All animefanjared's Comments

New DEATHLY HALLOWS Featurette (Article) - 10/26/2010 2:44:54 PM

Violator, I feel the same way about "Half Blood Prince."  I think on the initially viewing I got so caught up in how different (and truncated) it was compared to the book that I couldn't enjoy it.  Once I had a better idea what to expect, I think it's one of the better films in the series.

HOBBIT Cast Confirmed (Article) - 10/23/2010 9:16:50 PM

Unless the story necessitates much younger versions of the characters (like it does with Bilbo), I'm sure the original actors will reprise their roles.  Every actor involved with the LOTR trilogy talks about it as a career highlight, and Peter Jackson seems to command an incredible amount of respect and loyalty from all of the actors he works with.  Plus, we know this movie is going to have deep pocketbooks (I think the budget for these two films vastly exceeds the budget for the last 3), so pay won't be an issue.

I'm looking forward to this, but keeping my expectations in check.  The Hobbit novel isn't nearly as epic as LOTR, so the chances of it topping the original trilogy for me is slim.  But hopefully these films will be kick ass companion pieces.

Is Tom Hardy BATMAN's Villain? (Article) - 10/14/2010 12:59:54 PM

I'm still not sold on the Spider-Man reboot, but the news of the Lizard being the villain is good news.  I never really bought the Venom rumors.  One of Sony's goals in making a reboot is to wash the taste of Spider-Man 3 out of our mouths, and reusing the villain from that piece of garbage wouldn't have helped.

I know Nolan likes to take his sweet time announcing details, but I would *love* for an official announcement to happen as to who the villain(s) will be in the next Batman.  Mostly because I'm sick of all the rumors.  I don't know if the Riddler thrills me, but it would be nice to see Nolan do a better take on the character than Jim Carrey's scenery chewing in Batman Forever.

Harry Potter 3D Axed (Article) - 10/9/2010 9:16:14 AM

What a happy surprise.  I didn't know anyone in Hollywood had the integrity to avoid jumping on the 3D bandwagon rather than release a subpar product.  Plus, that money I just saved on my first ticket makes the chances of me buying a second much higher :-)

10 SUPERMAN Villains Snyder Could've Used (Article) - 10/8/2010 12:29:35 PM

As much as I think he's a genius, villain choice is one area where I think Nolan's involvement may be holding this film back.  He's made it clear he prefers his villains on the more "realistic" which rules out half the list.

I would love to see Darkseid on the big screen, but agree that he seems like sequel material (or in fanboy fantasy land, a Justice League movie).  I think Metallo and Bizarro are good choices, but they would need someone to be manipulating them since neither one is exactly a criminal mastermind.  I agree that Brainiac seems like the most obvious choice, as he's intelligent, hasn't been done on the big screen, ties in with Superman's origins, and could throw down with Big Blue by virtue of being a freakin' robot!!!

Snyder takes on SUPERMAN, Zod (Article) - 10/6/2010 12:30:37 PM

I will repeat that I am ambivalent about Zod.  He could be awesome, could be just okay.  But I *don't* buy the reason for including him being that they need a "known" villain for marketing purposes.  Nolan used Scarecrow and Ras al G'hul for his first Batman film, villains that weren't well known outside of comicdom.  And people still turned up to see that one.

I think the problem is that a lot of the villains being mentioned (Metallo, Bizarro, etc) have origins that are very much reactions to Superman's presence, and so introducing them at the same time as a new take on the character could be tricky.  Brainiac would be a great choice, and provide the chance for some truly epic battles (who doesn't want to see Superman beat the snot out of a bunch of giant robots).

My favorite Superman villain by far is Darkseid, but he seems very much like a sequel kind of villain.  So whether Zod is the sole villain in the new film, one of several, or a total mislead, I hope Snyder nails this film so we can get another one :-)

Snyder takes on SUPERMAN, Zod (Article) - 10/5/2010 8:37:14 AM

Here's my two cents:

Not sold on Snyder as a director.  I haven't seen that owl movie he made, but the film before that (Watchmen) had a lot of the same problems I had with Singer's Superman film.  Namely, a sometimes plodding pace and a slavish adherence to source material that got details right but didn't capture the material's spirit.  The fact that there are supposedly links to the Donner films only increases my fear the Snyder will get so bogged down in "honoring" those films he'll forget to do his own take on things.

