All isgrimner's Comments

Unspecified Title (Article) - 12/31/2007 9:15:42 AM

All these type lists are always subjective, that's why I always take them with a grain of salt. On my list Tolkien would be #3. I never really read untill an 8th grade english teacher overheard me good naturedly ribbing a classmate for reading The Hobbit. She choose that as the next book we were going to read, and I got hooked on reading because of it. So I do like Tolkien a lot. However, my list would not be based on who accomplished more, rather I would base it entirely on who I enjoyed reading more. After multiple re-reads, my list would still go Williams, Jordan, then Tolkien.

Unspecified Title (Article) - 12/31/2007 7:29:00 AM

I think you'll catch a lot of flack for putting Jordan at number one on your book list. I don't have a problem with it though as it is number two on my list, only behind Tad Williams' Memory Sorrow and Thorn trilogy. I'm sure many will have near apoplexy at you putting Jordan ahead of Tolkien. Tolkein may have gotten me to start reading the genre years ago, but I'd rather read Williams or Jordan now. As for the rest of the book list, I have never read any of the Harry Potter books, and have no desire to do so. I'm interested and will read Martin, I'm just trying to wait till everything is published so I can read it all in one go. On the games list, I agree with The Orange Box, mainly because Half-Life is my favorite game of all time. Portal was incredibly cool too. By the way is this written by Pat the Original Lemming from Westeros who writes Pat's Fantasy Hotlist? If so that is cool, 'cause everybody should know that Goodkind is a hack.

Unspecified Title (Article) - 12/16/2007 4:16:09 PM

Just got done watching the 3rd season of Lost on Blu-Ray and it was pretty nice. The image quality was so good that at one point I caught Charlie breaking the small E string on his guitar and could see the string pretty clearly. Just like when I watched it on TV, I can't wait for the new episodes. I concur with NotAFan's quote, "D*** you stike! D*** you to H3LL!"

BOURNE ULTIMATUM (Article) - 12/10/2007 9:00:10 AM

The Bourne movies are the movies that tempt me into possibly buying an HD DVD player. I am a Blu-Ray owner and would rather stay with one format, but the Bourne movies make me waiver in that conviction.

Fivesome Cast For Apatow's YEAR ONE (Article) - 12/6/2007 9:36:49 AM

Lets see. I have liked most of what I have seen from Apatow. I like Jack Black, and usually even watch his stinkers, even when I suspect before hand that they will be bad. I feel the same way about Dave Cross as JB. Mr. Show was awesome. Oliver Platt is a talanted actor who makes the most of all his roles, even the crappy ones, ie. that wrestling movie with Scott Caan and David Arquette. Micheal Sera, good in Arrested Development, good in Superbad. He did some funny stuff on the DVD extras portions of Knocked Up and Superbad. Vinnie Jones made a better transition from pro sports to acting than most atheletes. I think I've only seen 4 films he has been in, and he was above average in all of them. Christopher Mintz-Plasse made his debut in Superbad, and pretty much stole the show, so he is good to go for now. I don't know who Juno Temple is. So I will at least pay attention to this as it gets developed further. Rather than saying it looks like it is going to suck with the limited info I've read about it.

Unspecified Title (Article) - 12/5/2007 9:41:15 AM

Like Hanso, I wonder if a shot to the head would kill Adam. After all, Claire's blood brought HRG/Noah back from a shot to the head, right through the eye. Granted Claire and Adam's powers may be a little different, but they have shown that blood from either of them can heal others. I also agree with sportwarrior, Maya is freaking hot. When she first got shot, I thought it was a cheap way to appease fans that hated her. I guess I never felt that hate for the character, but I also did not overly like her either. I fine if she stays and gets developed.

Unspecified Title (Article) - 11/16/2007 9:35:12 AM

Mystar? Bobstyle? Defensive much? I gave my opinion. I did not actually praise Jordan in my last post. I only mentioned that Goodkind seemed to blantantly "borrow" elements of WoT for his own books. Many websites out there have documented the similarities, all of which seemed to have been published first in WoT. Though now I will sayJordan's books, while having flaws, are for me a much better read than Goodkind's. That is a personal opinion, it is kind of hard to argue. Regarding Tolkien and Martin, I have read Tolkien, and I enjoyed it. While I do enjoy Tokien, I don't consider him the best. Although I plan to read Martin, I haven't yet, so I'll have to read and find out if I like his work or not. In early Goodkind interviews he claimed his books were not of the "fantasy" genre. Later on, he stated he has redefined the fantasy genre. He also stated that fantasy was basically "world building" and that he was not a "world builder". So I guess he can do what ever he wants with his "f$%@#ing world". I don't enjoy it, and won't be "visiting" it again. I don't think I'll be going to Middle-Earth anytime soon. However, have fun in Richard Rahl's world of big boobed dominatrixes and sado-masichism.

CAPTAIN AMERICA Returns Briefly For Special Issue (Article) - 11/13/2007 4:20:30 PM

Though I read a few comics when I was younger, I did not start reading them regularly untill I was in the military. On my second tour in Bosnia, boredom would set in and I would read pretty much anything at our little Exchange. I ordered several issues while I was there and still read comics to this day.

Unspecified Title (Article) - 11/12/2007 9:19:06 AM

I read through the first 4 books of this series. From the beginning I had problems with it, but I kept going. After book 4, I was done. Goodkind is a hack. His prose and writing stle are hamfisted and blunt. Early on in his books, I could not believe he didn't get sued for plagiarism, since I could see poorly done semblances to the Wheel of Time. If you like your protagonist to kick in the jaws of children, to rip out spines, to have "his thing rise up," to give multiple long speeches which are the author's way of communicating his Objectivist ideology, then you may like the SoT series. You also may like that the principle female character gets "almost-raped" on a regular basis. Like I said, I did read the first four books, I suppose it is possible the rest got better. However, from what I've read on the 'net, they got progressively worse.

Unspecified Title (Article) - 11/1/2007 9:57:06 AM

Well I never really liked the idea of the Origins show. It just seemed like they were trying to milk a succesfull franchise ala CSI.

ISGRIMNER'S MANIACAL PERSONA