11-05-2012, 10:40 PM
This User May Transform At Will
Join Date: Jul 2006
What's the future of Bandai Entertainment properties?
License rescued properties...
Former Bandai Entertainment / Bandai Visual USA properties...(grouped by probable international rights holders)
Aniplex of AmericaDiscotek Media
- Blue Submarine No. 6 (OVA) | Bandai Visual
- Gunbuster 2 (OVA) | Bandai Visual
- Jin-Roh - The Wolf Brigade (Movie) | Bandai Visual
- .hack//G.U. Trilogy (Movie) | Bandai Visual
- .hack//Legend of Twilight | Bandai Visual
- .hack//ROOTS | Bandai Visual
- .hack//SIGN | Bandai Visual
- Akira (Movie) | Bandai Visual
- Royal Space Force - Wings of Honneamise (Movie) | Bandai Visual
no North American licensor
- Jubei-Chan The Ninja Girl - Secret of the Lovely Eyepatch (Season 1) | Bandai Visual
- Super Robot Wars OG: Divine Wars | Bandai Visual
- Super Robot Wars Original Generation - The Animation (OVA) | Bandai Visual
- Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn (OVA) | SUNRISE (with North American home video distribution by RightStuf)
Originally Posted by ORIGINAL POST
How fast will we see Bandai Ent. properties getting license rescued? Akira is picked up by FUNimation. Jubei-Chan Season 1 is picked up by Media Blasters (this one probably expired for a while now though). IMO, many/most Bandai Ent. properties won't be license rescued. It will be interesting to see how things play out in 2013 and beyond.
License rescue locks (or close to it)
- 5 Centimeters Per Second - ??? Crunchyroll has the DVD license, what will happen to the distributor side?
- Mobile Suit Gundam properties - This IMO is the biggest question. The question could fall on whether if interested North American distributor is allowed to take on select Gundam properies. If the answer is a no (as in having to take on most/all of Gundam properties), we may not see Gundam license rescues any time soon.
License rescue possibilities
- Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion - Whomever gets Code Geass: Akito the Exiled OVA will likely have both S1 & 2)
- Cowboy Bebop - Bandai Ent.'s all time best selling anime
- Eureka Seven - Logic will say FUNimation since they have Eureka Seven AO
- Gurren Lagann
- K-ON! (Season 1) - Logic will say Sentai Filmworks since they have Season 2
- The Girl Who Leapt Through Time - Likely FUNimation since they have Summer Wars, Wolf Children
- The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya properties
Wild card category - Aniplex of America
- .hack properties - Could be FUNimation if .hack//Quantum did well for them. Or perhaps whomever decides to license .hack//The Movie may be interested in the previous .hack properties.
- Escaflowne - one of the best selling properties for BEI (could be in license lock category)
- My-HiME / My-Otome properties
- Outlaw Star - one of the best selling properties for BEI (could be in license lock category)
- Sola - Sentai Filmworks had accidentally licensed once when it was with BEI, would they try one more time?
- Sword of the Stranger
- The Big O
- Toward the Terra (TV) - Would TRSI be interested in this since they have the movie?
- Gurren Lagann - A possibility especially if Aniplex Japan releases a JP BD-Box in the future.
- Kannagi: Crazy Shrine Maiden - JP BD-Box was released by Aniplex Japan back in May 2012.
- Star Driver - There is the upcoming movie to think about. Aniplex Japan has BD-Box scheduled for Janaury 2013.
Last edited by WTK : 07-25-2013 at 12:48 PM.