All deadcowboy138's Comments

5 Characters You'd Want to Have a Drink With (Article) - 3/18/2011 9:00:38 AM

Word count limits, Maniacs.  I can give you five good examples or ten very short ones.

5 Characters Dragged Kicking and Screaming Back to School (Article) - 1/4/2011 2:35:58 PM

@millean:

That's an editorial decision.  The list articles just do well, statistically speaking, so editorial offers titles to us and we pick and choose from them.  I grabbed this because I wanted to do a piece and I knew I could come up with something.

5 Characters Dragged Kicking and Screaming Back to School (Article) - 1/4/2011 9:57:18 AM

Kurt here.

Yeah, I'm a little ashamed of this one.  Banging out what amounts to five story pitches in a row isn't as easy as it sounds.  That's no excuse, though.  Pile it on.

Captain America Movie Cameos We'd Like to See (Article) - 12/4/2010 3:24:08 PM

Remember the quick Punisher cameo in Spider-Man 2?  Maybe something cool like that for Wolverine.

5 Creature Features That Make You Think (Article) - 11/14/2010 1:25:29 PM

Kurt here.

1. Yes, I should've included Alien.  It's one of my favorite movies.  I don't remember why I did it, except maybe I didn't want to unintentionally invoke Alien vs. Predator.  But, we have a word limit here and have to keep it short and punchy.  But, in retrospect, I should've added it.

2. By putting Gojia at #2, I was ranking it higher than Predator.  It's overall a more relevant film.  If a song does really well on Billboard, we don't call it the "#100 hit."  Come on, guys.

3. I'm bummed about Dino de Laurentiis dying, too.  He produced some of my favorite genre films.  Rest in peace, you crazy, loveable bastard.  You made Conan one of my heroes as a kid.

Grant Morrison Forever (Article) - 4/14/2010 7:56:10 PM

Jesus Christ, thank you Chad.

Kurt here, from the No-Fly Zone.  Grant Morrison's run on New X-Men was brilliant.  Joss Whedon undid it with Astonishing X-Men (though Marvel editorial is certainly to blame as well).  Morrison wrote something brilliant, and then Marvel and Whedon trotted out the whole "We're bringing back old school X-Men!  These are the mutants you grew up with!"  That's the same goddamn nostalgia train that has kept superhero comics in a rut for years and makes movies like Transformers 2 succesful.  I wish--I really wish--f-cking geeks would at least allow guys like Morrison to take these beloved icons and rework them and make them interesting again.  Case in point: IDW's new G.I. Joe books are way better than they have any right to be.  When Chuck Dixon, Larry Hama, and Christos Gage took on the line a years ago, they stripped out the cartoon BS and maintained a good balance between the harsh realities of combat and the fantasy military aesthetic that made everyone like Joe when they were kids.  Morrison did the same sort of revamping with the X-Men (but better, to be honest).  When I was writing Comicscape (back in my day, damn kids), I praised Morrison's run, and the legion of X-fanboys would jump on me for how he "raped their childhood" or whatever because it didn't look exactly like Claremont's run or the goddamn cartoon from Fox in the '90s (which was actually pretty good, as far as kids' shows go).

Seriously, people that want a nostalgia trip are holding back comics and especially superheroes.  They are the reason that Marvel has to reset Daredevil to Frank Miller every few years (look, the Kingpin's back!)--or X-Men to Chris Claremont, or Spider-Man to Stan Lee and Steve Ditko.  It's the same old shit, over and over again, to keep a bunch of people happy that can't let go of the comics they read as kids.  Our toys don't have to go back in the closet, but they should be allowed to grow up with us--not make us miss childhood until we're dead.

Comics You May Have Missed: Johnny Cash: I See a Darkness (Article) - 3/11/2010 12:45:31 PM

Jeez, do I have to beat up on superheroes to get some love, guys?

K

Keith DeCandido on Licensed Comics (Article) - 3/5/2010 12:41:55 PM

It was a joke.

Keith DeCandido on Licensed Comics (Article) - 3/4/2010 3:09:49 PM

He responded to my joke about race-baiting by Picard pretty amicably, so yeah, it was fun.

Keith DeCandido on Licensed Comics (Article) - 3/4/2010 9:02:51 AM

Kurt here.  It was a fun interview, and it was much more playful than argumentative, though it looks like we were on each other's nerves without the smiley emoticons.  He alerted me to a few angles I hadn't considered, and I got to get in my own digs.  Thanks for introducing us.

DEADCOWBOY138'S MANIACAL PERSONA