All TheSleeper's Comments

<<  <  1 2 3 4 5 6 >  >>

GHOSTBUSTERS 3 in 2011? (Article) - 12/30/2009 8:11:31 AM

Why is anyone even bothering to throw out names?  It's going to be Shia LaBeouf because he's in everything.  Throw in that kid who played McLuvin' in SuperBad to play Egon's son, that girl who plays the cheerleader in Heroes, and a reality show wannabe to fill out the cast, and there's the movie, like it or not!

Sherlock Holmes Movie Review (Article) - 12/26/2009 1:36:32 PM

Well, I've read all the books, and I can say I enjoyed this movie.  Sure, Holmes is involved in a bit more fisticuffs than the stories might suggest, but that doesn't happen at the expense of his mental feats of deduction.  He's still the idiosyncratic genius we all know him to be.

It's a fairly truthful adaptation, the writers knew their Holmes "canon" that's for sure.

AVATAR Movie Review (Article) - 12/23/2009 10:57:30 AM

Scythe, I give you credit for deducing Rachel was going to be killed and Vulcan was going to blow up, but if you were able to do that surely Avatar's storyline was a no-brainer.  You knew very early on, from the moment the colonel gives Jake the mission to spy on the Na'vi, that Jake would go to the other side.  You knew from the moment Jake meets Natiri that he would eventually become the leader of the tribe.  You knew from the moment you heard about the great red rooster that Jake was going to fly that big ol' bird.  There really aren't any unpredictable twists in the movie at all.  Now, that doesn't mean you can't enjoy the movie, but it is a valid criticism.

It's one thing to like Avatar, but if we're going to criticize people for hating it unduly, I say it's just as unreasonable to claim it is perfect in every way.  It's really not.

AVATAR has $16 Mil Monday (Article) - 12/23/2009 9:28:51 AM

Well sure, if you're going to smoke a fat bowl of herb before the movie a lot of films are going to be pretty good...

AVATAR Takes First Worldwide (Article) - 12/21/2009 5:42:50 PM

I'm looking forward to Holmes, but I hope they don't try to make it TOO big.  I hate it when you see 19th Century wooden wagons filled with hay or lumber blow up like trucks full of TNT -- stuff didn't blow up  so good back then, Hollywood!

AVATAR Movie Review (Article) - 12/21/2009 4:21:34 PM

scythe, I have to disagree with you in that Star Trek and Dark Knight were way less predictable than Avatar.  I sure wasn't expecting Vulcan to be blown up in Star Trek.  And I was surprised they killed Rachel in Dark Knight.

Avatar, you pretty much knew the whole story within the first thirty minutes.  You knew Jake would first be hated by his Na'vi gal pal, but that eventually they would fall in love.  You knew eventually Jake would switch sides and lead the Na'vi into battle against the humans. And you knew the colonel was going to be the big bad at the end.

Avatar's real strength lies in its visuals.  Its characters are effective, but just barely so -- if they weren't CGI, we'd all be even less impressed with them.  As for story, let's just say they went for a very old fashioned approach.

AVATAR Takes First Worldwide (Article) - 12/21/2009 11:06:15 AM

Yeah, gauleyboy, but that's because on Earth they don't have Eywa or whatever the tree goddess thing is.  In the sequel the whole planet will become a force for vengeance, kind of like Unicron from the Transformers or something, and go mano a mano with the Earth itself, in the biggest smackdown ever.

20 Most Anticipated Games for 2010 (Article) - 12/21/2009 10:36:52 AM

Where the heck is MAG?  256 players online!  C'mon, it could be pretty cool, if the teamwork and strategy aspects actually work.

AVATAR Takes First Worldwide (Article) - 12/21/2009 7:30:22 AM

Stormrider - keep in mind all the CGI faces in Avatar were done with motion capture of the actors.  I still don't see the rationale for using full on CGI facial expression (which still isn't all that great at capturing nuanced performances, especially when it comes to actual human faces, not cartoon ones or alien ones) as opposed to the much simpler (and certainly cheaper) actual human performances.

The only way I see full CGI actors being really useful is say, a situation where you want to make an Indiana Jones movie with the young Harrison Ford, and you get old Harrison to do the voice.  Or you want to make a perfect recreation of the old Star Trek series with young thin Shatner, and you get current Shatner to do the voice.  That kind of situation is where CGI would really be useful.

AVATAR Takes First Worldwide (Article) - 12/20/2009 6:13:44 PM

Well, the domestic box office is about what I expected.  Those people who were predicting $150 million, $200 million domestic opening weekend were just drunk on hype.

I'm interested to see what kind of legs this movie has, I really don't know.  On the one hand after Christmas there aren't going to be many big films coming out, so that should help Avatar.  On the other hand, I don't know if this is a movie people need to see over and over and over again, like the girls did with Titanic.

Either way, I'd be surprised if it beats Dark Knight in terms of being second highest gross of all time (domestic).  No way it's reaching Titanic!

THESLEEPER'S MANIACAL PERSONA