All johnnykricardo's Comments

1 2 3 >  >>

10 Best Cinematic Mindfucks (Article) - 7/17/2010 7:16:22 AM

This was a really weak list.  You didn't have any of Fincher's films, there was no 2001, and you included a very lame remake.

Matrix is not a mindfuck, it's cool, but not a mindfuck.  Ghost In The Shell was more of a mindfuck than that.

Swisshammer's got a nice list.  Some classics, and some crazy stuff.

I would add Nothing or The Cube by V. Natali, Ichi The Killer, Dead or Alive or Audition by Takashi Miike, Repo Man (that's one serious mindless/mindfuck) and anything by Emir Kusturica.

HUNCHBACK Action Tale Coming (Article) - 7/12/2010 2:14:57 PM

I feel a bit affraid every time a movie is described as "in the vein of Pirates of the Caribbean".

5 Most Despicable Henchmen (Article) - 7/10/2010 1:03:42 PM

Wait... where's Karl from Die Hard??? He was a great henchman.

There's not a single henchman from Bond movies. You should make a list of just those. My vote goes for Dario: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2VQGLaAXj0

Lost WONDER WOMAN Film Art (Article) - 7/7/2010 5:51:13 PM

I think the animated Wonder Woman movie got it right: They changed the costume a little bit (no high heels, toned down the S&M look) and focused on the characters, the myths and the action, not too much on "updating" her.

The costume should change with each generation (the one you treat as the canonical look now is the Silver Age look that Lynda Carter had in the TV series, not the original with the mini-skirt), but I feel that the new one doesn't look good at all.  Maybe they should've hired Marko Djurdjevic instead of Jim Lee. That guy did some great new designs for the Marvel Universe characters.

***

I feel really bad after watching The Green Hornet trailer. It's a shame the way that fat guy dragged this movie down with his bad acting.

SCOTT PILGRIM vs. Summer Movies (Article) - 7/3/2010 6:27:02 AM

I'm kind of sick of hearing discontent about a movie because it's not going to be a big hit. Watch the damn movies you want and stop looking at the statistics.  Short term money is the problem of the studio, not yours.  Stop that sad behaviour.

This has been a summer of really lame blockbusters.  Not even the big box office movies have been that good (except Toy Story 3 and How To Train Your Dragon). Give a chance to some good movies you haven't seen yet: Ip Man, Cell 211, Splice, Defendor, Pontypool, Let The Right One In and the Millenium Trilogy.

A good movie stays with the audience for more than a weekend. A bad movie only has a shot for immortality if it's really bad.

The Twilight Saga: Eclipse Movie Review (Article) - 7/2/2010 8:16:59 AM

I never read the books, but I only got thru with the first movie because it became a MST3K situation: The fan scene, the "magical" baseball match, the guy saying no to a girl he has been actively stalking (not quite a real lesson for girls), the suffering for being an "outsider" while having men willing to give up their lives for her... it was just too much for me and my girlfriend.

There hasn't been much interesting leading female characters, and it's a shame that this one was written by a woman.  I have a little sister in love with the movies, but I still show her Wonder Woman, Aliens Vs. Monsters, Buffy, anime series and Dollhouse with the hope that that Twilight girl won't be her role model.

Pixar Dominates Box Office (Article) - 6/21/2010 7:25:55 PM

SONY, you're really weird, and you must be high.

The only movie that I think that didn't deserve to tank this summer was Splice... it was the victim of an awful trailer,  but it's a decent movie with really good acting.

On the other hand: Jonah Hex, Marmaduke, Furry Vengeance... all of them had it coming for being movies that should have being canned in pre-production.

The Karate Kid Movie Review (Article) - 6/12/2010 5:14:19 AM

I for one don't consider the original anything but crap. It had nothing to do with Karate, and more to do with contemporary dancing (lame crane kick).  No one in the original had any basic idea of what Karate was.  So, even if it's Kung Fu instead of Karate, there's probably more martial arts in this one than in the original.

I don't like remakes, but it's hard for this one not to be an improvement over the original.

10 Brilliant Foreign Sci-Fi Films (Article) - 6/1/2010 7:23:37 PM

Most of the times, american remakes suck so bad they diminish the source material: Open Your Eyes got remade as Vanilla Sky, [rec] as Quarantine, Wings of Desire as City of Angels, Swept Away as Madonna's Swept Away, La Femme Nikita as Point of No Return... the list is long, it sucks badly, and it's growing:  Le Diner Des Cons is being remade as Dinner For Schmucks (Note: "Con" doesn't mean "Schmuck"), Let The Right One In and the Millenium trilogy are on the way too.

So far, the only remakes that I've thought were actually interesting were The Ring and 12 Monkeys.  The Departed wasn't as good or interesting as the original.

10 Brilliant Foreign Sci-Fi Films (Article) - 6/1/2010 7:11:45 PM

There's a lot of cool ones missing: Tetsuo (Japan), Acción Mutante (Spain), Delicatessen (France, same director of City of Lost Children), Sleep Dealer (Mexico),  Man Facing Southwest (Argentina) and The Experiment (Germany). But it's not as bad as some lists I've seen before here.

JOHNNYKRICARDO'S MANIACAL PERSONA