All isgrimner's Comments

<<  <  1 2 3 4 5 >  >>

Goodbye Maniacs (Article) - 2/17/2015 2:32:14 PM

May 25, 2006  is what my date shows.  I may have used other user names before then.  I use, isgrimner on several boards and Xbox Live.

Goodbye Maniacs (Article) - 2/17/2015 6:43:45 AM

Late 1999/early 2000 I would visit Cinescape, Aint it Cool News and Counting Down pretty regularly for Lord of the Rings scoops and then various other movies in production.  Got tired of AiCN and Counting Down kind of died too.  Cinescape became Mania

Valar morghulis Mania.

Game of Thrones Season 5 Trailer (Article) - 2/10/2015 7:04:43 AM

In slightly related news, only because it was a massively popular fantasy series, it looks like the shady arseholes at Red Eagle Entertainment who currently own the movie/television rights to Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time, produced a crappy pilot that aired on FXX last night.  Did it just to maintain the film rights that were close to expiring.

Game of Thrones Season 5 Trailer (Article) - 2/4/2015 7:32:21 PM

CardinalSin, I'm close to 40.   None of the shows you mentioned were as successful on a major Network during primetime as 24.  Network execs who make the decisions on what to green light were not keen on allowing shows one single narrative in the past because they felt new viewers would have a hard time jumping on in the middle of the season.  Why do you think the major networks do so many crime procedurals?   I read somewhere that Lost would have never been green lit if not for the early success of 24.

I can't attest to Babylon 5 or Stargate as I didn't watch them,  and neither did the mainstream that pleases those network execs.  I did see every episode of Buffy and while there were general arcs over the course of a season, there were plenty of filler monster of the week episodes.

jdiggity, I have The World of Ice and Fire and have glanced thorugh it some.  I haven't read it completely yet, but as soon as I'm done with my reread of the main series, I'll move on to it.  Earlier today I saw that somebody leaked GRRM's original rough outline of the series he sent to publishers when it was meant to be a trilogy.  My how he changed course from that.  It is almost like a What if version.

Game of Thrones Season 5 Trailer (Article) - 2/2/2015 7:40:28 AM

I kind of agree with Blankczech about tv shows catching up to and in some cases surpassing movies.  The caveat is that I am a fan of longer stories.  I think a lot of the current culture of tv series telling a story over the course of their episodes and not a "monster of the week" style can be attributed in part to the success of 24, the rise of DVR ownership, and the ability to stream missed shows on the internet.  It would be hard for average Joe to jump into the middle of a series, but now, there are options if you missed some episodes.  Breaking Bad didn't begin with killer ratings, but it grew as it went.

Love David Bowie, but not sure who was doing that cover.  At times I thought it was some techno remix where they used some of Bowie's vocals, not sure.  Kind of a pet peeve I have is a lot of properties will cut trailers with great songs, only that they get some crappy modern cover of it.   Though Heros is far from my favorite Bowie tune.  They could have cut the same trailer with Man Who Sold the World.

Currently doing a reread of the books.  Kind of sad because this is the last season of the show I think I'll watch for many years.   After this season, I'll buy the Blu Rays and put on the shelf till I can finish the books, then watch.  So at this rate, I may get to watch the rest of the seasons in 2025.

IMAX Game of Thrones Teaser (Article) - 1/23/2015 7:15:27 AM

Just saw Sophie Turner/Sansa Stark will play Jean Grey in XMen Apocalypse movie.

Hannibal Season 3 Pushed Back! (Article) - 1/20/2015 7:03:40 AM

Another big fan here.  Its one of my current favs.

5 Michael Keaton Films to Re-watch Before the Oscars (Article) - 1/13/2015 7:08:03 AM

I've seen Mr. Mom playing on cable a couple times the past few months while channel surfing. Didn't he and Henery Winkler play a couple of pimps in a movie?  The one I remember most from that era is Gung Ho, and Beetlejuice later on in the decade of course.

Keaton was writing articles/blogs on ESPN the year before last about the Pittsburgh Pirates first time back in the MLB playoffs in like 20 years, as he was a huge Pirates fan.   My Cards ended his blog run though that year.

Mania Review: Big Eyes (Article) - 1/2/2015 7:53:00 AM

I'm a fan of Jason Schwartzman, and he is in it, so I will eventually watch it.

Penny Dreadful Season 2 Teaser (Article) - 12/29/2014 11:02:12 AM

I'm a fan and look forward to season 2.

ISGRIMNER'S MANIACAL PERSONA