All jackwagon's Comments

Momoa Pens CONAN Sequel (Article) - 8/8/2011 8:20:43 AM

I guess any ol' schlub can write a script where most of the dialogue is stuff like "RAAAAAAA!" and "URRRRGH!" and "NOOOOOO!"

Fukunaga Helms SPACELESS (Article) - 8/2/2011 8:08:37 AM

Hasn't this script been floating (pun intended) around Hollywood for the better part of 15 years now?  I recall hearing about this script featuring an astronaut tumbling alone in space and fighting to survive on his own.  This is the first time I heard about the central character being an assassin, but the general storyline seems the same.

TITANS Sequel Title Changes (Article) - 8/2/2011 8:06:08 AM

Since when was it ever called Wrath of the Gods?  I thought it was always supposed to be Wrath of the Titans.

DIE HARD 5 Directors, Plot Details (Article) - 8/2/2011 8:04:25 AM

Live Free or Die Hard wasn't so much a bad movie as just your average action film that merely penciled in John McClane in the movie.  Any character could have been the hero of the movie - there was no real need to have McClane be in it.

Oh sure, they tried to relate Live Free to the earlier Die Hards, but it didn't really work that time.  There was a moment late in the film when McClane was talking to the FBI guy on walkie-talkie and said how the FBI guy needed to find McClane's daughter after it was all over in case McClane didn't make it out alive.  I remember watching that for the first time and thought two things: 1. It was meant as an homage to the first Die Hard where McClane had the same conversation with Powell, only regarding his wife, and 2. It felt completely phony.  McClane wasn't nearly as emotional with the FBI guy as he was with Powell, so I didn't believe McClane's sincerity like I did in the original Die Hard.

If Die Hard 5 really does get made, I hope it's written in a way where it's more directly connected to the first three films versus just penciling in McClane.  I'd also love to see some of the peripheral characters come back, like McClane's wife, Thornberg, and/or Powell.

10 Best Star Trek Moments (Article) - 7/29/2011 9:02:59 AM

Oh yes, a companion list of the Worst Trek Moments ever should be done as well.  I'd humbly submit the following possible moments...

1. Paris and Janeway turn into salamanders in "Threshold."  I know it's picking on the elephant in the room, but how can you ignore this one?

2. The B-storyline in TNG's "The Neutral Zone" invovling the three people frozen in time for 400 years in deep space.  The episode felt like it was a mishmash of two completely separate episodes, one is a thriller involving the Romulans returning, and the other a bit of a comedy involving the proverbial fish out of water.  The episode could've been several kinds of awesome had it focused completely on the Romulans, but nooooooooooo.

3. Troi and Riker's entire romance in Star Trek Insurrection.  Forced teenage flirtation that was just amateurly written.

Oh, and one more for the Best Moments list...

Picard's mind meld with Sarek in "Sarek."  Watching him react to the overwhelming Vulcan emotions so Sarek could control himself for his ambassador duties was very moving.

BATTLESHIP Teaser Trailer (Article) - 7/28/2011 7:50:44 AM

It does look better than I had expected, but there's really no reason why it *had* to be called Battleship at all.  Simply could've been called Navy vs. Aliens for all I care, but the Battleship name is completely irrelevant.

10 Best Star Trek Moments (Article) - 7/27/2011 12:13:30 PM

Certainly got the top two spots 100% right.  I don't normally go for the more light-hearted moments in Trek history, but one moment I have always loved was in Star Trek IV when Kirk and Spock are offered to eat Italian with the doctor in San Francisco, and they openly argue over whether they both like it or not.  Finally Kirk "ordered" Spock to say he enjoyed Italian as well.  Hilarious!

I would humbly submit you picked the wrong part of Star Trek: First Contact though.  Six words: The line must be drawn HERE.  'Nuff said.

Howard Exits LOST SYMBOL (Article) - 7/27/2011 12:05:25 PM

I haven't read The Lost Symbol, but I read both previous Robert Langdon novels as well as Digital Fortress, and I think Dan Brown is terribly overrated as a writer.  I admit, I did enjoy Digital Fortress for what it was, but after about the fifth time a character talked about how impossible the situation was for reasons A, B. and C, I was pretty fed up with the repetition.  My overall biggest problem with Brown has always been his amazing ability to kill any suspense in his books using lines like, "Little did Langdon know, but that piece of information would help save his life later that day."  The Da Vanci Code was the worst offender of the three books of his I read since it killed all sorts of suspense and a really insipidly stupid plot overall.

The point to my rant is that I'm not sure a really compelling film can be made from an average book at best, and if The Lost Symbol is just as amateur as the two previous Langdon books, I doubt I'd see the film.

More Judge Dredd Pics Appear (Article) - 7/26/2011 8:55:18 AM

I think I've finally figured out what I don't like about those helmets.  They simply look impractical on a person's head.  How is anyone supposed to see out of them?  The red strips block vision straight ahead, and you can forget about any peripheral vision in those things.  Why would any police force wear something as impractical as that?

Okay, I admit I'm WAY overanalyzing here, but this is one of those small details that would take me out of enjoying a movie.

SDCC: AVENGERS Artwork Online (Article) - 7/25/2011 9:44:07 AM

Since I haven't yet seen Captain America (fahrfigneugen!!!!) I did track down the Avengers teaser bootleg on YouTube.  My oh my oh my oh my does it look IN-BLEEPING-CREDIBLE.  Thor looks even more badass in a "pissed the f*** off" kind of way, and Scarlett Johanneson as Black Widow looks sexy as ever.  Definitely gonna check out Cap in theaters this week so I can see the teaser in all its glory.

By the way, is it confirmed Avengers will be in 3D?  Are they shooting it that way or are they converting it post-production?

JACKWAGON'S MANIACAL PERSONA