All gwarlockvance's Comments

The Greatest Fantasy Writers of All Time! (Article) - 3/10/2009 2:15:07 PM

I'm amused by how NEW the selection of "greatest" fantasy writers listed here.  What about writers like Joy Chant, William Hope Hodgson, Hope Mirrlees, George MacDonald, James Branch Cabell, Lord Dunsany, Hannes Bok, H. Rider Haggard, George Meredith, Arthur Machen, William Morris, Evangeline Walton, Mervyn Peake, Clark Ashton Smith, and hell's bells - even Lovecraft?!

Look up the Ballantine Adult Fantasy series from the early 1970s and marvel at all the great fantasy literature which Lin Carter brought back to the public eye.  Would that newer imprints would do the same.

I'm all for the newer authors as well, Tolkien, Gaimen, Donaldson and the like, but let us not forget the origins - all of those who inspired them!

Props to those who mentioned Leiber and Howard.

Giveaway: WATCHMEN: THE MOTION COMIC (Article) - 3/3/2009 11:41:30 PM

Hero name: ZEPHYR

Abilities: a small device which allows me to ionize the air to create violent winds and to draw down lightning.

Costume: Midnight blue, thick leather lined with chainmail, domino eye-mask (glued on), heavy cloak allowing me to glide short distances (aided by manufactured wind), rubberized gloves and boots for weather protection AND to minimize the risk of electroshock.

Weapons: throwing knives.

I imagine this character as a complement to either the original MINUTEMEN or to the WATCHMEN.  The ZEPHYR would rarely speak (if at all) and like his Old Time Radio predecessor, the SHADOW, his silence and ability to fade into the background would spook criminals.

Unspecified Title (Article) - 12/17/2008 11:03:07 AM

<p>I would try to resume my place in the &quot;normal&quot; world by continuing to teach college courses by day - then at night I'd fight crime as THE&nbsp;ZEPHYR.&nbsp; I'd be a distant cousin to THE&nbsp;SHADOW with powers of invisibility and with a penchant for whup-ass on the bad guys.</p>

WINNER: Popeye the Sailor - 1941-1943 Volume 3 (Article) - 11/19/2008 6:17:17 PM

<p>I yam what I yam - and I yam ready to WIN&nbsp;this!</p>

Unspecified Title (Article) - 11/19/2008 6:14:52 PM

<p>ION: Ilusions Of Necessity</p> <p>1 - HARRY&nbsp;HOUDINI (master magician, master showman, excellent escape artist)</p> <p>2 - GEORGE&nbsp;SMILEY (from the spy books by John le Carr&eacute; - we'd need an excellent Control)</p> <p>3 - MICHELLE&nbsp;YEOH (in her role from CROUCHING&nbsp;TIGER, HIDDEN&nbsp;DRAGON - badass Asian chick with a sword, 'nuff said)</p> <p>4 - HANNIBAL&nbsp;LECTER (c'mon - the guy's a death machine - just keep him away from my fava beans)</p> <p>5 - CABAL (from the Clive Barker novella - able to take a BITE out of the competition)</p>

Win a Maid! Fate/Stay Night Rin Tohsaka Figure Contest (Article) - 10/26/2008 10:33:42 PM

<p>Winning isn't everything, but losing sucks wind.</p>

Unspecified Title (Article) - 10/16/2008 6:26:09 PM

<p>Is it okay if I just want to see Tim Roth play another bad-ass and to check out the soon-to-be-resurrected CAPTAIN&nbsp;AMERICA?</p>

Winner: YOU'RE NOT ELECTED CHARLIE BROWN on DVD (Article) - 10/9/2008 6:43:18 AM

A person would have to be a real BLOCKHEAD not to want one of these!

Contest: Nagato Yuki Swimsuit Figure (Article) - 10/5/2008 10:36:54 PM

Anime is one of my bestest loves - please!

GWARLOCKVANCE'S MANIACAL PERSONA