All jamalcolm's Comments

The Fall of '84: Silent Night, Deadly Night (Article) - 11/12/2014 11:32:30 PM

I always thought this movie was inspired by the scene in Ernest Saves Christmas, where they are making a movie called "Christmas Slay" that has a Santa Claus character in it. At the very least, that's the connection I made as a kid.

Star Wars: Force for Change - An Update from J.J. Abrams (Article) - 7/21/2014 10:35:39 AM

Love that it looks beaten and worn rather than sleek and shiny. It has that real-world feel the OT had that was sorely missed in the prequels.

The Summer of '84: The Neverending Story (Article) - 7/21/2014 10:34:35 AM

I never realized this movie was about grief until you said it, and then it became very obvious. I've loved this movie since I was a kid and always suspected there was more to it than the simple fairytale on display. Thanks for pointing it out. Now I need to go watch it again.

Mania Box Office Report: Apes Rule (Article) - 7/14/2014 2:41:34 PM

Saw Snowpiercer over the weekend. Awesome flick. So sad that it didn't get a better release.

Top 5 Sleepy Hollow Adaptations (Article) - 9/16/2013 8:16:56 AM

A couple years ago, I saw a live theater version of Sleepy Hollow where Ichabod is a Puritanical dictator brought in to save the town from the Horseman. It was a very unique take, especially because Ichabod is an incredibly unlikeable character throughout and turns out to be a villain at the end. The whole thing was surprisingly good and very memorable. Unfortunately, I think the play was purely local. Every few years a theater around here does it, but I don't think it has ever been released elsewhere.

Butterfield Offered ENDER (Article) - 11/19/2011 7:37:44 PM

Just FYI... Mormons do celebrate Christmas.

Box Office: Families Give Box Office Thanks to FOUR CHRISTMASES (Article) - 12/1/2008 2:03:48 PM

<p>Caught Twilight and Bolt over the weekend. I thought Twilight was &quot;okay&quot; at best. My wife, who enjoyed the books, said she thought it was just silly. She thinks that a sexy guy leaning over a girl's neck sounds hot on paper but it's&nbsp;giggle-inducing on screen. That being said, it was far from the worst movie ever made and I am interested to see what they will do with the sequel, which (minor spoiler)&nbsp;involves werewolves.</p> <p>The whole family thought that Bolt was pretty fun. The hamster steals the show from the moment he shows up, but the rest of it was pretty good, too. It isn't as good as most of Pixar's other movies, but myself, the wife, and the kids all enjoyed it. Take that for what it's worth.</p>

Pixar Unleashes New Teaser for UP (Article) - 11/9/2008 4:17:36 PM

<p>Caught the panel on this at SDCC. Looks pretty interesting. I&nbsp;love the fact that the old guy has tennis balls on the bottom of his cane! The whole things looks pretty fun if a little odd. And the annimation, especially when they get where they are going, looks absolutely stunning.</p> <p>*** MINOR SPOILER ***</p> <p>They wind up on one of the extremely tall plateaus in South America, where very few people have ever set foot and have to physically drag the house across it.</p>

Mania on this Day: ASH Battles Evil, Dark Rising Hopes and Hooper's Buick (Article) - 10/13/2008 10:22:26 AM

Ugh. Didn't need the reminder about The Dark is Rising. Terrible adaptation and a missed opportunity. They took a good story and butchered it. Oh well. That's Hollywood.

Robert Downey Jr. Seen on Set as SHERLOCK HOLMES (Article) - 10/13/2008 10:18:01 AM

For some reason I think he looks like Peter O'Toole in this picture. I really hope this is a disguise and that they aren't playing "Sherlock the bum." I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, but I really want this one to do well. I love Sherlock Holmes stories.

JAMALCOLM'S MANIACAL PERSONA