I don't mind Zod as a villain, but if this new film is going to be a psuedo sequel to the Donner films, won't that make Zod a retread?  You can't drastically change his characterization (the way Nolan did the the Joker) if it is supposed to be the exact same incarnation of the guy from Superman II. At least it isn't Luthor, but agree that maybe we should be looking elsewhere in Superman's rogues gallery.  I guess the only problem is that villains like Metallo and Bizarro are very much reactions to Superman's presence in the world, and so it seems weird to introduce them right with a new incarnation of Big Blue.

While I love The Dark Knight (it really is one of my favorite films, superhero or otherwise), I think it has negatively impacted superhero movies in that all of them seem to want to be "gritty" and "real" now.  I have no interest in a "gritty" Superman movie.  Superman is fun, plain and simple.  I want a film that embraces that fun and celebrates the character, including his Blue Boyscout persona.  The man dresses in *the* three primary colors, for God's sake!  That tells you what kind of world he lives in.  He doesn't have to be some brooding anti-hero; he's a hero, and fights for truth, justice, and the American way!  These are core aspects of his character, and trying to remove them so that the film fits into the fad of what is perceived as "in" right now is a major reason why the last film failed.

Oh, and I wanna see Supes kick the crap out of some super powered baddie (which is one reason why Zod could be awesome)!

Snyder takes on SUPERMAN, Zod (Article) - 10/5/2010 8:13:47 AM

We all have opinions on this (this being the Superman news, because everything else in this post is clearly unimportant), and here's my two cents.

Not entirely sold on Snyder as a director.  I have not seen that movie with the owls he made, but his Watchman adaptation, while not terrible, had a lot of the same problems that plagued the last Superman flick.  Namely, a sometimes slow pace and slavish adherence to the source material that got a lot of the details right but didn't capture the materiel's spirit.  The idea that this new film will have links to the Donner films only increasing my fears of capturing details without capturing spirit.  I don't have as much problem with Zod as a villain, but if the new film is going to acknowledge the old films' continuity, wouldn't that put Zod in danger of feeling like a retread?  I agree with everyone that there are plenty of other Superman villains, and as a viewer it gets old to always see the main baddie be Luthor or Zod.

I absolutely adore The Dark Knight (it really is one of my favorite movies, superhero or otherwise), but I do think it has had a negative impact on superhero films in that all of them seemingly have to be "gritty" and "real" now.  I have no interest in a "gritty" Superman film.  I want a fun movie that acknowledges and respects the character's Blue Boyscout roots rather than trying to roughen them up.  The guys dresses in *the* three primary colors, for God's sake!  He is not some brooding anti-hero; he's a straight up hero!  If you have to have a "darker" edge, take a cue from some of the best Superman stories and explore how being so moral and idealistic does have drawbacks in today's world.

Oh yeah, and I want to see Supes beat the snot out of some super powered heavy (which is one reason Zod as villain is a good idea)!

SPIDER-MAN Casting Rumors (Article) - 10/4/2010 8:48:58 AM

Hoffman as Venom has got to be bull.  He's completely wrong for it.  Also, Venom was one of the more criticized elements of the third Raimi film, I don't know why the studio would be attempting him again so soon.  I for one have no interest in seeing another big screen Venom.

More POTTER Books Possible (Article) - 10/3/2010 9:54:58 PM

As a huge Potter fan, I don't know how I feel about this.  One of the things I like about the books is that they were conceived as a seven novel saga, and she fulfilled that promise.  The only way I think this would be successful is if any new books were sidestories or prequels.  Doing anything with Harry, Ron, and Hermione after the fall of Voldemort would just seem anticlimatic.  Doing a new series with their kids is so obvious (and would be so precariously close to a retread) that I think she should stay far away from that idea.

I think prequels would be the way to go.  It would be interesting to find out more about Hogwarts before Harry, like more backstory on his parents or Dumbledore's many adventures.  Or another idea a fellow fan pitched to me which I think would be brilliant is to set any new books at one of the other magic schools.  We'd get a change of scenery and learn more about the magic world.  They could be set after the seven existing books, or happen concurrently, and we could see how all the trouble in England affects the world at large.

I do believe that Rowling will only write more books if she feels inspired to.  She's not going to run out of money.  She's got a ton of it, and unlike some celebrities doesn't seem to spend it on outlandish extravagances.

ANIMEFANJARED'S MANIACAL PERSONA