All jackwagon's Comments

New Iron Man 3 Trailer (Article) - 3/5/2013 10:09:54 AM

Oh. Hell. Yes.

Rumor: Nolan for Justice League? (Article) - 3/5/2013 7:46:03 AM

Is there a reason why a World's Finest film isn't in the plans at WB/DC?  Seems to me that would be much more successful and a much smaller risk than doing Justice League.  The two principle heroes would already be introduced in the general public, and they're both heroes familiar to mass audiences.  I always though Wolfgang Peterson's potential take on World's Finest would have been an awesome movie, and now it could be workable.  Making Justice League strikes me as a much bigger financial risk for WB/DC than World's Finest would.

TV Wasteland: In Like a Lion (Article) - 3/4/2013 9:21:25 AM

Re: Knowing

My money is on the moment where Nicolas Cage slaps a tree with a bat in order to show off how tough he is.

The Boycott of Superman (Article) - 2/25/2013 4:09:08 PM

Kara,

I wasn't referring to Christians in SciFi specifically, though I get your point about the nature of the conflict between science vs religion. I'm talking about fiction in general, even outside the small genre of SciFi. Over the weekend I happened to catch A Few Good Men on AMC, which happens to be one of my all time favorite movies, despite its very obvious liberally slanted nature. Jessup and Kendrick are both portrayed as conservative types (Kendrick even at one point says he keeps a King James Bible under his bed), and they're clearly the villains in the film. I've never understood why Aaron Sorkin felt it was necessary to make them Christians at the same time (and Sorkin has repeatedly used conservatives as bad guys in his works since).

I'll grant that throughout history Christians have used the Bible to trumpet their own agendas countless times, starting with the Crusades. But there are also genuinely great people who happen to be Christians as well; the Tuohy family in The Blind Side make a great example. It's coming to the point where Christians are generally portrayed as shortsighted snobs just as Muslims are terrorists and atheists are "enlightened."

The Boycott of Superman (Article) - 2/25/2013 10:20:34 AM

I'm late to this debate, but I have a few thoughts after skimming through some of these comments.

I'm a Christian.  I'm a moderate conservative.  I've heard of Orson Scott Card and Ender's Game, but I've never read the book.  I might see the movie when it comes out later this year.  Prior to reading this article, I never had known his stance on homosexuality.

I don't understand the need to boycott whatever issues he writes for Superman, unless the storyline he chooses to write is somehow homophobic or anti-homosexuality in nature.  The likelihood of such a storyline is probably not very likely, given that Ender's Game has been regarded as one of the greatest science fiction novels in decades, and no one has accused that book of being anti-gay at all.

I noticed a post on here posing the question of why works of fiction almost always position Christian characters as villains/crooked in nature, while making atheists and/or anti-religious characters as heroes time and again.  I completely agree, and I would even take the discussion further.  Not only are religious characters traditionally portrayed as close-minded or sinister, but other characters traditionally make them out as fools.  Their faith and values are typically made to look like they've been brainwashed, and they're merely spouting off pre-programmed jargon.  Sure, there are Christians out there who are like that in life, but there are plenty others who quietly live their lives and keep sacred their values and beliefs.  Where's the harm in that?

I'm getting a little off-topic, so I'll bring Card back into focus.  What Card believes and values is his business, and I would expect him to more likely paint a Christian character as a positive hero than to spread some anti-gay propoganda.  The two concepts are hardly mutually exclusive, and if there is some boycott in place over Card's assignment to write Superman, why aren't people working towards boycotting all his previous works?  Why isn't there some backlash over Ender's Game being adapted into a feature film?

On the other hand, I can somewhat understand the boycotters' motives considering my own dislike for Roman Polanski.  I do not understand why any actors or studios want to work with him, considering he is a fugitive from American justice.  I will never watch a film of his so long as he continues to be a fugitive living in Europe, and I think anyone who does work with him to some degree doesn't care about his past.

TV Wasteland: More NBC Bashing! (Article) - 2/25/2013 5:22:35 AM

I actually give NBC a little - not a lot, but a little - bit of pity since they try doing series that aren't typical lawyer, doctor, or cop shows (I'm looking at you, ABC, Fox, and especially CBS).  Their scheduling blows, which is why their series consistently don't pull in decent ratings.  I wouldn't be surprised if upon Revolution's return, the ratings won't be nearly as high as they were when it had premiered back in September.  I'll never understand why NBC schedules 4 month breaks for some of its season-long series and expect viewers to come back after such a long period of time.  The same thing happened to The Event, and that was a one season and done series.

Ten Sci-Fi and Fantasy Oscar Snubs (Article) - 2/21/2013 5:42:33 AM

I don't really count Keanu Reeves as a bonafide "star."  He's had two films/franchises that were monumental commercial successes, and a very good argument could be made that The Matrix would've been just fine without him.  He hasn't really ever cashed in from either of his true successes, so I wouldn't say he's a bankable star the way Bruce Willis, Dwayne Johnson, Tom Cruise, or Hugh Jackman are.

Oscar Screed (Article) - 2/19/2013 12:04:55 PM

Stormrider,

Return of the King did.  It was nominated in 11 different categories, and won every category it was nominated in.  All its wins were well deserved, though the common perception was that the awards were given for the entire trilogy given its commercial and critical success.  It's really the only film of its genre to clean house at the Academy Awards since probably The Wizard of Oz, which still lost Best Picture to Gone With the Wind.

Hannibal Promo (Article) - 2/19/2013 8:30:35 AM

I assume they are semi-starting from scratch, considering it looks like it will take place in present day, despite Red Dragon taking place around 1985.  Could the first season end with Will Graham figuring out that Hannibal Lector is a serial killer all along?  Seems like a natural way to make the season end on a cliffhanger.

Oscar Screed (Article) - 2/19/2013 5:09:06 AM

I stopped caring about the Oscars years ago because of all the ass kissing and brown nosing.  The Academy voters are consumed with their own tastes in art, and the celebrities who show up turn the fiesta into a fashion show.  It's really offensive to intelligence as a whole, so I don't plan on watching it at all.  I'll catch the Bond tribute on YouTube a day or two later.

JACKWAGON'S MANIACAL PERSONA