All doggydaddy's Comments

Unspecified Title (Article) - 3/14/2009 7:33:00 AM

Just finished re-reading my TPB of SUPREME when Alan Moore took it over for a while. Inside was a great story of Supreme ging to a mysterious valley filled with many, many different worlds within the valley, ruled by someone named 'The King'. Yeah, you can see where that story went and it was fun.

For me, I love to brag that I found and own one of his more obscure works for Disney!!! He did a weekly Sunday Treasury retelling of 'The Black Hole'. Found it in a art store in S.F., but the style was unmistakeable with forced perspective of the hands reaching forward, but the black hole was all done with....Kirby dots. Too cool.

mark

Unspecified Title (Article) - 2/27/2009 3:55:18 PM

A spot on review of a new direction for the Batman. I had to freeze and stop the preview just to stare at and appreciate the way the Joker looked. You are correct in mentioning Dick Sprang and Alex Toth, but it is obvious that Sprang's style is the basis for the character designs.

This is a great return to the 60's and it isn't done in a camp way, but a return to a time when Brave and Bold was originally concieved and a popular comic. Brave and Bold was a way for DC to introduce or play up underused characters. Things were more innocent., and this series demonstrates that this is one of many Batmans that have been around throughout the decades. Love that Batmobile...

Smart stuff that would not be created if it wasn't for the success of JLU. DC has been very good at throwing things at the wall and us, and they actually stick.

New Toy Reveals CLOVERFIELD Monster (Article) - 2/16/2008 10:30:12 AM

I think that this is based on the 'Rat/ bat/ spider' from Red Planet Mars. Never saw the film, but this guy sure looks like it would fit the bill. I pay more for my Godzilla figures from Japan, and they don't do anything. Paitience will be a virtue here as they will go for half price at KB stores mark

Unspecified Title (Article) - 1/20/2008 4:08:26 PM

The only thing this film has really in common with Blair Witch is the 'shaky cam'. One film that that Cloverfield reminds me of is the original Howard Hawks classic, The Thing (From Another Planet). That film did not show much of the saucer except for the tip of it. James Arness as the creature was never really seen until the end and barely at that. Most of the film is about what the characters are doing in between seeing bits and pieces of the monster. Times changed and John Carpenter's version showed a hell of a lot. I like both films for what they did. The Godzilla allusions for me are great as I am an old school G-fan with a video and DVD collection of all of the Toho classics. Frankly, I was looking for a Godzilla figure to be placed in a far corner of the apartment during the party scenes. I knew that there was something that I was supposed to be watching out for at the end of the film. Seems like I missed what it was until I went to Wikipedia. As it was, I sat through the whole ending credits and going "Huh?" I won't go into spoilers here but for those who care, watch carefully at the remaining piece of tape at Coney Island. This monster is very much like Orgah in design, and possibly origin. The parasites are sort of like the meganurons in G.vs Megaguirus. These same parasites do remind me of critters from another great series of films. J.J. Abrams has said of his love of Godzilla films and if his Star Trek film is succesful, I hope he takes a stab at Godzilla vs our Cloverfield beast.

Cloverfield Manga: Last Minute Hype (Article) - 1/17/2008 6:52:50 AM

One complaint seems to be the short running time of this film. This film is like the original Gojira by virtue of the fact that the Japanese version was about 92 minutes. The American version was 82 minutes. Heck, most old school creature feature favorites only took that amount of time to be told. Seems like a good story can be told pretty quickly. Of course, I suspect that there will be an extended version when it comes out on DVD. I do like how there are clinging parasites much like the original film along with the ones featured in Godzilla 85. There have been some comments as to this film's 9-11 influence and that is still small potatoes to Gojira's reflection of the aftermath of Hiroshima. Is it too soon to hope for a Godzilla vs Cloverfield monster match..?

Director Leterrier Talks INCREDIBLE HULK (Article) - 11/29/2007 3:40:10 AM

I liked Ang Lee's film. The Hulk is one of Marvel's most maleable icons. He has been used for so many scenerios and presented with so many personalities that it is very difficult for us to come to a consensus as to how he should be portrayed. This story is prefaced with a picture from a 'what if' story. I think there was a dictator Hulk in another story. Strange that even this site doesn't show a photo of a version of him as we have know he looks. Personally, I liked Joe Fixit... Currently, he is a space traveling Spartacus with a madon against the world's heroes. This story is the Hulk's big story event of the year and even here, the fans aren't impressed. But even so, if a casual reader of comics saw this story and bought it, they would have to accept this storyas it is without knowledge of the complete backstory of this tale. I do not know what that was, but I did read the main series and accepted what I read. I have no clue who the Sentry is, but I had to accept this character as much as whatever it was that Nick Nolte became..... the Absorbing Man. Truth be told, The Hulk has been presented in so many ways and personalities that I defy anyone here to tell me what the true Hulk is? Grey or green? Verbal or mute? Brutal or intelligent. Does he live like a beast in the woods or in sensual luxury? Just how big is he? Can someone tell me what Hulk are we going to see this time? Is there a story(TPB) that this film will base itself upon? A I said in the beginning, I liked Lee's film. I do agree with folks who have problems with the conclusion. Yet at the same time, when I see Nolte try to induce rage opposite Bana/Banner on that stage improvising the script, I go through feelings of amazement to laughing outright at how over the top Nolte went. The dogfight sequence worked for me too. Of the three dogs, there were the obvious choices of what would work and I am among many who know about Killer Poodles... Those suckers are viscious.

Unspecified Title (Article) - 11/4/2007 4:39:29 PM

I am putting my money down as this film being a tribute to Godzilla. The Cthlulu mythos is possible, but not as appealing to mainstream audiences...or executives. There have been rumors of it being some sort of giant whale. I think that there may be something possible here. What could happen is a G-tribute and they went for a Whale-Ape, just a what Godzilla's name means. The sequel will have it taking on a giant flying snapping turtle in Louisiana...

DOGGYDADDY'S MANIACAL PERSONA