All ashamel's Comments

<<  <  1 2 3 4 5 6 >  >>

The 10 Worst Stephen King Adaptations Ever (Article) - 12/10/2011 1:53:56 PM

I was surprised Dreamcatcher wasn't #1, but you made a good case for the others. The story behind Maximum Overdrive was re-filmed in 2000, but since the only thing I remember about that is that Brenda Bakke was in it, at least MO is memorable in its own batshit way. Similarly, I think The Running Man does its own thing pretty well, even whilst ignoring the excellent source.

As for The Langoliers, my theory is that if it was half the length, it would have been great. Looks of good stuff in there, but padded and diluted into tedium.

The 13 Best Stephen King Adaptations Ever (Article) - 12/6/2011 8:21:00 PM

No love for Dolores Claiborne? That was a great adaptation (and, to an extent, expansion) of the novel. One of the few where the movie might be better.

I'd also put Cujo and Pet Semetary over the Dead Zone, which I thought was a bit weak, despite being Cronenberg. The TV show had some good bits, though.

Kingdom Hospital doesn't count (well, it was an adaptation by King of something else), but I thought a lot of it was pretty good.

DVD Shopping Bag: Harry Potter Vaulted (Article) - 11/8/2011 5:59:04 PM

I've heard that the vaulting only affects US copies of the films. Since you can buy region-free Blu-Rays from Amazon UK, this seems an even stranger decision.

For the record, I'm upgrading all my DVDs to the complete blu-ray set, and will attempt to resist temptation to upgrade further down the line.

TV Wasteland: A Grimm Outlook at NBC (Article) - 10/24/2011 5:23:15 PM

Grimm sounds like Lost Girl, the Canadian show about a Succubus private eye. I thought that was pretty good (though haven't managed to finish S1), and possibly better than the new series.

The 10 Best Horror Movie Remakes (Article) - 10/11/2011 5:28:18 PM

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Let Me In. The original is indeed better, but the remake does a pretty good job in the meanwhile. Meanwhile, I agree that the top 5 here are pretty spectacular, although after that I'm not so sure.

Harry Potter's Historic Weekend (Article) - 7/18/2011 8:28:25 PM

Regarding the son, it's pretty obvious Tonks was pregnant at the beginning of movie 7, so all the clues are there. I thought that part was neat, but still agree there was a bit too much compression and off-screen action for the last movie to have full effect. They never even explained that Harry had all three Deathly Hallows (not that the importance of that was really obvious in the book either).

Game of Thrones: Baelor (Article) - 6/13/2011 6:33:11 PM

Best episode of GoT so far.

CARRIE Revision Moving Forward (Article) - 5/21/2011 2:32:43 AM

David Lynch doing SK would be very cool.

I'd say that about David Cronenberg too, but I'm not really a fan of his Dead Zone adaptation. It was a bit underwhelming, I thought.

The 7 Toughest Movie Holy Men (Article) - 5/11/2011 3:34:12 AM

I just watched Night of the Hunter this week. It doesn't really fit in here, but the Reverend Harry Powell is a tough'un.

The Top 5 Shows That Deserve to Succeed (Article) - 5/4/2011 6:06:24 AM

Nikita is the one I watch out of this lot (also Dr Who and Game of Thrones), so here's hoping.

ASHAMEL'S MANIACAL PERSONA