All jackwagon's Comments

TOP 10 GREATEST STAR TREK VILLAINS (Article) - 5/16/2013 5:37:48 AM

Sela was criminally underused in TNG.  I don't think she could be put on a greatest villain list because there was no resolution or continuation of her character beyond Unification, Part II.  Had she returned for another episode or two (or even show up later on DS9) to bring her hatred of Picard full circle, then she could have been added.  Instead she got a neck pinch that knocked her out, and we never saw or heard from her again.

TOP TEN LAMEST STAR TREK ALIENS (Article) - 5/15/2013 9:40:10 AM

What about the aliens from the TNG episode "Liaisons"?  These guys don't know what it's like to understand simple emotions like love or anger.  How does a species not understand such things?  And it's not like the episode was really about anything either - it was just meeting a group of aliens who wanted to figure out what it's like to fall in love or get angry.  That's incredibly lame.

TOP TEN ODDEST MOMENTS IN STAR TREK HISTORY (Article) - 5/13/2013 10:39:05 AM

@ monkeyfoot,

Spot on analysis of The Outcast.  I remember when I first watched that episode as a kid and didn't pick up on the social undertones at the time.  I was bored out of my mind from the stupid "conflict" the episode had, and now that I'm older and get its overall message, I found it to be really idiotic.

And how has the TNG episode "Genesis" not come up in this discussion yet?  Barclay turns into a spider, Riker becomes a caveman, and Troi is a fish?

Yikes.

ENDERS GAME: Trailer (Article) - 5/8/2013 5:05:08 AM

Yeech....Harrison Ford sounds like a crotchety old grandfather rambling to his grandchildren more than a grisled military commander motivating Ender into joining the war.

TV Wasteland: May Flowers (Article) - 5/6/2013 5:37:29 AM

2 things...

Re: S1m0ne

Andrew Niccol hasn't done anything of note since The Truman Show.  It's amazing that his first two scripts - Gattaca and Truman Show - were A stories and showed incredible potential in his future.  Compare those two films with his last two scripts - In Time and The Host - and I'd say I have to marvel at how far he's fallen.

Re: I Am Legend

It ain't bad at all.  In fact, the first 40 minutes or so of the film are so dizzingly good I can forgive the unsatisfying second half.  I can't think of any other film in recent memory where a one-man show has worked so well.

Star Trek Into Darkness Trailer 3 and IMAX Poster (Article) - 4/16/2013 1:31:11 PM

@ redvector

Do you mean at the 0:44 mark?  I thought those were burial tubes for all the people killed in Harrison's surprise attack in London.  I didn't get the sense they were any kind of cryotubes.

ELYSIUM: Official Trailer (Article) - 4/10/2013 3:09:46 PM

@ monkeyfoot

Point taken, but I'm only basing my thoughts on what has been established in the official plot synopsis and the trailer itself.  I fully agree that people who simply say a movie sucks or is offensive based on their own presumptions are naive and closed-minded, but I'm not calling Elysium offensive or anything.  I'm only saying it's the latest example in a long line of films whose messages are "Socialism good! Capitalism bad!" or the upper class are evil, selfish jerks, and it's up to the lower class to set things "right".

ELYSIUM: Official Trailer (Article) - 4/10/2013 12:40:00 PM

I'll give the film this much - there's a semi-logical reason why Elysium exists in the film.  If Earth gradually turned into a wasteland over the course of several decades, I could understand why a place like Elysium would be built.  Compare this film to the likes of In Time, where I cannot even fathom why society would embrace the idea of stopping the human body from aging at 25, only to use increments of time as currency.  The sheer craziness of the biology of that scenario aside, why would any one government - much less all governments - decide this is a good idea?  How would such a plan be implemented?  How would they sell it to the general public?  Stacking the deck in such a way in the film annoyed me from the very first minute of In Time, which meant I was not going to enjoy it at all, considering I knew the "rich" within the world of the film would inevitably be the bad guys.

Getting back to Elysium, it's also clearly not just a film about class warfare.  It's about immigration, and why refugees from one nation keep trying to break in to countries where life is supposedly better.  Elysium is clearly designed so that people on Earth cannot legally immigrate into the high class world in orbit.  We're supposed to sympathize with these people who want the same kind of paradise as the rich class, but don't want to work towards earning it (though, like I said, it's impossible for people in the lower class to move upwards according to the film's rules).  How am I supposed to sympathize with someone who amounts to being an illegal immigrant in a film when illegal immigration is such a problem in the U.S. right now?  I'm no isolationist; in fact my own father was born in the Middle East and immigrated here legally.  But I do have a serious issue with films such as Elysium promoting ideas that capitalism is bad, socialism is good, and immigration should be free for all people with no consequences.

ELYSIUM: Official Trailer (Article) - 4/10/2013 5:40:04 AM

iceknight hit it on the nose for me.  I can think of at least half a dozen films about class warfare and the rich are evil jerks, leaving the lower class to rebel against them in order to set the system "right."  I applaud Neill Blomkamp for making two original sci-fi action films with real stories and themes to them, but what's with Hollywood's obsession over showing why socialism is the answer over capitalism?

GAME OF THRONES: Valar Doehaeris Review (Article) - 4/2/2013 5:02:26 AM

"...the long awaited debut of the Whitewalker’s,"

Pleas'e sto'p misusin'g apostrophe's.

I know, I know - I'm a grammar Nazi for bringing up.  But JIMINY CHRISTMAS do you not think about what you're typing when you say stuff like that?

And I'm thrilled to see Game of Thrones back.  I just saw on Facebook Peter Dinklage and HBO played a huge prank on Thrones fans claiming he's being replaced by another actor as Tyrion for season 4, and I believed it at first until I realized it was a joke.  Bravo, HBO.

JACKWAGON'S MANIACAL PERSONA