All flyinroo's Comments

Clifton Collins Jr. to Pacific Rim (Article) - 8/24/2011 3:23:09 PM

I am definitely up for this one so far. The trailer may change my mind, but at least it sounds great. I really like GDT...Pan's Labyrinth was superb. I also loved the Hellboy movies. Blade 2 was ok at best, but the look of the vamps in that one was pretty cool. He has a great eye that makes his work stand out. I look forward to seeing his vision of the future and what these Giant Creatures will look like. I'm already in line for tickets.

8 Tiny Threats (Article) - 8/24/2011 5:15:58 AM

You got it Looney....The Trilogy of Terror doll scared the hell out of me when I was a kid and it would be my number one pick on this list.

SUPERMAN Plot Concept Online (Article) - 8/18/2011 10:56:37 AM

I have never cared for Superman in the comics. I enjoyed the first 2 Reeve versions, and I actually enjoyed Superman Returns. I like the angst. He may not be human, but he's not a robot either. I understand that he has a long history in the comics that fans love, and that his greatest "angst" is being alone. I think that is the biggest reason that I don't care much for Superman. I think it is a good idea to start him off with issues. Let him evolve into the Superman that you all know and love, because I don't buy into him simply being raised with these values in addition to the overwhelming super powers and simply reaching adulthood and being this wonderfully adjusted, "I am Superman" personality. He may not be human, but he was raised as one. And everything I have seen about him would show he is as close to human as an alien can be apart from the powers. So to go out into this world with those powers and an ingrained sense of morality would cause a great deal of "angst". Superman only deals with these huge world-ending events, lets see him deal with a child molester. I'm sorry, but I would pull the guy's arms off (and other parts of his body as well). So I think there is more to his decision-making than meets the eye. And I think that when he is faced with another person from his homeworld coming in and threatening the entire planet, THAT is what makes him become more than a vigilante ripping apart rapists and child molesters. Its what makes him more than a superbeing who would control the planet as a means to protect it from itself. I want to see him deal with this threat and BECOME Superman.

That being said, I understand that does not follow the comics, and I can see why true fans would not like it. So for that, I do agree with those of you who have invested so much more time into this character than I have. In the end I simply hope that this is a good movie and fun to watch.

Mania Review: Fright Night (Article) - 8/18/2011 10:26:44 AM

Here's how I feel about remakes...

At my heart, when I read about another movie from my past that I loved, is being remade, I hate it. It makes me angry that Hollywood has so little originality that have to tinker with the films that I have so enjoyed. Then I ponder the notion and consider that ultimately, it doesn't really matter. If the movie turns out good, then we have won a new movie to enjoy. If it is terrible (like most seem to be), then we can go back and watch the original and love it all the more. So what I think is at the center of the remake hatred is this: By remaking a film that we loved, we are almost compelled to see it, knowing it will likely suck, but hoping that it will rock. So in a way we are forced into seeing a movie that we really really want to be good and rekindle those old feelings, but in the end we are usually left with a very hollow experience and the resentment that we were manipulated by the Hollwood forces-that-be to waste our time and spend our money on something that we probably would not have seen.

Having said that, Fright Night is one of my favorite vampire movies, so I am not too thrilled about this one. It looks ok, though, and I might check it out. I have a friend that is trying to get to go watch Conan with him, he has even offered to pay, and because the movie looks absolutely horrible to me, I still may turn him down. Crap, whether it is free or not, is still crap.

Latest IMMORTALS Trailer Online (Article) - 8/17/2011 10:02:48 PM

This is the first trailer to actually make me interested in watching this movie. The previous trailers looked very bland to me, but this got my attention. So I am hoping it turns out to be as good as this looks.

