All buzzkill's Comments

Unspecified Title (Article) - 7/5/2009 9:40:32 AM

So, essentially, this exercise simply confirms what was already obvious from viewing "Bloodline" - that this Nic Haywood character is nothing more than an opportunist who's read the same silly genre books we've all read.  And, as usual, all roads (or should that be "Rhodes"?) lead to Watkins Books.  I don't think I'd need three guesses to properly identify Haywood's correspondent in this e-mail exchange.  Are his initials "R.H." by any chance?

Unspecified Title (Article) - 6/6/2009 8:03:20 AM

I have to admit, I laugh loudly every time I think of how many gullible people, for so many years, have poured over the mundane decoration in Saunière's church, finding "clues" in the most ordinary details, when in fact it was the Asmodeus image under the baptismal font that held the only clue.  Figures that it would be the one piece that didn't quite fit with the rest.

Adiós, Mary Magdalene.  Nice knowin' ya.  Good luck with that romance novel thing.

Interestingly enough, this Chartres rendition of the Book of Tobit mentions a chirograph, in this context, a contract that had been cut into two halves, the two signatories each retaining one half. The complete contents are only revealed when the two halves are put back together.  So here we have two documents - the medieval manuscript and the 20th century "ecclesiastic's" commentary - the latter serving as a cipher.  It has all the buzzwords from Marie de Negre's tombstone, talks about a king's hidden treasure - this definitely looks like a map of sorts, but not to an ancient treasure.  This treasure appears to be left intentionally for someone to locate by using this cipher.  Saunière would seem to be the one who hid it, not the one who found it.  Assuming, of course, that Saunière is the "ecclesiastic" who devised the commentary.

Unspecified Title (Article) - 5/22/2009 5:39:42 PM

I don't believe anyone could have made a great film out of this book.  Maybe a passable TV miniseries.  The sets were pretty amazing though.  Hopefully Opie and Grazer will be "unavailable" for The Lost Symbol.  It'd be kinda cool to see what Tarantino could do with it!

Unspecified Title (Article) - 4/18/2009 9:55:43 PM

I can think of a couple of Yanks who should get themselves to London for the Summer Solstice - S., are you game?

Unspecified Title (Article) - 3/14/2009 10:04:30 AM

Professor, you have saved me the time, expense, and damage to my intestinal tract that surely would have followed had I given in to temptation and bought the cheapest used copy I could find.  Still, it would be fun to do a running count of how many times "Big K" refers to her self-inspired protagonist as "uncommonly petite" - is Maureen Paschal still teetering around the Pyrennees in Manolo Blahniks, or has she finally discovered Jimmy Choo?  "Brother Timothy" indeed - if only one had an axe...

Unspecified Title (Article) - 2/21/2009 8:59:06 AM

And the mice no longer had to strike suggestive poses, the squirrels finally stopped smoking, the Orange Blossom Special stopped its daily runs to Florence, and all the denizens of the tiny, horrifically incestuous, often disagreeable, yet really lovely mountain village lived happily ever after.

Unspecified Title (Article) - 2/7/2009 8:28:46 AM

This is a great review, Professor - very succinctly put.  Really looking forward to reading the book now.  Also caught the ref to "The Expectorant Two" coming off the griddle (more like falling off the trash truck, IMHO), though that's one I'll probably skip as "The Expectorant One" was a waste of time and money.  Laughing heartily...

Unspecified Title (Article) - 1/31/2009 10:17:17 AM

"The Truth Shall Set You Free" AND Manolo Blahniks?  Reminds me of another bad Kathleen McGowan sequel.  I hope for her sake there are more Templar-themed books coming out soon, or she'll be forced to start writing original material if she wants to keep selling her romance novels.

Unspecified Title (Article) - 1/11/2009 8:46:54 AM

So...if the sun rises on the morning of 22 December 2012 and the world isn't a charred ruin, do we start back at the beginning of the Mayan calendar, or do we count backwards from the end?

buzzkill (Profile) - 1/11/2009 8:44:03 AM

So...if the sun rises on the morning of 22 December 2012 and the world isn't a charred ruin, do we start back at the beginning of the Mayan calendar, or do we reverse directions and start counting  backwards from the end?

BUZZKILL'S MANIACAL PERSONA