All galaga51's Comments

Mania Review: Prometheus (Article) - 6/8/2012 12:58:18 AM

I do not see how this isn't a prequel... except for where something died, which I chalk up as an error.  If you want a xenomorph chasing Ripley for it to be a prequel, then it isn't.  If you want a film that plays as a lead-in in regards to the company, the derilict ship, etc., etc., then it is... or at least, I sure felt I was led to believe that.  In fact, somewhere long ago, I believe Scott finally admitted it was a prequel.  But whatever... the connections are there.

I liked it and I'm glad I saw it in the theater, but I was far from blown away.  There were some definitively scary and memorable moments for sure... scenes that had me thinking about them such that at one point driving home I realized I was only doing 40 in a 55.  But then there were some editting errors (e.g., David's hair mousse) and some areas of poor writing that made me wonder why certain things were more complicated than they needed to be.

One thing that was better than I expected was the 3D, and usually I'm quite the naysayer.  After the first 5 to 10 minutes or so (several cuts from deep focus to near focus), either I became accustomed to it or it just became less noticable.  Either way, I made it through most (not all) of the film without being distracted by the 3D and if you are a fan of 3D I would recommend it.  However, if the trailer is any indication of the finished product, I would NOT recommend seeing Spider-Man in 3D.  Everything looked like flat pieces of cardboard set at varying depths.

Promo Prometheus IMAX Poster (Article) - 6/5/2012 8:07:20 PM

I cannot say I'm thrilled with this poster, but being the poster hoarder that I am, I will gladly take one.

World of Prometheus Featurette (Article) - 6/5/2012 8:06:27 PM

Jumping in very late and adding just  a touch, yes it is supposed to be a prequel... no, there are not supposed to be any xenomorphs, nary a one.  But I highly doubt they have "absolutely nothing" to do with each other, but how directly they tie-in, I'm sure we'll find out soon enough. From the first trailer - the rounded posts, while made of a smooth material, resemble the eggs both in their height and spacing.  The nose of the mask they are examining, to me, has an uncanny resemblence to the body/tail of the face huggers.

I thought I read that if there is a sequel to this film, it may tie more directly to Alien, possibly showing more how the xenomorphs came to be.  Or maybe I'm imagining that, it has been a while and I've been avoiding most information since the first trailer.  Maybe the sequel (to this film) will be called Pandora.  >-)

Fringe Renewed For Season 5 (Article) - 4/27/2012 7:25:16 AM

I love this show for the characters, but the writing is not always stellar.  At times it seems to lack a direction and plot holes are too common, and yet I usually find each episode to be easily enjoyable.  Fox did the show no favors by placing it on Friday nights and having an 8-day waiting period to watch missed episodes online.  (You're making me wait until after the next episode comes out to watch the previous one?  Really?!)  But at least the show has an ending date far enough in advance that we hopefully can see some kind of closure to the frayed fringes of Fringe.

Bay Confirms Transformers 4 Date (Article) - 2/16/2012 5:53:50 AM

I didn't pay for 2; fell asleep, too.  I haven't seen 3.   Next.

Jack, it might have worked if the robots were the main characeters all along, like the cartoon.

NBC Approves of Hannibal (Article) - 2/16/2012 5:41:45 AM

@Ferret - I'm staring at it, but I'm having trouble focusing on the image.

First Look: Bourne Legacy Photo (Article) - 1/9/2012 8:05:14 AM

I thoroughly enjoyed the first three films and look foward to this.  I'm a slow reader but maybe one day I'll get around to the book series.

New Mirror Mirror Posters (Article) - 12/21/2011 6:00:02 AM

On the first poster, the text over the apple seems poorly placed.  Either it should be lowered, curved to reflect the shape of the apple, or preferably not there at all.

Scott on Prometheus, Alien Ties (Article) - 12/19/2011 7:09:18 PM

In the full interview he spoke about evolution a good bit, and if it follows the canon of the third movie (as much as we might not like the plot) the alien can steal DNA at least as far as its "pupa" stage, at least, that's how I understood it.  So Scott saying, "there's a DNA of the very first Alien," could just mean we are seeing the alien before it starts stealing DNA from other creatures.  But whatever, I'm stoked for whatever he throws at us.

(This may have already been discussed in previous articles, but I've been "away.")

First THING Clip Arrives (Article) - 9/9/2011 7:13:31 AM

Invis', that reminds me of my dad and I.  He let me watch pretty much whatever I wanted to watch (I'm up to ~2043 viewed films) but one night when I was about 13 years old, he and my mother were on their way out for a gala, and he saw that I was watching The Fly (1986).  He highly recommended that I not watch it, at least not until I was older.  It haunted my mind for quite some time; the arm-wrestling scene still... ugh.  And the pieces and parts in the jars and the... ...

Despite some flawed (albeit still good) effects of the time, The Thing is one of the best horror films.   I'm definitely looking forward to this and avoiding any more clips.

GALAGA51'S MANIACAL PERSONA