View Full Version : Hakuouki Reimeiroku Discussion Thread
07-11-2012, 08:07 AM
Genres: Action, Drama, Historical, Samurai, Shoujo, Supernatural
A third TV series, it is the prequel of Hakuouki.
The story takes place in 1863 as the violent uprising due to political discord disrupt Japan. The Tokugawa shoganate creates the Roshigumi, a masterless group of samurai to aid Aizu forces in Kyoto.
However, things aren't boding well for the new police force, as assassinations split the group into two opposing factions. The more powerful faction is led by Kamo Serizawa while the smaller faction is led by the noble-minded Kondo Isami.
Number of Episodes: 12
ANN Link (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=14088)
Official Site (http://www.geneonuniversal.jp/rondorobe/anime/hakuoki/)
As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
3) Don't use the blue "Post Reply" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Quote" to the post you want to reply to.
07-11-2012, 08:52 AM
The opening was really nice.
Ibuki got himself beaten pretty badly.
He was lucky he got picked up by Serizawa.
Although he didn't get much of a welcome from the guys at first.
Guess they were all itching for him to prove himself.
That Hijikata is quite a character, always impressive & above the rest.
Nice first episode, will be watching ti.
07-14-2012, 02:55 PM
- First full-length show without a 1080 option in quite some time. Video is fine though. Audio is kinda shit and tinny though, espcially the OP.
- Hmm. Hakuouki with even less females. So the protagonist in this is not someone I remember showing up in the first two seasons. I guess he leaves them at the end, since this is a prequel.
- "Your belated father." ...Belated? He's dead, shouldn't that be "late" or something if they're going for that idiom? Does belated have a meaning in this context I'm not amiliar with?
- Really, CR? Flipped names? I'll keep watching because honorifics (which are more important) are in and if anyone else subs this it'll probably be slow as hell, but flipped names? Wow, pathetic, CR.
- Everyone looks exactly the same age as in the first season. This can't have taken place much earlier, that or they just didn't feel like drawing new designs.
07-18-2012, 10:05 AM
Saito makes an appearance.
Seeing Hijikata smile sure was a rare treat ^-^
Everyone else was pretty excited too.
Well, it was nice seeing them all together.
Ryunosuke seems to be attracting trouble wherever he goes.
His main problem also seems to be the lack of fighting skills.
Can't figure out if he's just scared to fight or has been previously traumatized by something.
All in all, since he's trouble prone, his problem keeps repeating.
Guess we'll finally get to see how the whose rasetsu thing got started.
07-21-2012, 04:14 PM
- Saitou arrives. Kinda didn't notice he wasn't there.
- Ryuunosuke you're kinda a wimp.
- What's with this capitalizing Japanese words like SAKE? That's an annoying and odd subtitling quirk. Do they really think we're going to mix up the drink with the word for "on behalf of"?
- Oh and capitalizing Saitou's attack names and whatever too. Yeah this is stupid.
- There's really remarkably little to say about this show, but it does what it's intended to do, and competently enough.
07-25-2012, 06:46 AM
So they are now officially under Shogunate's protection.
Serizawa made it happen, but everything comes with a price.
I wonder how much that cost...
Ryunosuke playing hero kinda backfired.
He also has a tendency to find himself in interesting situations.
Hijikata and his Rules of Conduct. Pretty strict, but also smart.
Soji was really acting strange throughout the episode.
Serizawa's influence seems to be having an impact on him.
07-29-2012, 12:24 AM
- Souji is kinda dumb. He's constantly picking verbal fights (sometimes deserved, sometimes not) and keeps coming out on the wrong end.
- And Heisuke just gives him this "oh for fuck's sake shut up" look. :sd:
- Oh Kosuzu, I admire your bravery but you picked the wrong guy to yell at.
- We better see more of her.
- Goddamn this CAPITALIZE JAPANESE WORDS thing is really annoying. Who the fuck translated this?
- I enjoy the depiction of Sannan. From the first two series you know him as this power-mad zombievampiresamurai guy who caused all kinds of problems. This is before that, but he still retains a bi
- Braaaaaaaaatty Souji, jeeze.
08-01-2012, 08:18 AM
This is visually such a beautiful anime.
There is no way that any girl wouldn't enjoy this ^^
Kondou - Okita relationship history was interesting.
The flashbacks to his childhood and past were kinda sad.
It felt good watching his be stronger than himself to overcome his situation.
Looks like Serizawa is using Okita for his own little plans. Not good.
This episode was all about Okita Souji.
08-04-2012, 11:33 PM
- And now some backstory on why Souji is such a brat.
- Huh, they didn't take this in the direction I expected. I thought Serizawa incited Souji to kill so that he could try to force Toshi and Kondou to kill Souji per the rules of conduct. That wasn't quite it though. He's still doing this to screw with them, sure, but he's not trying to get Souji killed. Yet.
08-08-2012, 07:06 AM
Wow, Serizawa sure had some interesting methods of "borrowing" money.
A girl appears & saves Ryunosuke in a pinch (as usually someone does) LOL
Turns out she was just returning him a favor..
Damn, that Ryunosuke is pretty clueless on proper etiquette.
No wonder trouble is his middle name.
The showcase matches had some interesting pairs.
It was pretty cool to watch ^^
So, they are finally building up to what they became later on.
08-11-2012, 06:55 PM
Ryuunosuke, you really need to not talk. Especially around Kosuzu.
