All Squid's Comments

<<  <  1 2 3 4 5 >  >>

Unspecified Title (Article) - 9/20/2009 3:23:04 AM

Wow.. name calling. Putting words in my mouth. I must have hit a nerve.

Stranger, regarding your points:

1. No, Stranger, I'm not a biologist, anthropoligist, or other type of scientist. So I don't represent science in that sense. Nor am I president of a $200 technology firm. (Why $200? Is that a typo?) And I don't have "the most intelligent people in the world" working for me. So what? Does that mean I can't ask questions when things don't make sense or say, "Hey, wait, it looks like you're changing your story?" (Btw, Stranger, you don't represent science, either... regardless of your credentials or what you control. Science is a collective process, not led by one voice.)  And for that matter, the only idea we have that are a president of a tech firm with the smartest people in the world working for you is your word. Care to back that up with proof?

2. Good for you... I want to hear the process out as well, although I don't know what I'm supposed to be pretending about.

3. My only one liner was in my 1st post, and that had the link. As for logic, the statements above "Which is more likely to have occured?" are basically Occam's Razor as it applies to this case, which is a classic piece of logic. And I'm not being logical for pointing this out?

4. Good for him. I never said he shouldn't do this, and I agree the skull is worthy of testing. Why are you saying I said these things? Show me where I said them, please. And for doing things with his heart... passion for what you believe is good. However, you should not let passion override reason.

5. I'm not sure what "a construct" is, but I thought the whole point of this was to produce evidence that the skull was a human/alien hybrid.

6. Again, I agree the testing should be done.

As for the rest of your statement... I'm glad to hear many scientists are watching this. Good for them. But they're not married to a conclusion, but they reject the conclusion that it's a deformed human being. What other conclusions are left, besides alien or fake, then?

Can someone please point out in my posts exactly where I said the skull shouldn't be tested? I'd like to know, because I didn't make such a statement. Nor did I say that Mr. Pye should live in poverty, nor did I say that he was in it for the money. In fact, I haven't insulted him in any way. Yet he has insulted me... "Squiddy Boy", "ignorant pomposities like you", "brainwashed belief", "people like you would never do", "profound ignorance", "Squid had to change his shorts after that!"

Mr. Pye, I'm not insulting you. Why are you insulting me? Is this your idea of debate... shout down any dissenting opinions?

Now Mr. Pye, I’m directly quoting you here… “I came into this in early 1999 as convinced as you that it had to be some kind of deformity. I mean, I'm a reasonable person and I had a life apart from the Starchild skull. I figured the odds on it being an actual real alien, or human-alien hybrid, were like 90%-10% against.” And then, later in the thread… “I keep plugging away at it because I KNOW, and I have known since the end of 1999, that the Starchild is not entirely human.” So, I take it you’re saying you went from being a skeptic to being a believer. Is this correct?

Mr. Pye, if it is an alien/human hybrid skull, and you can prove it to the scientific community at large, and it is then generally accepted as being such a hybrid by the vast majority of scientists worldwide, I will be glad to apologize to you and shake your hand, for you will have done what most people only dream about… radically change the world. Until then, I will remain a respectful skeptic.

Squid

Unspecified Title (Article) - 9/19/2009 11:40:08 PM

Just thought that I would pass this along... are you aware that there are codes on the covers of both Davinci Code and Lost Symbol?  One of the ones on LS's cover refers to a phone number... that, for the 1st 33 callers, wins a personally signed copy of Lost Symbol.  I encourage you to look at www.thecryptex.com for information on the codes.

Squid

Unspecified Title (Article) - 9/14/2009 12:39:57 AM

Sadly, Lloyd, you don't know what the Starchild is... you're assuming you know what the Starchild is.  You have made the decision that it's an alien-human hybrid, and are now trying to find any facts that fit your theory, all the while discarding facts that point to any other hypothesis.

For example, you had the skull's DNA tested before.  When the DNA came back as definitively human, you changed your hypothesis to refute the evidence, instead of discarding your hypothesis.  This, sadly, is typical of people who don't understand the scientific method and have already made their minds up about whatever theory they currently believe, be it alien, 9/11 conspiracy theorists, fake moon landing conspiracies, antivaccination believers, truthers, psychics, etc.

Yes, the name on the reports matter, because a key component of the scientific method is peer review.  A test or hypothesis is not valid unless the results, no matter what they are, can be duplicated by multiple scientists, working independently of each other, across the globe.  Anyone can claim to have a test performed and say what it's results were... it's only when a test can be duplicated multiple times by other scientists can a hypothesis move to a theory.

You say that you would never be so foolish as to have your scientists say that the skull is alien on paper.  Well then, how do you expect it to be accepted by scientists around the world?  How do you expect to get the articles published?  You can publish them yourself, of course, but since anyone can do that, you'll never get your hypothesis accepted.  So why can't you try the normal channels?  Because they won't accept any such article without an acceptable burden of proof, which you do not seem to have.

You say you don't want to put the scientists who have helped you at risk to impress people like Wyldstar and myself.  Well, we're the people you have to impress if you want to be taken seriously, and not be seen as a crackpot.  You see, the burden of proof is not on us to prove you wrong... it's on you to prove yourself right.  After all, your claim is that aliens had the capacity to visit Earth, did so 900 years ago, had a compatible genetic structure and genome, impregnated a Native American female, genetically altered the child that was produced, and then left, leaving no other traces behind except for this one skull.  In doing so, you're rejected such explanations as genetic disorders or deliberate malformation of the skull, which don't require your preferred explanation.  Which is more likely to have occured?

