All ashamel's Comments

<<  <  8 9 10 11 12 >  >>

Proyas to Direct SILVER SURFER? (Article) - 7/25/2007 5:58:44 PM

That's very sad, if it's true. Proyas should be getting better projects than some dodgy Marvel spin-off.

Unspecified Title (Article) - 7/23/2007 7:41:23 AM

I enjoyed Deathly Hallows a lot. Perhaps it concentrated on Harry to the exclusion of a lot of other characters, and sometimes tripped over the sheer amount of detail it was drawing on. I wouldn't call either fatal errors. The whimsy and trauma and cleverness were there.

THE LAST LEGION Trailer (Article) - 7/17/2007 6:11:48 PM

I thought the trailer looked fun. Whether the movie is as deeply flawed as King Arthur remains to be seen, but I'll give it a go. Of course, by the time it is released here (Australia), I could probably buy the R1 DVD.

DARK IS RISING Trailer (Article) - 7/12/2007 9:38:43 PM

I haven't read the Spiderwick Chronicles. Out of Dark is Rising and the Pullman books, I'd recommend Dark is Rising. Both are great, but Pullman is more complex, so you might as well ramp up. I do think later volumes of His Dark Materials taper off in quality faster than Susan Cooper's books do. As for this trailer, it is so different from the feel of the book that it is hard to see any point to it. The setting is vastly different as well, but they might get away with that if the rest of it works. Even apart from the comparison, the movie looks more annoying than mythical. At least the Golden Compass movie looks good so far.

DARK IS RISING Trailer (Article) - 7/12/2007 4:22:19 AM

That looks really rather bad. Hard to tell, but I think it would be annoying even if I wasn't a fan of the book.

"Harry Potter" International Trailer Online (Article) - 4/24/2007 12:43:30 AM

The trailer looks great, and I also reckon OotP is one of the best books. If you want 'grown-up' fantasy, head for China Miéville, George RR Martin, Guy Gavriel Kay or KJ Bishop.

Free Twin Peaks 2! (Article) - 4/4/2007 12:58:03 AM

We also want Fire Walk With Me with all the extra footage that was supposedly shot.

Stoneâ%u20AC%u2122s Alex again (Article) - 2/27/2007 4:02:06 PM

I don't think an extra 40 minutes will manage to make Alexander coherent, but I did like the original despite its faults. This revised version tempts me. And it's good to see Inferno listed. I've seen it for sale previously, but when I tried to buy it on-line, they couldn't fill my order. Not sure what happened there.

"The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born" (Article) - 2/16/2007 7:27:04 PM

The comic was very faithful to the language and events of the books. It didn't add anything new (other than an interesting titbit in the story at the back), but I thought it was well done. I would definitely recommend the books to everyone, especially the first couple which are particularly lean and mean.

Comicscape - February 1, 2006 (Article) - 2/2/2006 8:32:16 PM

This is pretty obscure, since it's an Australian comic (but then, so is From Hell, more or less :-) but I recommend Platinum Grit. It's a funny, cruel and surreal look at some very damaged relationships, and the occasional flying castle. It's probably easier to get in the US than here (since it has trades available through Lulu), and is also online at platinumgrit.com.

ASHAMEL'S MANIACAL PERSONA