All SinCity's Comments

Preview: G.I.JOE: THE RISE OF COBRA (Article) - 6/1/2009 9:34:23 AM

I kept thinking, "how '80s'"... the dialogue, the steady camera (God, I miss being able to SEE the action as it occurs in modern actioners).... it really looks like someone took a mindless '80s action movie and gave it mind-blowing special effects.

The Khan Quagmire (Article) - 5/26/2009 3:34:08 PM

And now, to indulge in my Trekkie Geekiness!   :)

1. Saavik was half Romulan (as I believe was pointed out elsewhere)

2. Terrel's phaser was disintegrated because he was still holding it.  The energy coming out of the phaser was indiscriminate.  It didn't care that the phaser was its source.  It had a connection through Terrel's hand, so it destroyed the phaser.

3. McCoy saw a lab rat.  After all, It was Spacelab Regulus One (not Regula, if I may quibble (some more)... but it is pronounced "Regula." :)  )  I think it's pretty unlikely that there would be a rat crawling around the station if it wasn't invited. As to how it got out of its cage? Well, perhaps some Enterprising fan out there could write a short story.... Maybe it was Jerry.  Look around some more. I bet Tom is lurking nearby.... ;)

4. (In reponse to some of the comments):  The Original Series Enterprise had 430 crewmembers, not 100.

Incidentally, have you actually seen the seens with Peter Preston in them?  IMO, they are awkward and they interrupt the flow of the story; as do many of the scenes that were cut from this,  Personally, I don't miss his scenes a bit.

Had to get my 2 cents in... I've been a Trekkie since the second grade (I'm 42 now.)  As the MovieLord said, it's all in fun.  :)

BASTERDS Prequel Planned (Article) - 5/13/2009 9:50:45 AM

SQUAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABLE squabble squabble squabble squabble squabble squabble squabble squabble squabble squabble squabble squabble THIS is why I hardly ever participate in forum conversations.  Trolls, haters, and people who feed both.

*Y A W N*

Mania Giveaway: Star Trek Scene It? (Article) - 4/6/2009 3:19:33 PM

We were at a con in Hunt Vally, MD several years ago, and Walter Koenig was there. At one point during the afternoon, Mr. Koenig was heading up the escalator towards the dealer area. As it happened, several very large Klingons were milling about at the top of the escalator. They were not aware that Mr. Koenig was coming up the escalator. As he began to step off, one of the Klingons said in a very loud, brash voice, "Now where the hell is this little Chekov dude that's supposed to be here?"

Walter stepped off the escalator, did an immediate U-turn onto the Down-escalator, and hurried out of sight.

(I didn't witness this personally, I was in the lobby. Several of my friends related this story to me.)

Big PS3 Announcement Tomorrow (Article) - 3/30/2009 1:05:13 PM

"Other theories include a price drop in the PS2 or PSP"

Sounds more like wishful thinking to me.  After all, how would a PS2 or PSP price drop be a "Big PS--3-- announcement?"

The Response to Watchmen (Article) - 3/19/2009 1:49:15 PM

Has the overseas box office take been factored in?  I'm curious if it's more popular or less popular than here.

I figure this will become the Blade Runner of comic book movies.  It will build a huge cult following after a weak box-office run.

Just my 2 cents

Battlestar Galactica: The Disquiet That Follows My Soul (Article) - 1/25/2009 6:33:03 PM

It's Ellen Tigh, not Helen.

And if you recall this exchange at the very end of the episode where we met Ellen:

Headsix: "What was the result, really?"  (of Ellen's Cylon test0

Baltar: "I'll never tell."

(although, one would think that if she did come up positive, he would've mentioned it later when he was trying to learn who the Final 5 were.)

