All isgrimner's Comments

Goodbye Maniacs (Article) - 2/23/2015 7:08:23 AM

Not too big a fan of facebook, but I'll think about it.

I finally saw that Tom Cruise Emily Blunt movie.  The Groundhog Day meets Starship Troopers one.  I liked it.

Goodbye Maniacs (Article) - 2/18/2015 1:36:32 PM

Dave was the form that Hurley saw.  Didn't think of that one at first.

Goodbye Maniacs (Article) - 2/18/2015 1:34:39 PM

Calamity J's Lost trivia

1. Of course it was Libby, but I don't think she actually sold it to him but more loaned it.  If she did sell it, maybe it was a trifeling amount like one dollar.

2.  Christian had drinks with Anna Lucia and the man who called himself Sawyer who was actually named James Ford.  By the way Claire was Christian's daughter.

3.  Eko posing as a priest, his brother actually I think, so as not to get arrasted ended up in the U.K. He continued to pose as a priest and was sent to Austrialia to investigate a possible miracle.  If I recall the miracle was a girl who drowned and came back to life later, but the kicker was her dad was the fake psycic who had real visions when Claire went to him and ended up getting Claire to take the Oceanic flight 801.

4.  I don't actually remember this one, but am positive it is Hurley.  He was on the news for his lotto winning and chicken shack getting hit by a meteor.  He is also one of the most popular characters.

5. five forms of the smoke monster?  Christian Shepard, Mr. Eko's brother, Some horse Kate sees, Boone?, Ben's mom

Goodbye Maniacs (Article) - 2/18/2015 1:22:21 PM

Jedi Banner's questions first.

1. I Make Mine Marvel even though I have a DC Vertigo avatar, but I  guess I would think that overpowered Supes would eventually beat the Hulk.  But I just re read you question and you said strongest, so maybe Hulk when his anger kept increasing his strength.  really I just don't know.

2. Peter Parker.  I don't like any newbies taking over established characters.   Bruce Wayne is always Batman in my mind too.

3. I enjoy Star Wars, but never rabidly, so I don't know if I have much of an opinion here.  I'll watch the Disney movies when they come out and judge then.

4. While I think early Lost is the better show, if they were both books I would prefer GoT.  I tend to enjoy reading fantasy novels more than other genres, though I did read multiple genres.

Goodbye Maniacs (Article) - 2/17/2015 2:32:14 PM

May 25, 2006  is what my date shows.  I may have used other user names before then.  I use, isgrimner on several boards and Xbox Live.

Goodbye Maniacs (Article) - 2/17/2015 6:43:45 AM

Late 1999/early 2000 I would visit Cinescape, Aint it Cool News and Counting Down pretty regularly for Lord of the Rings scoops and then various other movies in production.  Got tired of AiCN and Counting Down kind of died too.  Cinescape became Mania

Valar morghulis Mania.

Game of Thrones Season 5 Trailer (Article) - 2/10/2015 7:04:43 AM

In slightly related news, only because it was a massively popular fantasy series, it looks like the shady arseholes at Red Eagle Entertainment who currently own the movie/television rights to Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time, produced a crappy pilot that aired on FXX last night.  Did it just to maintain the film rights that were close to expiring.

Game of Thrones Season 5 Trailer (Article) - 2/4/2015 7:32:21 PM

CardinalSin, I'm close to 40.   None of the shows you mentioned were as successful on a major Network during primetime as 24.  Network execs who make the decisions on what to green light were not keen on allowing shows one single narrative in the past because they felt new viewers would have a hard time jumping on in the middle of the season.  Why do you think the major networks do so many crime procedurals?   I read somewhere that Lost would have never been green lit if not for the early success of 24.

I can't attest to Babylon 5 or Stargate as I didn't watch them,  and neither did the mainstream that pleases those network execs.  I did see every episode of Buffy and while there were general arcs over the course of a season, there were plenty of filler monster of the week episodes.

jdiggity, I have The World of Ice and Fire and have glanced thorugh it some.  I haven't read it completely yet, but as soon as I'm done with my reread of the main series, I'll move on to it.  Earlier today I saw that somebody leaked GRRM's original rough outline of the series he sent to publishers when it was meant to be a trilogy.  My how he changed course from that.  It is almost like a What if version.

Game of Thrones Season 5 Trailer (Article) - 2/2/2015 7:40:28 AM

I kind of agree with Blankczech about tv shows catching up to and in some cases surpassing movies.  The caveat is that I am a fan of longer stories.  I think a lot of the current culture of tv series telling a story over the course of their episodes and not a "monster of the week" style can be attributed in part to the success of 24, the rise of DVR ownership, and the ability to stream missed shows on the internet.  It would be hard for average Joe to jump into the middle of a series, but now, there are options if you missed some episodes.  Breaking Bad didn't begin with killer ratings, but it grew as it went.

Love David Bowie, but not sure who was doing that cover.  At times I thought it was some techno remix where they used some of Bowie's vocals, not sure.  Kind of a pet peeve I have is a lot of properties will cut trailers with great songs, only that they get some crappy modern cover of it.   Though Heros is far from my favorite Bowie tune.  They could have cut the same trailer with Man Who Sold the World.

Currently doing a reread of the books.  Kind of sad because this is the last season of the show I think I'll watch for many years.   After this season, I'll buy the Blu Rays and put on the shelf till I can finish the books, then watch.  So at this rate, I may get to watch the rest of the seasons in 2025.

IMAX Game of Thrones Teaser (Article) - 1/23/2015 7:15:27 AM

Just saw Sophie Turner/Sansa Stark will play Jean Grey in XMen Apocalypse movie.

ISGRIMNER'S MANIACAL PERSONA