All VTGamehendge's Comments

Showing items 751 - 760 of 1,915

Rogue Status - X-Men: Days of Future Past (Article) - 2/4/2014 10:36:16 AM

Lol, Higgy!  I literally thinking the same thing and was about to post that and then I scrolled down and saw your comment.

Philip Seymour Hoffman Dead (Article) - 2/4/2014 10:32:22 AM

I got ya.  And I wasn't trying to call you out or anything or tell you you're wrong.  I was just trying to point out that not everyone's addiction starts out like that.  Sometimes it's the result of situations that really are out of your control, such as health/medical issues.  And I'm not gonna lie and try and sugar coat it.  While my addiction had its roots in my medical problems, it grew into the monster that it became because I liked getting high.  I wasn't trying to cover anything up in my life or "numb the pain" or fix my depression (in fact, the drugs led to depression and anxiety problems).  I actually had a job, working 40-60 hrs/week as the head bartender at a country club making $55k a year.  I liked the way the drugs made me feel and I thought that I could stop whenever I wanted, but then I woke up one day and all of a sudden I had been getting high for four years.  Now mine never got nearly as bad as Hoffman's or other people I've known, but it was still a struggle to get straight.  And like I said, I've slipped up a few times, but it's pretty much always been a one time or two time deal and then it clicked in my brain that I didn't wanna start digging that hole again.  So that's where any inkling of sympathy I may have once had for PSH ends.

Philip Seymour Hoffman Dead (Article) - 2/3/2014 8:34:24 PM

Sorry, that was supposed to be COLITIS.

Philip Seymour Hoffman Dead (Article) - 2/3/2014 8:33:41 PM

And a little background on myself:  I've undergone two surgeries for severe ulcerative cilitis (look it up) to remove my entire large intestine and do reconstruction, three fistulotomies (look it up), chronic kidney stones, a bulging L4-L5 disc, and SI joint dysfunction (again, look that one up).  I'm not begging for sympathy or feeling sorry for myself, but I just wanted to point out that sometimes addiction isn't necessarily a choice.  At least not completely.  Like I said, mine was a combination of taking a lot of pain meds for legitimate medical reasons and then also partying with friends.  Though I never even knew how great those drugs could make me feel before I was prescribed them.  When I hear an addiction story I always seek answers to the pertinent questions.  How did it start?  Like I said, not always black and white.  Seems like Hoffman was probably just a recovering junkie who fell off the wagon, but it's not always that simple.

Philip Seymour Hoffman Dead (Article) - 2/3/2014 8:11:13 PM

I can certainly understand where Wiseguy is coming from.  But for a lot of us it starts as just hanging out with friends and having a good time or starting on pain pills for medical reasons.  For me it was a combination of both.  I'm not going to make excuses for myself or anyone else.  But at the same time, it's not always black and white.  Hoffman sounds like he started using a long time ago as an escape.  But one thing that happens with recovering addicts like myself (and I've slipped up a few times, but thankfully never actually relapsed) is that many think after they've been clean for a year or two or even a decade or more that they can have a good time one night and catch a buzz and that'll be it.  The problem with that (and again, I know from personal experience) is after having been addicted in the past, the next day you feel like absolute Hell; both physically and mentally.  And you know that all it takes to fix that is $20 and a phone call and you think that'll be it.  Like taking care of a hangover.  But then it snowballs.  One day becomes two, becomes a week, becomes a month, and next thing you know you're back in that downward spiral.

Again, look at what I said in my previous comment about Hoffman.  I don't feel sorry him because he chose to use again so he did it to himself.  But at the same time addiction is NEVER black and white.  His story sounds like it started as an escape years ago, but some people's addictions start out much more innocently.  I just felt like I needed to chime with my personal experiences.

Philip Seymour Hoffman Dead (Article) - 2/3/2014 9:55:13 AM

As someone who has dealt with addiction personally and known others who have as well, it's very difficult to explain to those who have never experienced it.  It LITERALLY takes control of your life, so I'm not suprised to hear that he was getting high before picking up his kids.  Eventually you get to the point where you can't function normally throughout the day without the drug.  I know.  I've been there.  Again, it's not something that can be explained to someone who has never experienced it.  Addiction is just such a destructive and engulfing demon.  I'm not gonna call it a disease because I also believe it's not a disease, and I've dealt with it.

That being said, I don't feel sorry for him.  He chose to start using again.  I do feel bad for his family and friends and I'm sad that we'll never get to see him work again.  But in no way will I ever feel sympathy for him.  Maybe in some way I feel sorry for his tortured soul, but that's as far as I go.  R.I.P.

Super Bowl 2014 Trailers (Article) - 2/3/2014 8:33:14 AM

Which of these movies is Jake Gyllenhall in?  His pic is in the headline box.  Was that just random?

Eisenberg is Luthor - Irons is Alfred (Article) - 2/2/2014 12:23:39 PM

Woodye, it's ironic that you mentioned Philip Seymour Hoffman.  Just saw a report he was found dead today in Manhattan of an apparent drug overdose.

Eisenberg is Luthor - Irons is Alfred (Article) - 2/1/2014 9:31:59 PM

ElBaz, Now You See Me was terrible...

Eisenberg is Luthor - Irons is Alfred (Article) - 2/1/2014 11:23:41 AM

No no, SuperFan.  He invented THE Facebook.  Justin Timberlake invented "Facebook."  Without the "THE."

VTGAMEHENDGE'S MANIACAL PERSONA