The 10 Best Sci-Fi Films Never Made (Article) - 11/24/2008 8:54:58 PM

<p>In reply to Hobbs:</p><br /> <p />You shoulda ripped my post.  I'm gonna rip yours.  You are warned.  :) </p><br /> <p />I made no comments about an evil Bush empire, but  I cannot agree with your horribly misguided assessment that Bush's Presidency hasn't been about militarism. The Cheney-Rumsfeld connected war profiteers are rolling in dough and they have this administration to thank for it. (Remember Halliburton? Yes? How about Blackwater?) And your comment about the Kool-Aid?? Oh, the IRONY!!  <laff></p><br /> <p />"Violence has settled more issues in history than has any other factor. That was the general theme of the novel which I realize wasn't portrayed in the movie at all. It also was about the collapse of democracy which happened because people voted for their "Messiah" who would give them everything they wanted without working for it (sound familiar)."</p><br /> <p />There are so many things wrong with this comment.  First off, the idea that violence settling more issues does not make it RIGHT. Have you ever served in the miliatry?  Have you been to Iraq? Maybe you have.  I don't know. If not, I don't believe you have any business selling this war. Go and be a part of the horror first hand before you advocate violence. And the "everything they wanted without working for it" deal?  Sounds a lot like what's going on in the financial sector right now. You folks on the Right need to stop this particular meme.  It's not making you any friends in the public sector.  No Liberal wants "something for nothing"... but we understand that enterprises fail and sometimes even good hard-working folks need a safety net from time to time.  Is it abused?  Hell, yes.  Do we advocate that abuse? No.</p><br /> <p />So many of you Right-Wing loons (your word) love to trot out the "We were attacked on 9/11, how can you forget that?" meme. (Thank you for making my original point, btw.)  The fact is, we on the Left do NOT forget that we were attacked; just as the Mobile Infantry does not forget Buenos Aires. (Trying to keep it SOMEWHAT on topic. :)  ) Nor do we imply that terrorism is not an evil that must be stopped.  That's just another interesting parallel between the movie and reality: 9/11 requires a response (I use the present tense because the response so far has been awful) as did the Klendathu attack in the movie. </p><br /> <p />Our beef is with the execution of the war on terror. Our civil liberties have been stripped away (much like in the movie); the administration has thumbed its nose at the law over and over (Alberto Gonzales, anyone?), torture has been committed without remorse, our military budget has inflated to unbelievable numbers, our government has used the attacks to lie us into a war with a nation that had NOTHING to do with 9/11, and anyone who questioned the post-9/11 policies of Bush was made to feel embarassed, humiliated, and even fearful for doing so (again, much like in the movie). We HAD Bin Laden in our sites, and Bush took us on a little adventure.  I don't know why.  I wish I did.  Oil comes to mind, as does war profiteering.  We'll never know because the Democrats in government are just as complicit and spineless when it comes to any real investigations. We took our eye off the ball, and Bin Laden is still free.  I could go on and on, but I'm sure I've irritated the Maniacs enough.</p><br /> <p />You wanna know what I'll do with myself a couple of months from now?</p><br /> <p />CELEBRATE.</p><br /> <p />P.S.  I DID read the novel, and you are correct that the movie's vision is not the same as Heinlein's. If they were trying to be faithful to it, they botched it relentlessly.  At the end of the day, we had a 90210-esque action flick with some interesting socio-political commentary, and in true Hollywood fashion, they slapped the name of a popular sci-fi book that the movie had very little in common with. BUT- the fact that it wasn't faithful to the book does not invalidate its points.</p>

The 10 Best Sci-Fi Films Never Made (Article) - 11/23/2008 8:56:16 AM

<p>&quot;Have you seen Verhoeven's Starship Troopers? Imagine that film without all the political bullshit that nobody involved understood anyway. &quot;</p> <p>&nbsp;</p> <p>Funny thing is, if you go watch it now... keeping the last eight years of Bush propaganda and war-selling in mind, you begin to realize as the movie progresses that the folks involved actually DID understand what they were talking about, and quite well.&nbsp; The drumbeat to war, the idea that you aren't patriotic if you aren't in 100% lockstep with the government's actions... it's all there.&nbsp; And it's quite profound to watch a movie that predates the Bush Administration yet sounds exactly like that administration.&nbsp; The writers and the Administration were definitely looking at the same handbook.&nbsp; </p> <p>&nbsp;</p>

Kate Beckinsale Done With UNDERWORLD? (Article) - 10/29/2008 3:03:38 PM

<p>Feh.&nbsp; She's just holding out for more moolah.</p> <p>&nbsp;</p> <p>&nbsp;</p>

SINCITY'S MANIACAL PERSONA