Re: Episode 13
Okay I need to put my October import order in tonight. Which means this ep is make or break for whether it gets into that order. I guess if I skip it this month I could always double-up for November and get 1-2, but... I'd like to be able to decide now.
- Now there's a useful person to know: the real life network security guy for SAO.
- Kirito sucks at fishing. Too busy putting all his skill points in "invincible protagonist".
- What are the odds? I've watched two "master of the lake' fishing episodes this weekend. This and SenColle.
- Asuna's sleepwear is ridiculously hot. Sideboob!
- Oh jeeze and she looks so cute in her little dress and hood-thing the next day.
- Huh, not used to this show using this kind of comedy.
- HEY! Asuna got to do a thing by herself again!! I, um, guess a walking fish is a slight step up from low level thugs in a safe zone... maybe? I'll take what I can get, honestly. But can she take out something major and important on the front lines now? I suppose I shouldn't hold my breath.
- Back to work. Vacation is over.
- I'd normally be mad at Kirito for asking Asuna to stay out of this upcoming boss run, but this time it was presented really well. It's not just Kirito being a tough-guy protagonist protectnig the girl; it's Kirito scared shitless and on the verge of a mental breakdown. That's so much more interesting to see than cliche heroism. Asuna's reply was pretty great too. It could be taken as "I have no life outside of you, you're the only reason I matter" but that's not what I really heard from her words.
- Oh hey it took a cour, but they explicitly addressed their situation of their real world bodies. I'm glad Asuna brought that up.
- Yay it's Klein and... I can't remember the other guy's name and choose not to look it upso as to avoid spoilers. But no DEBAN-chan girls yet. ;_;
- Ewwww, ugly cg monster.
- But what the hell, the first truly good fight of the series! We actually get to see people working together, and someone other than Kirito being competent! Very very competent, actually. Klein, shop guy, Heathcliff, Kirito and Asunaaaaaaaaaaa!
Okay that episode was fantastic. Assuming Kirito doesn't just protagonist hax the boss in the next episode, the introduction of Yui and this fight could be the real turning point of the show for me.
Kirito and Asuna are still an absurdly cute couple.
Kirito's fear and hesitation in this episode made him so much more interesting and believable a character. It built on earlier scenes that had done this well too, but it's a lot more important now that he's going through those emotions with someone else.
Asuna had a great performance in his episode too, both in terms of getting to kick some ass, and in terms of really coming across as an equal to Kirito in every sense. I don't necessarily mean that she's equally powerful in-game, but certainly powerful enough to stand beside him, to work with him, to be a team. I was also really impressed with how she was the one who had her emotional shit together, so to speak, and kept Kirito focused even while she herself was just as scared as he was.
SAO tentatively makes my October order. That should ship about four weeks from now, which means SAO just needs to not piss me off and get itself cancelled between now and episode 17 or so. Bringing Yui back somehow would be a great step towards making sure the order stays in place...