All The Great Bear's Comments

Eigo Kudasai: This Side of Paradise (Article) - 12/1/2010 11:41:47 AM

And now it is fixed.

Eigo Kudasai: This Side of Paradise (Article) - 12/1/2010 5:17:56 AM

One minor correction: I mistakenly said twelve episodes, when in fact Eden of the East is only eleven.

Eigo Kudasai: To the Moon, Alice! (Article) - 5/19/2010 6:47:34 AM

@Stephanie: Thanks for your comments.

About casting: Thank you for your input here. I am not in the industry myself, and I do know this varies greatly from dubbing studio to dubbing studio, but I was under the impression that with the majority of dubs, the ADR Director had the most input over casting decision (though I was aware that the producers, both the R1 distribution company as well as the Japanese producers, do have significant input on the process, with the latter effectively exercising a veto at times, and having "requests" for certain actors to voice certain roles, the word request there being in quotes to show how much leeway the localization company has in refusing the request).

As for the illegal downloading issue: I deliberately wished to avoid that landmine, since it has already sparked a lot of heated discussion in anime forums across the internet. I write a humble dub column; I am not going to solve the R1 industry's problems by myself. And I did not wish this column to become yet another magnet for trolls. So that discussion is best left for elsewhere.

Personally, I can say honestly that I do not download any anime from the internet. Never have, never will.

Eigo Kudasai (English, please): Being a Brief%u2026Oh, who am I kidding? (Article) - 3/29/2010 5:26:14 AM

I'm afraid I'm not much of a gamer, so I couldn't really comment too much on videogame dubbing, though there are some very good dubs coming out in that format, often employing some of the same voice actors from anime.

Baka and Test -Summon the Beasts- Episode #10 (Article) - 3/20/2010 5:25:06 AM

I'm aware of Hideyoshi's popularity in Japan, but personally, I do not see why he is so popular. A boy of slight build, with feminine manners, who is often made (against his stated will) to cosplay in sexy female outfits that cater to various fetishes. For some, certainly there is an appeal. Not for me, but that's just a personal opinion.

As for the story in general, I'm still waiting to see something that, in my personal opinion, justifies the attention and popularity that this franchise gets. It's not bad, but I have yet to come across something that makes this show, and I would guess the light novels, "special." School comedies centered around idiots in love triangles is something that I've seen before more than once.

Anime Gift List: 10 Must Own Anime DVD's (Article) - 12/4/2009 10:33:31 AM

I would definitely put most of those on a Must See list, though I don't own many of them and don't plan to :P

It's a good, balanced list though, with many things that should appeal to many people.

THE GREAT BEAR'S MANIACAL PERSONA