3 Comments | Add
Rate & Share:
First Look: Top Gun
Great Balls of Rocket Fire.
By Joe Oesterle
May 06, 2009
Mania's First Look thoughts at Paramount Digital's TOP GUN(2009).
© Mania.com/Robert Trate
So there you are, zipping through the friendly skies in your hypersonic F-22 Raptor, when all of the sudden, “Great balls of fire,” you’ve got bogeys all over your ass, and they’ve got their missiles locked on you. Looks like there’s only one thing to do hot shot; go completely maverick.
Luckily for you Maverick is one of your Fighter Weapons School instructors. The other goes by the name, Iceman. So if you have the need for speed, and you think you’re among the elite 1% of all Naval aviators, then welcome to the new arcade-style game created by Paramount Digital Entertainment for the iPhone and the iPod Touch - Top Gun.
Games Producer, Michael Paglioni explains, “We’re pretty excited about this game. I feel Top Gun is closer to a console game than you typically get on iPhone or iPod Touch. The learning curve is gradual, and it’s a fun game for casual and hard core gamers alike…and if you’ve ever played a wii game, you’ll figure out how to maneuver around pretty quick.”
“The game contains 10 missions of solid gameplay.” Paglioni continued, “The storyline is basically Maverick and Iceman are now the seasoned veteran instructors, and you’re the new rebel pilot going through the academy. Of course Maverick kind of encourages your rebellious instincts while Iceman is constantly warning you to take care of your wingman.”
A nice new feature for this platform is the calibration tool. Paglioni said his team realized while some gamers sit down in a traditional way, others like to play upside down in bed, while still others needed to play under the table during dinner. The calibration tool takes care of whichever position you’re comfortable playing.
The game features five new songs from the New York based band, Paper and Sand, but of course it’s not really Top Gun until you hear the Kenny Loggins’ anthem to 1980’s flyboys everywhere, Danger Zone.
So get it on the red line overload, you’ll never know what you can do until you get it as high up as you can go – where you burn to be.
Top Gun - Bare-chested all-male volleyball game not included.
- Strap Yourself In - With Maverick and Iceman’s instruction, navigate the “Danger Zone” while engaging and obliterating enemy bogeys in the most action-packed jet shooter game for the iPhone and iPod touch to-date.
- Avoid the “Danger Zone“ – Incoming air-to-air and surface-to-air missiles as well as aerial and ground-based obstacles create multiple “Danger Zones“ that must be avoided. Flirt with the edge to rack up more points!
- Torch Your Enemies – Steer the fighter jet using the accelerometer to find enemies, draw a lock on to them and take them out.
- Push Your Weapons to the Limit – Strafe enemy ground emplacements with the F-22’s Vulcan cannons or take out MiGs with target-locking anti-aircraft missiles.
- Become the Best of the Best – Fly through 15 missions in a variety of environments, including oceans, deserts, canyons and city centers during the day or night.
- Earn Medals and Achievements – See who the real Top Gun is by earning medals and achievements while progressing through the game.
- Assign Your Own Handle – Create any moniker you like: Maverick, Iceman, Goose, etc.
- Blast to the Beat – Fly and battle to “Danger Zone” and other hard-hitting tracks
- Request a Flyby At Any Time – Top Gun features internal clock triggers, including a real-time day/night cycle.
- It's Classified – Top Gun features unlockable content and Easter eggs.
Publisher: Paramount Digital Entertainment Developer: Freeverse
Platforms: iPhone and iPod touch Release Date: May 7
ESRB: E 10+