All jackwagon's Comments

Abrams Helming Star Trek 2 (Article) - 9/14/2011 9:13:20 AM

Kara in 4...3...2...

5 Not-So-Great Things About Episodes IV-VI (Article) - 9/14/2011 9:11:43 AM

RedHood,

I think you're right - I think it's pretty much understood that after Empire Luke returned to Dagobah to train under Yoda again.  Jedi picks up probably over a year later and Luke is now a Jedi Knight, with only Vader standing in the way of his training being completed.  Yoda had only enough time to train Luke the "basics" during Empire, and it's pretty evident during Luke's lightsaber fight with Vader.  Luke is still very rudimentary in his understanding of the Force at that point, and is clearly overmatched by Vader.

Kodjoe Confirms RE Return (Article) - 9/14/2011 8:24:46 AM

I wonder if he thinks Anderson has written "an amazing script" just like Colin Salmon claimed.

5 Not-So-Great Things About Episodes IV-VI (Article) - 9/14/2011 5:20:16 AM

I see what you're trying to do - trying to show the prequels aren't as bad as we remember and the original trilogy isn't quite as great as we remember - but you're using THESE examples to make your point?  Was picking on the Ewoks too obvious a choice?  Plus, by your own admission two of the points are very nitpicky, whereas the prequels' points are far larger issues.  I will concede that New Hope's dialogue was by no means great, and Luke himself sounded like a whiny brat (like father, like son I suppose).  But the rest of the points listed here are pretty weak.

Salmon Returns to RE (Article) - 9/13/2011 8:25:05 AM

Colin Salmon lost me at "Paul Anderson has written an amazing script."  Those six words do not all belong together in the same sentence, unless he left out "...where the paper can be better used as paper airplanes" on the end of it.

5 Great Things About Episodes I-III (Article) - 9/13/2011 8:22:29 AM

goldeneyez,

Mace Windu was two-dimensional?  I suppose he did have heighth and width, so technically you are correct.  But personality-wise, what dimensions did he have?  Anyone could have played him in the prequels, there was no reason for Samuel L. Jackson to be him.

5 Great Things About Episodes I-III (Article) - 9/13/2011 5:27:32 AM

I can only agree with the lightsaber duels and John Williams' soundtrack on this list.  The pod race didn't add anything to Episode 1 at all.  It was just...there.  Like a special effects demo reel for Lucas to show off what ILM could do with computers in 1999.  I remember being a little bored during the race the first time I went to see the movie.  When the first lap was finished, I recall thinking, "Wait...there's a second lap to sit through?"

Great Jedi: Exactly how was Mace Windu a character?  What depth did he show during the films?  What did we learn about his history, his relationship with Yoda, or his friendship with Obi Wan?  For that matter, how about the rest of the Jedi in the prequels?  We only got to see them on screen for a few minutes scattered among the films until they were wiped out in Episode III.  Why should we care about them when they weren't characters?

Great Villains: As much fun as it was seeing Darth Maul in action, he wasn't a character either for all the same reasons as the Jedi were crappy heroes.  We never learned anything about him - how the Emperor had recruited him, where he came from, or what his personal ambitions were.  The same went for both Dooku and Greivous.  They could have been great villains (and Dooku showed glimpses of that in Episode II when he had tried recruiting Obi Wan to fight the Sith), but they weren't characters either.

Spartacus' Whitfield Passes Away (Article) - 9/12/2011 5:33:22 AM

Will someone PLEASE %$#&ing cure cancer already?????

Cliff Robertson Passes Away (Article) - 9/12/2011 5:32:00 AM

Very well written tribute.  Rest in peace, Cliff.

TV Wasteland: Insert Juvenile Sexual Reference Here (Article) - 9/12/2011 5:29:51 AM

While Who Framed Roger Rabbit is certainly a great film, can you possibly claim that it's Zemeckis' greatest film with a straight face?  Do you really think it's better than Back to the Future or Forrest Gump?

Now if you want to argue it's his most underrated and/or underappreicated film, that's another story...

JACKWAGON'S MANIACAL PERSONA