All insaneben's Comments

TOKYOPOP Comes To An End (Article) - 4/15/2011 1:45:19 PM

I'm shocked and saddened, yet somehow, after hearing this past February that they had laid off long-time stalwarts like Lillian Diaz-Pryzbyl (sp?), and that their publishing staff had been reduced to all of six people, I had a feeling it was only a matter of time before their manga division went belly-up.

And yet, they said their European manga division will remain operational. Will this mean they'll continue to publish books and get a third-party to distribute them? Or will this simply be the last domino to fall before Tokyopop devotes its remaining resources to film (and padding Stu Levy's bank account)? Only time will tell...

(On a personal note, I'm glad I got the remaining volumes of every other Tokyopop series I wanted... all except for Aria, which, depending on the days and months ahead, may either continue to be published, dropped and rescued by another publisher, or join "Harukaze Bitter Bop" and countless others in licensing limbo. Stay tuned...)

Bandai To Announce New License At Sakura-Con (Article) - 4/9/2011 10:17:01 AM

It's a sailboat.

Angel Beats! Licensed By Sentai Filmworks (Article) - 3/25/2011 1:24:35 PM

I reacted to the news the same way I reacted to the final play of the Redskins/Cowboys game from week 1 in 2010:

"No! YES!!!"

I would've bet money on Bandai snatching up the license- good thing I didn't.

Now comes the big question: half or whole-series set? And will it include the extra episodes? Stay tuned... (I know I sure will.)

Clannad Movie Licensed, After Story To Be Dubbed (Article) - 11/14/2010 9:04:01 AM

YES! Finally!

FUNimation Details New Packaging Policy And Price Increase (Article) - 10/22/2010 9:47:12 AM

Calibur 454, I was referring to package quality. The extras I can do without. Remember when Bandai and ADV Films would release DVD sets in bulky plastic cases? Not only were they nice and sturdy, the fasteners (or whatever that thing in the center of a DVD case is) actually held the discs in place without having to resort to stacking or shoehorning or using some sort of seal that made removing the DVD from the case quite difficult. (Look at ADV's old release of, say, Blue Seed, Nadesico or Dirty Pair Flash. Now compare that to Media Blasters's budget set for Moribito and Bandai's Lucky Star econo-set. See the differences? Now you know why I'm concerned about the current state of package quality now, as opposed to then.)

Koihime Muso, Kampfer, 11 Eyes Anime Series Licensed (Article) - 10/21/2010 7:27:57 PM

I'm getting a little concerned...

No further announcements regarding Golgo 13 and/or dubbed Clannad After Story is not a good sign.

Come on, Sentai- stop beating around the bush and make with the goods already (and by "goods", I mean the two series I had just mentioned). Seriously, all three of those titles are well below-average (especially Kampfer- ugh!). Your strategy's starting to look a lot like ADV's, a.k.a. the old you (release as many mediocre titles as possible and see what sticks, a.k.a. the dartboard method). And speaking of which, would it kill you guys to extend the olive branch (instead of the middle finger) to fans and make announcements at conventions instead of operating in the dark? (Come now, how many financial law loopholes are you going to dodge before you guys come out of hiding?)

FUNimation Details New Packaging Policy And Price Increase (Article) - 10/21/2010 6:51:53 PM

As long as the package quality's good, I'm all for the price increase (I also hope it sends a message to Bandai, Media Blasters and Sentai Filmworks; package quality counts, and shoehorning 4, 6 or 8 DVDs into a single case seems more like a way to punish fans or people late to the game for holding out on a lower-priced set; that's not the way to treat new and/or established fans).

Viz Media Promises Big News Next Week (Article) - 10/21/2010 5:54:26 PM

Quote from joelgundam01 on the forums:

"FWIW, the current issue of Shonen Jump states that there is a big announcement next issue."

Well, that might kill any chances of seeing any improvement on Viz's anime side.

Worst-case scenario: Shonen Jump follows Yen Press and becomes online-exclusive.

Viz Media Promises Big News Next Week (Article) - 10/21/2010 5:46:26 PM

No more spam in the comments section! (Wait... that's my biggest hope for mania.com.)

What Mr. Beveridge said: finish all the anime series you started (especially Monster and the long-rumored dub of Inuyasha: The Final Act).

If it turns out to be manga-related, I want more jobs for manga translators and marketing staff at Viz (there's little-to-no way their anime division, excluding Naruto, Bleach and Pokemon, is going to survive with just a skeleton crew at the helm).

Bandai Makes Solid New York Anime Festival Announcements (Article) - 10/9/2010 2:10:19 PM

(In before hectotane makes the usual "bancoholding" rant.)

Gotta agree, Calibur454. For Bandai, it's one step forward, two steps backwards, and one step in the wrong direction (in other words, business as usual).

You'd think that after releasing Haruhi Season 2 on DVD as a set that they would've learned their lesson, that singles don't sell anymore. Well, looks like they've learned nothing at all, as they're releasing K-On the same way they released Haruhi S.1 and Lucky Star (sorry, hardcore collectors, but there's a reason why Right Stuf was selling off a massive supply of limited editions of all the Haruhi and most of the Lucky Star DVDs at deep discounts, and it certainly wasn't because they sold like hotcakes... mmm, hotcakes). If it didn't work three years ago, much less two years ago, odds are it won't work out like they had planned. I look forward to the K-On Anime Legends box set in late 2012 or 2013 (and by "box set", I mean "four discs shoehorned into a case meant for only one").

Yeah, I'm glad they're getting back into the Blu-Ray game with "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time", but they're still miles behind the competition in terms of Blu-Rays (hell, even Sentai Filmworks has/will have released more Blu-Ray series and movies by the end of this year than Bandai will before the end of next year).

You'd think with a lighter release schedule, they'd actually buckle down and re-release some of Bandai Visual's titles at a lower price. Nope, instead we get Gundam Unicorn on DVD for $30 per two-episode DVD release. Has nothing been learned from the whole Bandai Visual USA debacle? And what's worse is the "Haruhi-chan/Nyoron Churuya-san" mini-series is being released as a two-parter for $25 a disc when it should've been done as a single disc (preferably as part of the Haruhi S.2 DVD set).

I was really hoping that things would've changed for the better by the end of the year. Alas, Ken Iyadomi, Robert Napton and Loy Fruel are even more out-of-sync with general anime fandom than Milli Vanilli and their singing (look it up, kids).

INSANEBEN'S MANIACAL PERSONA