All VTGamehendge's Comments

Showing items 651 - 660 of 1,813

Philip Seymour Hoffman Dead (Article) - 2/3/2014 8:34:24 PM

Sorry, that was supposed to be COLITIS.

Philip Seymour Hoffman Dead (Article) - 2/3/2014 8:33:41 PM

And a little background on myself:  I've undergone two surgeries for severe ulcerative cilitis (look it up) to remove my entire large intestine and do reconstruction, three fistulotomies (look it up), chronic kidney stones, a bulging L4-L5 disc, and SI joint dysfunction (again, look that one up).  I'm not begging for sympathy or feeling sorry for myself, but I just wanted to point out that sometimes addiction isn't necessarily a choice.  At least not completely.  Like I said, mine was a combination of taking a lot of pain meds for legitimate medical reasons and then also partying with friends.  Though I never even knew how great those drugs could make me feel before I was prescribed them.  When I hear an addiction story I always seek answers to the pertinent questions.  How did it start?  Like I said, not always black and white.  Seems like Hoffman was probably just a recovering junkie who fell off the wagon, but it's not always that simple.

Philip Seymour Hoffman Dead (Article) - 2/3/2014 8:11:13 PM

I can certainly understand where Wiseguy is coming from.  But for a lot of us it starts as just hanging out with friends and having a good time or starting on pain pills for medical reasons.  For me it was a combination of both.  I'm not going to make excuses for myself or anyone else.  But at the same time, it's not always black and white.  Hoffman sounds like he started using a long time ago as an escape.  But one thing that happens with recovering addicts like myself (and I've slipped up a few times, but thankfully never actually relapsed) is that many think after they've been clean for a year or two or even a decade or more that they can have a good time one night and catch a buzz and that'll be it.  The problem with that (and again, I know from personal experience) is after having been addicted in the past, the next day you feel like absolute Hell; both physically and mentally.  And you know that all it takes to fix that is $20 and a phone call and you think that'll be it.  Like taking care of a hangover.  But then it snowballs.  One day becomes two, becomes a week, becomes a month, and next thing you know you're back in that downward spiral.

Again, look at what I said in my previous comment about Hoffman.  I don't feel sorry him because he chose to use again so he did it to himself.  But at the same time addiction is NEVER black and white.  His story sounds like it started as an escape years ago, but some people's addictions start out much more innocently.  I just felt like I needed to chime with my personal experiences.

Philip Seymour Hoffman Dead (Article) - 2/3/2014 9:55:13 AM

As someone who has dealt with addiction personally and known others who have as well, it's very difficult to explain to those who have never experienced it.  It LITERALLY takes control of your life, so I'm not suprised to hear that he was getting high before picking up his kids.  Eventually you get to the point where you can't function normally throughout the day without the drug.  I know.  I've been there.  Again, it's not something that can be explained to someone who has never experienced it.  Addiction is just such a destructive and engulfing demon.  I'm not gonna call it a disease because I also believe it's not a disease, and I've dealt with it.

That being said, I don't feel sorry for him.  He chose to start using again.  I do feel bad for his family and friends and I'm sad that we'll never get to see him work again.  But in no way will I ever feel sympathy for him.  Maybe in some way I feel sorry for his tortured soul, but that's as far as I go.  R.I.P.

Super Bowl 2014 Trailers (Article) - 2/3/2014 8:33:14 AM

Which of these movies is Jake Gyllenhall in?  His pic is in the headline box.  Was that just random?

Eisenberg is Luthor - Irons is Alfred (Article) - 2/2/2014 12:23:39 PM

Woodye, it's ironic that you mentioned Philip Seymour Hoffman.  Just saw a report he was found dead today in Manhattan of an apparent drug overdose.

Eisenberg is Luthor - Irons is Alfred (Article) - 2/1/2014 9:31:59 PM

ElBaz, Now You See Me was terrible...

Eisenberg is Luthor - Irons is Alfred (Article) - 2/1/2014 11:23:41 AM

No no, SuperFan.  He invented THE Facebook.  Justin Timberlake invented "Facebook."  Without the "THE."

Eisenberg is Luthor - Irons is Alfred (Article) - 2/1/2014 10:26:37 AM

Yeah, and I don't understand people who call others "haters" simply because they have a different opinion and don't like certain decisions made with movies or don't like certain actors or whatever.  Unless someone is just trolling and being a douche.  But if someone expresses an honest opinion and isn't a dick about it then I don't have a problem with people not agreeing with my point of view.  I would argue that the people who cry "HATER" all the time are the true haters.  HATERS!  BLAAHHH!

Besides, haven't we all kinda gotten used to disagreement on these comment boards by now?  I forget which one of you guys said this a while back, but these comment sections would be a tad boring if everyone agreed with each other 100% of the time.  Variety is the spice of life!  And I like it spicy, baby...

Eisenberg is Luthor - Irons is Alfred (Article) - 2/1/2014 9:59:07 AM

I still would like to have seen Derek Mears get a look at Luthor.  He's already got the bald thing going due to his alopecia.  And he's definitely got the evil, menacing look.  Even though he's mostly done action and stunt work and horror movies (he played Jason in the Friday the 13th reboot, and I thought he did an excellent job) I think he's a decent enough actor that he could pull it off.

VTGAMEHENDGE'S MANIACAL PERSONA