Directors circling X-MEN: FIRST CLASS (Mania.com)
By:Rob M. Worley
Date: Monday, May 03, 2010
Directors circling 'X-Men: First Class'. Plus: 'Batman 3' gets a release date! 'Walking Dead' gets its leading lady! 'Iron Man 2' gets more buzz. More! Putting the blame on VCR, it's your Comics2Film 10.5.3!
Box Office: LOSERS and KICK-ASS Fall
According to Mania's box office report our two current C2Fs suffered the expected fall in the face of two newly-opened movies: 'A Nightmare on Elm Street' and 'Furry Vengeance'.
'The Losers' collected another $6 million bringin the two-week tally up to $18.1 million. I dropped just two spots to #5.
'Kick-Ass' gathered less than $4.5 million, falling three spots (losing ground to 'Clash of the Titans'). It has collected $42.1 million during its run.
WALKING DEAD Girl
Michael Ausiello at EW.com reports that actress Sarah Wayne Callies has been cast in AMC's adaptation of Robert Kirkman's comic 'The Walking Dead'. Callies will play Lori Grimes, the female lead in the series.
Callies recently appeared as a patient on 'House' where she played a woman in an open marriage. However, she's best known as the doctor/love-interest in the absurdly entertaining 'Prison Break' (where she was decapitated and then recapitated).
Frank Darabont is developing the show for AMC.
IRON MAN 2 Quick Hits
- If you were one of the fans from the Detroit area who entered our 'Iron Man 2' ticket giveaway, check out the results page to see if you've won!
- While fans in the U.S. await the arrival of 'Iron Man 2' this week, moviegoers in international markets have already made the movie #1 in all but one country, ringing up ticket sales in excess of $100 million, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
- If you're aiming to see the movie on the IMAX screen, Superhero Hype has a listing of theaters that are hosting the mega-version of the movie for a limited engagement.
- Over at Ain't it Cool they've turned in an in-depth critique of the 'Iron Man 2' movie score.
- 'Iron Man 2' saw an uptick in its critical score on Rotten Tomatoes since Friday. It now ranks 76% positive with 49 reviews counted.
- Finally, an geektastic new SPOILER has turned up on YouTube. We won't tell you what's revealed, but click through if you must know. And please be courteous with SPOILER WARNINGS is you discuss it in the comments below.
- Thanks to AntoBlueberry for the submission.
Hank Azaria as Gargamel from THE SMURFS
C2F Quick Hits
- Gargamel fever runs wild! ComingSoon.net has the first photos of actor Hank Azaria in full costume and makeup as Gargamel in 'The Smurfs'.
- Heat Vision confirms that Warner Bros has pegged July 20, 2012 as the release date for 'Batman 3'. According to the report, David Goyer is currently working with Christopher Nolan on the story.
- UGO floats a rumor that Tommy Lee Jones will appear in the 'Captain America' movie.
- MTV Movies Blog has a one-on-one interview with producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura about 'G.I.Joe 2'. The producer says they haven't started on the script yet, but plans are to start filming next spring and get the movie out in 2012.
- Actor Josh Brolin talks with MTV Splash Page about the tone of 'Jonah Hex'. "My feeling is, this isn't a straightforward Western. There are supernatural elements to it, and the more campy humor we go for, the better. We're still in the process of solidifying that tone." Fans saw the first trailer for the film last week.
- Thanks to AntoBlueberry and xenomorph for the submission.
Directors Circling X-MEN: FIRST CLASS
The big news from the weekend is that the short list of directors circling the franchise freshener 'X-Men: First Class' has been revealed.
According to Deadline.com prime director candidates for Fox's "young mutants" film include Samuel Bayer ('A Nightmare On Elm Street') Timur Bekmambetov ('Wanted'), Louis Leterrier ('Clash of the Titans'), David Slade ('30 Days of Night') , Daniel Espinosa (the buzzed about foreign film 'Snabba Cash') and Carl Erick Rinsch (who made waves with his online short 'The Gift').
Apparently 20th Century Fox already made an offer to 'Kick-Ass' director Matthew Vaughn, who had previously signed to direct 'X-Men: The Last Stand' before bailing out and ceding the job to Brett Ratner. However Vaughn passed.
Deadline says Fox will hire its director in the next week or so. Producing the film are Lauren Shuler Donner, Bryan Singer and Simon Kinberg.
What do you think, Maniacs? Which of the above directors would you have rebooting the X-MEN franchise? If "none of the above" then who? Post your comments below...
Thanks to AntoBlueberry for the submission.
Series: Kick-Ass, Iron Man 2, Captain America: The First Avenger, Captain America: The First Avenger, Jonah Hex, Losers, The, Walking Dead, The Dark Knight Rises (Batman 3), X-Men: First Class, Smurfs, Iron Man 2, Kick-Ass, G.I.Joe 2