Foster finally talks HANNIBAL controversy (Mania.com)

By:Christopher Allan Smith
Date: Thursday, February 07, 2002
Source: Premiere

It seems Jodie Foster is finally talking about the controversy surrounding her decision not to reprise the role of Clarice Starling in last year's SILENCE OF THE LAMBS sequel, HANNIBAL. You might remember HANNIBAL producer Dino De Laurentiis bad-mouthing Foster after her decision to pass on the role (rumors had her unhappy with Starling's evolution) with this little love sonnet, "Jodie Foster needed HANNIBAL more than we needed her... As an audience, I see Julianne Moore [who took on the Starling role] and 'Oh, I want to go to bed with her.' I see Jodie Foster, 'No way.'"



In the latest issue of PREMIERE, Foster discussed the movie and her decision with, "There's been so much weird blood about the film. I wanted them to make their movie. I paid $7.50 to see it and you know, go with God. None of us [Foster, LAMBS director Jonathan Demme and writer Ted Tally) really commented on their parade, and no matter how much De Laurentiis commented on my parade, I wasn't going to start talking about him in the press."



About Starling, Foster said, "It's hard to come up with a character that would be Clarice 10 years later... The book was clear about who she had become, but I'm not sure I agreed with it. It's certainly Thomas Harris' invention, but oh, I shouldn't go into this."



If you recall, the novel HANNIBAL had Starling brainwashed by Dr. Hannibal Lecter, and ended with the two having a romance in Argentina.



"SILENCE is from the point of view of somebody whose whole identity and destiny is about saving people," Foster said. "HANNIBAL is about decadence and how our society has descended to the point where everything is about greed and avarice and lust, and that there are no pure heroes anymore."