Anyway, they've got our distinctive Shinsengumi uniforms now, though they're still known as the Roshigumi.
08-18-2012, 05:29 PM
I wonder how well this season will tie into the first. I can't remember a lot of the details of the early rasetsu stuff in the first season, other than that Sannan was heavily involved and Toshi and Kondou were allowing it. Serizawa needs to exit stage left at some point before this season ends so I guess it'll be interesting to see how the Roshigumi choose to maintain the rasetsu program without his pushing for it.
Oh and jeeze Souji is a mess in this season.
08-22-2012, 09:01 AM
Hijikata getting lectured by Serizawa.
Well, he did say some useful things tough.
Flashback to the old days was nice to watch.
At least we got some new info about the past and Hijikata & Toshi.
Ryunosuke is still a joke... sigh... when will he do something about it?!
The experimenting continues... that sure pissed of Hijikata.
Heisuke vs Rasetsu. Not a pretty sight.
Just one monster and so much trouble..
08-25-2012, 05:54 PM
"I was writing a letter to my daughter in Edo." Haha, wow it took me this long to remember that this guy was Chizuru's father. Guess I'd forgotten that backstory already.
And man, come on Ryuunosuke, be good for something for once.
08-28-2012, 04:01 PM
Things are pretty lively.
Souji vs Saito flashback was nice.
Those two sure have some skills.
Even though they are an official bunch, the townsfolk are not fans...
It was about time someone taught Ryunosuke to learn how to fight.
I was just surprised it turned out to be Saito.
Pretty good episode.
09-01-2012, 10:37 PM
How many times do we have to see Ryuunosuke looking like a deer in headlights when Rasetsu attack? Well, whatever. Serizawa continues to be a very odd character. We're given various reactions from the cast that indicate a grudging respect for him, but at the same time he does such dickish things that it's hard to maintain the half-and-half attitude I think we're supposed to have about him. I don't know anything about the historical character so I really have no idea where they're going with him.
09-04-2012, 03:03 PM
Ryunosuke hanging out with the only noticeable woman in this anime.
Well, at least this time we found out some of his past.
Serizawa & guys in Osaka.
He sure has no manners and is a total bully, especially when he's drunk.
That kind of behavior just made things worse back home.
Ryunosuke's will sure was tested this time.
The rasetsu testing continues.. and so do the midnight hunts as a result.
09-11-2012, 03:43 PM
Serizawa did it again. He's no more than a trug and a bully.
His action sure didn't go over well with the locals.
Looks like he's got some sort of a disease bothering him.
Seems like divine punishment.
So finally an Oni makes an appearance.
Roshigumi got a chance to protect the emperor. That's quite an honor.
Their popularity is certainly growing, so they're Shinsengumi now.
The rasetsu experiments continue. They're getting worse too.
09-15-2012, 09:14 PM
Ep 9 was pretty good, with Ryuunosuke finally getting a bit of courage to act, after being humiliated by his inability to keep his promise with Kosuzu. And Serizawa continues to be a douche. I guess the signs of illness from him are an indication he'll take the ochimizu near the end and need to be taken down. Obviously he has to leave the story somehow since he's not in the chronologically later seasons.
09-15-2012, 09:32 PM
So Serizawa knows he's going to die and so doesn't give a damn how badly he acts out in the time he has left. And we get this revelation thanks to, uhhhhhh, that oni dude from the other seasons.
The almost battle here reminded me of how different this season has been in terms of action. Hekketsuroku especially was battles battles battles, but not so much here.
And oh hey, finally they become the Shinsengumi.
09-18-2012, 03:41 PM
That fire sure did a lot of damage..
Experiments are getting even more intense now.
Seems like they're making progress too, if you can call that progress.
Who knew Serizawa actually had a gentler side..
Niimi got busted by Hijikata. Him going all rasetsu mad the fight even more interesting.
Looks like he managed to perfect the medicine, but it still took him over once he tasted blood.
09-22-2012, 08:01 PM
They're still handling Serizawa more interestingly than I expected. He's the one who enables them to stop Niimi, for one. And the fight with him is looking to be something imposed on the Shinsengumi by outside pressure, not a direct result of any of his schemes.
One more episode left. This season has been pretty good. Better than Hekketsuroku, probably better than the first too.
09-25-2012, 03:46 PM
Serizawa getting worse.
Hijikata's getting-on-Serizawa's-good-side party was an interesting tactic.
Didn't think they were bold enough to kill Serizawa.
At least the weather was well suited for it...
Guess they had enough of his bad ways.
Interesting how only Ryunosuke was on his side.
Serizawa turning rasetsu was kinda expected due to his condition and situation.
Serizawa's end was not a surprise, but Ryunosuke "leaving" kinda was...
No wonder he wasn't in the main series.
Good final episode.
09-30-2012, 12:20 AM
Maaaan, that was a really damn good ending. Blows Hekketsuroku's out of the water for damn sure. I definitely think I can say this is the best of the three seasons.
Serizawa ended up being one of the most interesting characters of the Summer season in some ways. I have to commend this series for making him a genuinely sympathetic character - it's all too easy to turn someone like him into an evil caricature. But that did not happen here at all. I was also impressed with the conclusion for Ryuunosuke. It was more straightforward, but ended up working well. It wasn't overly dramatic or idealized. He takes to heart the one good lesson he learned from Serizawa, and succeeds. Good for him.
vBulletin® v3.6.8, Copyright ©2000-2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.