All animefanjared's Comments

<<  <  31 32 33 34

Unspecified Title (Article) - 7/4/2009 9:42:10 PM

This is a mistake on FUNimation's part.  The anime DVD market isn't really strong enough to sustain multiple versions of the same feature, especially being released so close to one another.  This 1.01 vs. 1.11 business reeks of trying to con more money out of anime fans.  This kind of thing may have been successful 10 years ago, but I don't think there are enough fans on this side of the Pacific that are still buying DVDs to make it work.  It's sad because I am genuinely looking forward to this film, but now I feel like I should just wait until 2010 for the "director's cut" version.

Also, does anyone else think Anno should at least wait until he's finished this new film series before he starts going back, adding like 2 seconds of new animation, and passing it off as a new version of the film?

Unspecified Title (Article) - 7/4/2009 9:32:42 PM

This trailer doesn't really do anything for me.  It looks neither action-packed nor hilarious.

Of course, I'm one of the few people who doesn't seem to be a fan of the original anime, which I found to be a poorly executed exploitation of a fantastic manga property.  So maybe I'm biased :-)

Unspecified Title (Article) - 4/4/2009 7:04:46 AM

So is this a sequel series set in the same continuity as the original and movie?  Or is at a readaptation/reimagining of the manga from the start?  Either way, I don't know how I feel.  I loved the first series, but I think one of the nice things about most anime is they tell the story they have to tell and then end.  I'm afraid this is just an attempt by the producers to make more money off the franchise and will end up sullying the FMA brand.

Unspecified Title (Article) - 3/4/2009 1:53:01 PM

This is something of a mixed blessing for anime fans.  You can get a lot of stuff real cheap (I got the first box set of Death Note for $25), it also means you won't be able to stroll into Best Buy anymore and browse the new releases.  Call me old fashioned, but I think there's something to be said for actually seeing and handling a DVD before you buy it.

ALSO, I think the fact that more and more retailers have stopped stocking anime is a bad sign for the industry.  While I understand anime doesn't sell nearly as much as it used to, the fact that online is really the only place to get anime anymore means that things are going to get tougher for the smaller releases.  No longer will a release have the chance to catch your eye as you stroll through the store; you have to know what you want to order online.  So I expect anime sales will get even worse, and the only shows that will sell well anymore will be shows with TV exposure like Bleach and Naruto, and proven sellers like DBZ and the umpteenth re-release of Evangelion. :-(

Mumbling Kitsune: Subs Versus Dubsâ%u20AC%u201DThe Fight Over Words (Article) - 1/22/2009 1:08:05 PM

I think this is a very different argument than it was 10 years ago, when anime was just starting to get more mainstream.  A lot of the arguments for subs were a lot stronger back in the late 90s/early 2000s, when the general quality of dubs was a lot worse.  I think today English dubs have caught up more in terms of quality so that it's largely a matter of personal preference.

For me, the quality of a dub can make a huge difference in which I perfer.  I generally prefer dubs, but to this day I cannot bring myself to watch even 5 minutes of "Escaflowne" dubbed.  That show to me represents a prime example of how a bad dub can really bring down the quality of an anime, as it manages to make what is widely considered one of the best animes of the 90s into something that in English is at best mildly interesting.  Yet I wouldn't dream of watching "Cowboy Bebop" in any language other than English, largely because the extra care was taken with that dub to ensure it is top notch (David Lucas and Wendee Lee *are* Spike and Faye to me).

I've also noticed that for me it seems to be a matter of which language I first heard.  Generally, I will gravitate towards the language I saw my first episode or a particular show in.  Although I will note that I have a much easier time switching from English to Japanese than the other way around (which I do attribute to the generally higher quality of Japanese voice acting).

Unspecified Title (Article) - 1/16/2009 7:10:16 AM

Cowboy Bebop is my favorite anime franchise, and I am definitely NOT looking forward to this movie.

Although I do agree that "Bebop" would translate to live action far more believably than something like Dragonball (and we don't have to worry as much about Americanizing it because the original show was already heavily influenced by the West), I think Keanu Reeves is a *terrible* choice.  He cannot act, and will likely substitute dull stoicism for Spike's laidback and playful cynicism.

The only thing that will be mildly entertaining will be to see which actress they sign to play Faye.

Ghost in the Shell: Standalone Complex Complete Collection (Anime Legends Edition) (Article) - 11/13/2008 10:42:52 AM

<p>I bought these disc individually when they were first released and the same thing happened to me (I&nbsp;remember because I'm a huge fan of Yoko Kanno's work and was disappointed her interview was missing).&nbsp; This is clearly a problem on Bandai's end, and judging from ScrappedAeon's response it's one that's been going on for quite a while.</p>

ANIMEFANJARED'S MANIACAL PERSONA