All deadcowboy138's Comments

<<  <  1 2 3 4 5 >  >>

Flying Over HAUNT (Article) - 2/25/2010 9:26:26 AM

Kurt here.  I'm going to continue reading.  It has the kinetic, balls-out quality of so many '90s Image books, minus the wretched dialogue.  Those books were great fun when we were kids.  Hell, I thought Youngblood was amazing back then.  Most of them haven't held up, though.  It's nice to see that Haunt can invoke that era without, you know, sucking.  I'm still on board.  I just wish it was something more than just solid.

Comics After Losing a Laptop (Article) - 2/18/2010 8:43:38 AM

It was a Windows XP security upgrade.  It didn't affect everyone, but a lot of people got it.  If you updated Windows automatically and are still running XP, you might've downloaded it.  A friend of mine can get the data off of the hard drive without too much difficulty, but I'm kind of computer dependent with the comic and writing work (although as late as this week's NFZ is, you wouldn't think so).  Going a few days without a computer means a lot of lost time.  I probably exaggerated a little bit when I described it as a brick, but getting it back would've meant first getting a new internal drive, then finding an actual XP disc, and then going through several steps to get it back into shape--all for a six year old laptop that I'd been meaning to replace once Dead Souls #3 was finished.  Still, the whole experience was a bit of a wakeup, as Kara explained, to how quickly things can change.

Comics After Losing a Laptop (Article) - 2/15/2010 10:26:41 PM

That's helpful, actually, that he's done other stuff.  I'll get in touch with him again.

Comics After Losing a Laptop (Article) - 2/15/2010 9:12:06 AM

Well, thing is I don't know a lot about Farscape.  I don't know anything, truth be told.  I talked to the writer of the comic, and all I could come up with was doing an interview about adapting comics from other mediums in general, using his experience with Farscape as an example.  Want me to go through with that?

Comics After Losing a Laptop (Article) - 2/14/2010 2:33:21 PM

Kurt here.

1.) Most mainstream superhero comics (Marvel and DC) aren't going to be a given writer's best work.  They're working under constraints imposed by editors, continuity, and corporate backers.  If a writer has The Best Wolverine Story Ever, it still has to clear a gauntlet of restrictions that will, almost inevitably, whittle the story down to something less than the writer wants.  As I said, I read Wolverine every month (three titles, as a matter of fact) because I like the character and I like the genre tropes.  It's brain candy.  I accept that, just like if I see a Big Summer Movie, what I'm going to see is operating within certain narrative boundaries imposed by outside interests (though comics have it way easier than movies do).  Most of the time, that keeps me away from stuff like that.  In the case of Wolverine (or Batman, or Punisher, all of which I read), they were what I liked when I was a kid and they give me a whiff of nostalgia.  There's nothing wrong with that in moderation, but the industry has milked that tit dry for years now at the expense of better comics.  And, as I've said before, I'm well aware that I (or if you want, we) as fans contribute to the industry's problems.  I look in the mirror all the time on this one.

2.) Well, yeah.  That doesn't mean we shouldn't ask every work of art to be stellar.  Every work fails to one degree or another.  It's just a question of how much.  We shouldn't just allow art to suck en masse because, statistically, most of it will.  That's inevitable.  Allowing it to be bad without repercussions (in this case, registering one's displeasure on the internet) just means it gets worse.

3.)  I do encourage people to read other stuff, but I'll cop that I sometimes fall back on "superheroes suck" when I'm dry for ideas.  I should probably just review something from Avatar or Image (their off-beat stuff, not their superheroes) if I'm stuck for column topics, but sometimes regular life gets in the way (in this case, having to buy and set up a new computer late into the evening) and I fall back into my comfort zone.  Mea culpa.

In that spirit, next week we're going to look back on the first five issues of Haunt, because the first arc finally wrapped.  It's not really a superhero book, and Robert Kirkman and Todd McFarlane are two of the great success stories of American independent comics.  Look for it later this week.  Happy Valentine's Day, everyone.

Frankencastle: Rebuilding THE PUNISHER (Article) - 1/14/2010 11:57:51 AM

God help me, but I kind of liked G.I. Joe.  Steven Sommers, for all his faults, knows that he basically directs live-action cartoons.  And, while there was plenty to complain about  in the film, it got more right than it did wrong.  Channing Tatum actually reminded me some of the guys I served with in the Marines--just kind of a straight-up Southern boy, which is accurate but rarely portrayed in pop cinema.  It was cheesey as hell, but it had the right balance of silly and serious to keep it fun.   Nobody pissed on anyone.  No one's mom ate pot brownies.  That's all I ask.

Frankencastle: Rebuilding THE PUNISHER (Article) - 1/13/2010 11:49:08 PM

Hey guys, Kurt here.  Yes, No-Fly Zone Kurt.

Check this out.  I like Marvel horror a lot.  I love the Legion of Monsters.  I also love the Punisher.  He's one of the few superheroes (if you want to call him that) that I still bother to read.  The Frankencastle story kind of reminds me of the peanut butter and bacon burger this bar in the French Quarter serves.  Effectively, it takes three awesome foods--beef, peanut butter, and bacon--and puts them together.  On paper, this sounds painfully revolting.  But, I gotta tell you it's awesome.  It's like eating the best sex you've ever had.  Similarly, Frankencastle has all the makings of utter garbage.  But, it throws together a couple of pieces of Marveldom that I still like and makes them work somehow.  And, if you don't like it, just realize that it'll be over and the title will go back to the status quo in a year or so.  This isn't permenant, because it's not the version of the Punisher they sell in licensed media.  You will see the regular Frank Castle back.  Right now, enjoy the trip out to left field for what it is, and keep reading PunisherMax for the more traditional take.

2009 Breakdown! (Article) - 12/31/2009 11:56:13 AM

Here we go with the army of Watchmen apologists ganging up on another internet columnist.  Just because a film adapts a comic book in painstaking detail doesn't mean it's actually any good.  At the end of the day, the film is a noble failure.  Some of the elements from the comic translated very well, and others simply fell flat.  But, there was no way it wasn't going to get made, one way or another, and it certainly could've been worse.  But, at the end of the day Watchmen is a comic about comics.  It's not a blueprint for a film.  The only reason it got made was that everyone seems to think that a work of art (in any medium) isn't somehow fully realized until it's made into a movie.

Comics on Sale December 2nd (Article) - 12/2/2009 1:56:51 PM

We at the No-Fly Zone are laughing at your superhero shenanigans.  Laughing, I tell you.

6 Rock Stars Turned Comic Writers (Article) - 8/20/2009 11:20:42 PM

Well, Spookshow International is kind of hard to find because CrossGen died and MVCreations hasn't done anything in a while.  They were never, to my knowledge, collected in trade paperback.  They're kind of expensive on E-Bay because Zombie wrote them, but they're really not that great.  Honestly, you're better off reading his collaborations with Niles--Bigfoot and The Nail.  Both of those are really good and should be easy enough to track down.

DEADCOWBOY138'S MANIACAL PERSONA