- Everyone rushes to Inaban's aid, and Iori finally decides to get out of her funk and come as well.
- But in the meantime, Taichi and Aoki double-team one guy while, hahahah, Yui just totally manhandles the other two by herself. Fuck yeah, I was hoping that would happen. She used Taichi's "special move" too.
- Sheesh leave it to the guys to not take their dude out properly. Yui's are out cold, but the other guy has a knife to Inaba. Put that down you fucker or you'll experience a whole new world of pain.
- ...Gonna do anything, Iori, or just watch? How about calling the cops?
- Ah here she goes. A decent plan relying on a bit of luck pays off, and once again it's Yui to save the day. Fuck yeah Yui. Everyone would be rather screwed here if you weren't around.
- Now, someone please lock Setouchi in a room with Inaban for an hour or two. The girl would never come out the same. Assuming she survived. =D
- I guess I'll settle for Iori knocking her right on her ass. Haha, she meant to slap her lightly and nearly took her head off.
Well, it's the least she deserved, and now they're all good friends and so on and so forth.
- Then they all go home as the sun rises and make up and happy happy day and Taichi gets beat over the head with a lead pipe. Hey, wait a second.
- As he's out, he has a magical telepathy conversation with Iori where they decide they loved each other, but don't want that anymore. Well isn't that refreshing? An anime where the obvious couple falls in lvoe, goes through hardship, and then decides at the end, "Hey let's not do this after all." Huh.
- And then as soon as Taichi wakes up and sees Inaba next to him, he asks her out. And I think her brain implodes. Honestly, I'm okay with this. Inaban has always had better chemistry with him than Iori ever had or will have. (And Fujishima, now's your chance!!)
- Phenomenon over.
- Presentation time! Yeah that was a thing wasn't it? Presentation comes complete with maid Inaba, bunnygirl Yui, and cheongsam Iori.
- And Gossan says "well I can just do both."
- Epilogue. Dereban. =D
- Inaban and Fujishima "take care of" the things who attacked them. Poor bastards.
- All is well, but they can't let their guard down... looks like the ending teased at what I assume are characters in later novels, not that we'll ever see it animated.
And that's a wrap.
I know the novels continue, but I honestly have to question how many more you can do without ruining what the story has done a pretty good job to achieve so far. We have a romantic pairing for the protagonist. We have have closure on Iori's feelings about herself - better closure than we got from the previous arcs, I feel. We don't have Aoki and Yui going out but that's really not necessary, they'll get there eventually.
I think the story has reached the limit of what can be done in a meaningful fashion. You can't fight over the romance anymore without regressing. You can't explore Iori's personality anymore without regressing. 17 episodes in four arcs seems like it was a good length. A good place to stop, for that material.
Any future arcs would really have to be about how the phenomena affect some external
entity. Or an arc that gets to thet bottom of who Heartseed is and why this all happened. But the character relationships? They've been taken as far as the emotional manipulation devices can go.
I guess that's what new characters are for, though...
All in all, I don't regret importing this. I still don't think it was as good as it could
have been and a lot of the pacing and narrative fell short of the top tier, especially at the end of arcs. For example, Taichi was so focused on Iori for so long that no matter what, these episodes weren't going to sell his feelings for Inaban as well as I'd like, especially since Inaban is far and away my favorite character in the show.
But it's a damn solid show nonetheless, with some great voice acting, and it nails a number of really intense emotional moments too. Not a favorite, but definitely good stuff.