Squid

Unspecified Title (Article) - 9/13/2009 12:35:23 AM

Hmmm....  How best do I put this?

For a more rational explanation, and a more scientific one...

Squid

Disney to Purchase Marvel (Article) - 9/1/2009 10:08:05 PM

Betenoire... regarding Song of the South, Disney actually has plans to release it in the USA.  However, they've never acted on it.  The release would not be a big wide release, but would resemble something Leonard Malkin, the movie critic, came up with... a limited release, collector's edition style, that would have tons of in depth material about not just the stories but the era the film was made, racism, Joel Chandler Harris, a scholary study of the Uncle Remus Tales... in other words, more of a DVD release for scholars than your average American family.  As for Aladdin lyric changes, I can understand the reasoning, and the change to the song was planned before the release, if I remember correctly.

DeeJay4ADay, there are plenty of fansites that cover the amusement park industry.  Theme Park Review, Screamscape, SFoG.net, Theme Park Insider, MiceAge, MiceChat, Orlando United... those are just off the top of my head.  So there's plenty of sites that cover the industry.  What surprises me is that Mania doesn't cover them... Disney & Universal are major players in the media business, and anything that affects their parks affects their bottom line.  Most of the other theme park chains are also major players in media... Nickelodeon is going to build a new theme park in New Orleans, for example, on the site of the old Six Flags New Orleans/Jazzland.  Not to mention that whenever these companies build a new ride, it's usually a major deal... Expedition Everest at Animal Kingdom was $200 million, for example.

Squid

Disney to Purchase Marvel (Article) - 9/1/2009 2:46:25 AM

Wow... do people who post on this site even think anymore?

Disney already publishes R-rated material, it already publishes comics, and has for years.  Disney, besides being the world's largest media company, is a brand.  They put the Disney name & logo only on things that fit the brand... like Pixar films, or stuff like Witch Mountain.  They're NOT going to do some of the idiotic things some of you are suggesting... X-Men vs. Ursula?  Please...

As for Disney caving into conservative fundamentalists who complain about comics... you mean like they did for the Baptist boycott because they gave benefits to the partners of gays and lesbians?  Oh, wait... they didn't do that.  Disney told the religious right to go screw themselves.  The Mouse don't bow to anyone...

Hanso, for the time being, and perhaps in perpetuity, Marvel Island at IOA in Orlando will remain unchanged... ditto for the Amazing Spiderman ride at USJapan.  Disney has already said that it will honor all current Marvel contracts, and that includes the theme parks.  As for Universal, they still have the rights to Jurassic Park, Dr. Seuss, Harry Potter, Battlestar Galactica, Men In Black.... they're not going anywhere anytime soon.

Long term, Universal will eventually have to lose Marvel Studios Island, unless Disney lets them keep it... but that's years away.  Even if Universal keeps it, they now have to pay Disney for the priveledge.

I'm still surprised this site doesn't cover theme parks as well, seeing as how they're tied into media companies nowadays.

Squid

Unspecified Title (Article) - 8/29/2009 9:49:14 PM

If it's human nature to destroy ourselves... we're not doing a good job of it.  Shouldn't we have obliterated ourselves much earlier than this?  DvlDrvr13, in the article above, he points out that he's talking about Fundamentalists, not every person who holds to those three religions... and therein lies the problem.

It's the fundys we should be worrying about.  Basically, if you adopt an "I'm right, you're wrong, and I will not accept any proof to the contrary" you have become a fundamentalist.  Your mind is closed, and it's useless to try and change your mind, because you won't accept anything that might show your opinions to be wrong.  So, to support yourself and your ego, you seek out others like yourself... and the group grows stronger.  This pattern continues, groups swelling in size, until a crisis point is reached, and the group lashes out at their perceived oppressors.

This pattern of behavior runs throughout various groups... fundys, conspiracy theorists, monster hunters, basically anyone who has closed their mind off to contradictory evidence.  Alone, a single individual is not much of a threat, but in large groups, such people are dangerous.

Squid

Tron Watch '09: Flynn's Arcade (Article) - 7/29/2009 7:31:02 AM

According to the "articles" on www.flynnlives.com and the trailer, Flynn, sometime around 1990 "disappeared."  It is apparent that Flynn retreated into the Tronverse, cybercase, what have you... and his son is trying to find him, not believing that he's dead.  From the plot description, his son is drawn into the universe by his dad, and together father and son deal with the "threat"

Frankly, it sounds a lot like the plotline to Tron 2, the video game.  However, at this point, I'm so hyped about the movie that I don't care.

And for those of you wondering, yes, that is Jeff Bridges as the bad guy in the trailer... or at least a digital fascimilie of a younger him.  Makes you wonder, doesn't it?

Squid

Rats of NIMH Return (Article) - 7/29/2009 12:47:08 AM

In the 1st movie, human characters are seen, but only briefly.  Considering the plot of the original, I can't see how they would do this without making the characters anthromorphic... they're using tools, for example, and stealing electricity.  I'm for CG, if for no other reason than to make it different from the 1st movie.

Squid

On Price Hikes and Ripples (Article) - 6/28/2009 1:46:44 AM

I want to add in my 2 cents here...  I've seen something very similar to this in another industry  Movie theater chains.  (I am not talking about the studios, just the actual theaters people watch movies in.)  I worked in that industry for nine years, and in that time period, ticket prices doubled.  It wasn't due to inflation, or a rising cost of business... the price hike occured because one chain would raise their price, then the others would follow suit.

So, in my experience, expect the Marvel price increase to raise comic prices across the board and all publishers, because they believe that the prices are sustainable.  After all, where else are you going to get your fix?

SQUID'S MANIACAL PERSONA