All fenngibbon's Comments

The Winter of '84: Starman (Article) - 12/16/2014 2:33:40 PM

The "red stop, green go, yellow go very fast" gag is a joke I still make.

The Winter of '84: Dune (Article) - 12/15/2014 12:09:10 AM

I confess that the movie is a bit wordy in spots, but I'm not getting why it's a bad or laughable movie.

The Winter of '84: 2010: The Year We Make Contact (Article) - 12/10/2014 4:14:07 PM

I wish they could have gotten the actor who played Heywood Floyd in 2001 to reprise the role in 2010.  No disrespet to Roy Schneider; it just would have been a nice bit of continuity.

I read the book a long time ago, and I don't recall any of the Cold War drama that is in the movie and is what makes the movie seem dated.  As with PanAm (which appears in a commercial), the filmmakers couldn't have known that the Soviet Union would cease to exist (7 years after the movie came out and 19 years before 2010), but drawing attention to it with a subplot about a potential nuclear war resulting from a conflict over Central America that screams 1980's wasn't needed.  I would have preferred that they drop that and included some more of the Bowman POV stuff from the book.

Cliff Curtis Cast In Walking Dead Spin Off (Article) - 12/6/2014 9:53:48 AM

So what's the plot?  Just a different group of people on the move and trying to avoid zombies?

CASTLE: Once Upon A Time In the West Review (Article) - 11/19/2014 7:19:04 AM

I could go the rest of the series without knowing what happened to Castle.  Frankly, the overarching plots (like Sen. Bracken) are the least entertaining parts of the show.

DOCTOR WHO CHRISTMAS SPECIAL TEASER (Article) - 11/8/2014 11:32:14 PM

I came here to eat candy canes and kick butt, and I'm all out of candy canes!

Interstellar: Building A Black Hole (Article) - 10/25/2014 8:21:42 AM

I find myself indifferent to this movie.  I'll probably watch it when it gets to TV, but, otherwise, meh.

Mania Review: John Wick (Article) - 10/25/2014 8:18:05 AM

"Mr. Wick firmly believes in putting one in the brain."

Hey, a bullet in the brain does the job and it makes sure they won't come back as a zombie.  It's a twofer!

31 Days of Halloween: Mad Monster Party (Article) - 10/23/2014 11:46:03 PM

It's one of my favorite movies, and it's a pity it doesn't get the same attention as Rudolph or Frosty.

31 Days of Horror: Mark of the Vampire (Article) - 10/8/2014 10:12:56 AM

I think at one point, when he learned he was supposed to be an actor pretending to be a vampire, Lugosi supposedly suggested that maybe the character be a vampire pretending to be an actor playing a vampire.

FENNGIBBON'S MANIACAL PERSONA