposed to buy a mixed family.  Fine.  But why?  For over 50 years the Human Torch has been some blonde white kid.  Why change it now?  Okay, Jordan's a VERY talented actor, but Hollywood is full of talented blonde kids.  Case in point, Reed Richards is supposed to be a too smart for his own good egghead that can lead.  It's hard for me to believe some 20 something year old kid is that.

Who in the world was the casting director for this movie?  They should stay the hell away from Hollywood.  Forever.

Fantastic Four: Official Teaser Trailer (Article) - 1/27/2015 9:58:35 AM

I thought I read the full trailer was going to be on The Kingsman...

Not that it matters.  I think I had my fill.

Supergirl Has Been Cast (Article) - 1/23/2015 8:26:53 AM

Actually, CW is a joint venture with CBS and Warner(hence the letters of the network).  So while crossovers could be possible.... perhaps one could hope they bring Tom Welling back for a cameo.

I suppose that would conflict with the two different takes on the other characters(Green Arrow, Flash, Deathstroke, etc), but I suppose either or would be possible.

But I do agree, it'd be weird to have Supergirl without Superman.  It'd be like the Birds of Prey having a show and not having Batman.  But at least BoP didn't have such a direct connection to Batman.  This one, it'd be kinda hard to explain.

Heroes for Captain America: Civil War (Article) - 1/18/2015 11:40:54 AM

Lloyd, you bring up a good point, but you have to keep in mind Civil War was just as smuch about a disaster caused by superheroes than there being superheroes.  I can as easily see their being some societal conflict caused by Stark's Ultron program and the Avengers being blamed for what it did.

But as much as I want to say this could just be an extention of the original Iron Man and his identity reveal, it isn't like any of these guys identities are exactly highly guarded secrets.  So now that I think about it, I wonder exactly what will the war be about?

SHOGUNN2517'S MANIACAL PERSONA