All highdough's Comments

Bloodgood Fights in New TERMINATOR (Article) - 4/21/2008 10:06:40 AM

I heard that filming on the new Terminator film may have been pushed back, just weeks before filming was to have started. Don't know how true that is. And word is that The Sarah Connor Chronicles has been renewed.

HITMAN (Article) - 3/22/2008 11:25:02 PM

So, what you're basically saying is that your expectations were very low...

A-TEAM Assault Begins June 2009 (Article) - 3/20/2008 10:13:49 PM

Just wondering how many of the people hating on Ice Cube saw Three Kings.

FUNNY GAMES (Article) - 3/14/2008 9:53:06 AM

Considering most movie reviews spend half their time giving away plot details, I would consider it a compliment that it's not like other movie reviews. I generally don't read entire reviews before seeing a movie because most reviewers seem to mistake telling us what happens with reviewing.

FUNNY GAMES (Article) - 3/13/2008 11:16:22 PM

I have to say this looks like a totally unappealing film. I've seen the trailer a few times and I don't know why anyone would want to see a film about a family who gets held against their will and tortured. And mlaforcer, the reviewer does in fact give a synopsis of the film. It's the second paragraph. Not too hard to find.

Sorvino Looking For LAST TEMPLAR (Article) - 3/5/2008 11:17:42 AM

Ya, I was definitely not a fan of the writing of DaVinci Code, but I still found it much better than the Last Templar. I look at it like movies. It's not necessarily good writing that brings in an audience, but a great hook and good marketing. DaVinci Code had a great hook. It certainly couldn't have been the writing that made it so popular.

Sorvino Looking For LAST TEMPLAR (Article) - 3/4/2008 9:06:15 PM

Nobody seemed to care that I was offended.

Sorvino Looking For LAST TEMPLAR (Article) - 3/4/2008 11:34:35 AM

I was offended upon reading this book, but not by the anti-Christian message, which I don't mind at all, but by the horrible, amateurish writing. I found it incredibly difficult to get through the book, and in the end, never did finish it. The idea behind the story itself was somewhat intriguing, and it seemed to be well researched, but it was just so hackneyed and cliched it was impossible to read. I was quite disappointed because the subject matter really interested me. Now Dan Brown's writing is not great, and is a little too formulaic for my tastes, but at least he knows how to keep the reader engrossed.

New Trailer for 10,000 B.C (Article) - 2/21/2008 11:04:29 AM

I'm guessing this is the international trailer, hence the lack of dialogue. I have to say, I am intrigued by this movie. It looks to be fun, if nothing else. As for the historical accuracy, that seems to be a case of suspension of disbelief. There is absolutely no evidence that people had the ability to construct pyramids, build sailboats, or any of the things you see in the trailer. That said, this could be a case of using ideas from non-mainstream research. I mentioned in a much earlier story about this movie about Graham Hancock's books, which may be some of the inspiration for this movie.

Unspecified Title (Article) - 2/18/2008 7:11:09 PM

gauleyboy420, first off, let me say that I agree with you about unions. I can't stand them, as a general rule. I find it incredibly ironic that they've basically become what they've fought so hard against. That said, I don't automatically disagree with anything they are trying to achieve. Now I completely disagree with how the WGA negotiated. They waited way to late to begin negotiations and then went straight to a strike. They took advantage of it's members' loyalty and screwed many of them at the same time. That said, the AMPTP were not exactly negotiating in good faith. Many feel they actually wanted a strike, and what they initially offered was less than they had before. The fact that the studios can band together and negotiate with the WGA is a little puzzling. Can you imagine if Ford, GM and Chrysler all banded together and negotiated one contract with the auto workers? That would actually be illegal, yet for some reason, the studios are able to do that. Now as to your argument about writers not deserving residuals because you don't get any money on profits made from your work. Well, again, you don't really understand the background here. If a writer writes a book, they get royalties when their book is sold. If an artist paints a picture, they get royalties whenever their work is published (in books, on film etc). If an architect designs a building, they get paid whenever someone uses their design. It's copyright. They own the rights to their own creative work. Screenwriters have their authorship/ownership taken over by the studio when they `sell' their work. In exchange, the studios have negotiated things like residuals, instead of giving royalties (which are only given to the legal author, which is now the studio). How much of a residual is open to negotiation. Obviously the studio wants to pay as little as possible, the writer wants to get as much as possible. The United States is one of the few territories where the screenwriter does not retain authorship, and, not coincidentally, it's also a territory where the studios have so much power. As for you not getting extra money, that's something you can negotiate if you feel you deserve it. I have no idea what exactly you do, but if you are the author of something, and own the copyright, than you should be getting royalties. A lot of examples that people use, however, aren't valid. A game designer who writes code for a video game isn't the author of that code. He can't get royalties. I do personally know a video game designer who designed a controller improvement and gets royalties when a controller is made with his design, however. A plumber installing a toilet doesn't have authorship over the toilet. The person who designed the toilet does get royalties (or whatever they are called for them) when their design is used to build a new toilet.

HIGHDOUGH'S MANIACAL PERSONA