APES Win Second Victory (Article) - 8/14/2011 10:48:12 PM

Now that there are no movies left coming out that I want to see this summer, I'd sum it all up like this:

1. Rise of the Planet of the Apes: I thought it looked good in the trailers, and it was even better than I expected.

2. Thor: I wanted to see it, but wasn't expecting a lot and was very surprised by how good it was.

3. Harry Potter: Wasn't wild about some things, but I did really enjoy the movie.

4. Captain America: Although it didn't quite live up to all I was hoping for, I still thoroughly enjoyed it.

5. X Men: I was really into this movie until the climax, then it got silly. I also HATED the character, Angel.

6. Green Lantern: Very very average.

7. Super 8: Very very boring. Great acting didn't save this film. I was just bored to death.

8. Cowboys & Aliens: Utterly disappointing. A waste of talent.

9. Transformers 3: Saw this for free, thank God. I hated this movie with every fiber of my being.

I haven't seen Bridesmaids, but I plan to. I'll see Pirates when it won't cost me anything. I am not a fan of the Fast and Furious movies, so I won't see Fast Five ever. Cars is the only Pixar movie I didn't like, and Cars 2 didn't look any better. I might see Fright Night, but I don't expect much. And the only way I'll watch Conan is for free...I just can't bring myself to pay to see it.

Yates Helming THE STAND (Article) - 8/11/2011 8:09:38 AM

The Stand is one of my all time favorite books, and definitely one of King's best. When the mini-series came out, I enjoyed it for what it was...a watered down, condensed version of a great book. I still enjoy watching now, though, like most movies made from books, it pales in comparison to the source material.

They absolutely have to make this a trilogy. If they tried to tell this story in one movie it would be horrible. The mini-series was told in 4 installments and still left out a LOT of character development (Larry Underwood following Harold's signs across the country on their way to Colorado. I enjoyed that aspect of the story) and even combined some characters into one, in order to make the story fit into the confines of an 8 hour mini-series. So unless they make into 4 or 5 movies, we'll still be missing some things form the book, so some people will no doubt be unhappy.

I do appreciate the desire to keep it more PG-13ish, but I really hope they don't. Stephen King is FAR from PG-13 in his books, and would love to see this as it was written. I can enjoy King's mini-series adaptations because its the only we'll see some of his stories on film, but I would much rather have them be more like they are in the books.

Overall I don't think it will be difficult to recast. Gary Sinise (Stu Redman) and Bill Fagerbakke (Tom Cullen) would be the most difficult to replace in my opinon. But everyone else will be quite replaceable. I do hope they follow through with this. These are great characters in a great story, and if they do it right, it will make a fantastic trilogy.

It sure feels good to be back posting again...so much to catch up on.

The Thing Teaser Trailer (Article) - 7/15/2011 3:40:30 AM

So far it looks pretty good to me, but its hard to tell. Based on this I would give it a shot. We'll see how the next trailers look.

Transformers Takes Down Second Victory (Article) - 7/11/2011 3:44:07 AM

I am not at all surprised by TF3's performance. The visuals were amazing, but I still absolutley hated it. That movie went beyond needing my brain shut off to enjoy...I would need a visit from "the High Roller" to do his job on me before I could find it enjoyable. I'm sure it will win the summer all around though. HP will do well too. I am stoked for Cap, just cannot wait. I also really want to see Cowboys & Aliens and the new Apes movie. Thor is still the best movie I've seen this summer and I expect Cap to be better.

These final few films will make the end of the summer a better time at the movies than I had through the first half of the summer. X-Men was good, but the ending was silly. Super 8 was just boring. GL was average at best. TF3 was...ugh. I just can't see disliking the remaining movies as much as I did most of the ones I've already seen this summer.  **crosses fingers**

New Intl. Conan the Barbarian Trailer (Article) - 7/6/2011 11:43:59 AM

I have no problem with Momoa as Conan. I LOVED Arnie's Conan the Barbarian, but I really did not like Conan the Destroyer. The sequel was very cartoonish and what we would call SYFY quality. This new one appears to be the exact same way as Destroyer. I don't care at all that it follows Howard's vision more than the original. These stories may read well like this, but putting it on screen this way, especially with the horrid dialogue they keep releasing in the trailers, looks very very cheesy.  I am glad to see a rated R fantasy film hit the theaters, as I am tired of all fantasy films being geared towards kids. But I think this film will sink like a stone, and make it even less likely to get more rated R fantasy films in the future. The bar for Conan was set with the original movie, and the bar for gritty fantasy has been by Game of Thrones, and this movie looks like it will not even come close to either one.

FLYINROO'S MANIACAL PERSONA